Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to manage own backups with a cPanel reseller hosting account?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to manage own backups with a cPanel reseller hosting account?

AmitzAmitz Member
edited March 2017 in Help

Beloved Comrades,

I would like to free up some spare time by caring less about managing my own servers. I would be completely fine with a cPanel reseller hosting package for most of my needs, but I am always scared because doing own automated backups to offsite servers seems not to be an easy task if one does not control the host server. I do not want to only rely on the provider doing backups. I want my own, once a day, offsite.

How do you guys handle that? Are there newer and better cPanel plugins or automated backup solutions for this available than 1-2 years before, when I did my last research?

Really, backups are all that holds me back from having a better life. Please help me with your suggestions!

Thanks in advance & Cheers
Amitz

Comments

• ihadpihadp Member

https://whmeasybackup.com/ - Has been around forever, never used tit though.

Thanked by 1DewlanceVPS
  • @IHaveADarkPassenger said:

Using this and works like a charm, creating cpanel backup files :) You can even test it for free with 3 websites and limited features :P

Thanked by 1DewlanceVPS
  • DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

If you have a wordpress based website then you can use various plugin to automatically take backup of your website to offside server or cloud server.

You can find many php backup software and you will only need to install php software and setup a cronjob.

• r0xzr0xz Member

@DewlanceVPS said:
    If you have a wordpress based website then you can use various plugin to automatically take backup of your website to offside server or cloud server.

You can find many php backup software and you will only need to install php software and setup a cronjob.

are you for real?? he mentioned cPanel..cPanel..cPanel FFS!

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

@r0xz said:
    are you for real?? he mentioned cPanel..cPanel..cPanel FFS!

I admit my mistake, I miss "reseller" word. Any backup plugin will be good. I use custom coded shell script to take a backup of my WHM reseller account. Code is very simple "rsync and some code to manually copy home dir files and SQL files. ;)

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 2017

@DewlanceVPS said:

that would require the OP to manage the sites, and would, instead of saving time, generate more work. Now instead of managing a single server the OP would need to manage dozens of sites individually for backup purposes.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Ympker said: Using this and works like a charm, creating cpanel backup files :) You can even test it for free with 3 websites and limited features :P

Meh...

• No support for sftp as far as I can tell
    • Does not support ssh keys
    • No config around retention, etc. Not sure it even deletes old backups, and no docs.

The problem with whmeasybackup is that it's limited by the cPanel v1 API, so if it's not supported by that API, you can't do it. And cPanel has never updated the API because, well, they suck.

See? cPanel sucks.

Extended discussion about whmeasybackup:

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/80132/backing-up-cpanel-as-a-reseller

I was wrong in that post on port - you can change that.

This is what whmeasybackup is doing:

https://documentation.cpanel.net/display/SDK/cPanel+API+1+Functions+-+Fileman::fullbackup

For $11/lifetime, meh...

• AmitzAmitz Member

So practically all cPanel resellers out there either trust their supplier concerning backups or use deprecated/homebrew solutions to get their own backups? Pheeeew. I did not expect that. cPanel indeed sucks as it seems.

I will probably go on hosting my own VirtualMin servers then...

• Get a decent cPanel provider such as buyshared.com or mxshared.com who trust you with ssh access and then use the usual tools such as rsync, scp etc. to automate your backups from their server to a vps with some disk space. Works for me!

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Amitz said: I will probably go on hosting my own VirtualMin servers then...

This guy I met on LET - I think he was @Amitz - told me that VirtualMin is the bees knees.

slowdive said: Get a decent cPanel provider such as buyshared.com or mxshared.com who trust you with ssh access and then use the usual tools such as rsync, scp etc. to automate your backups from their server to a vps with some disk space. Works for me!

...assuming you own all the sites, right?

For example, if you have a client using Wordpress, how do you ensure that the client does a mysqldump every night so you can capture it in your backups? I can put a cron job in for them I suppose, but how many clients want their reseller reaching in and putting cron jobs?

Also, suppose tomorrow your client adds another database. How will you know?

Etc. DBs are really the problem here...otherwise, as you suggest, it's not hard to get it off the box, though I'd recommend something versioned rather than just rsync.

• ...assuming you own all the sites, right?

Yes I do, you're right this approach wont work for "real resellers"!

• FalzoFalzo Member

Amitz said: I will probably go on hosting my own VirtualMin servers then...

if you care to share what you'd think you'd need in terms of ressources and features and also what budget you have in mind, we might be able to discuss non-cpanel solutions ;-)

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Acronis should have some good solution for server backups with cPanel around September. Would be interesting how they deal with reseller access to them. From what I've been told there should be multi level access to the backups, so it might be interesting. I haven't seen any demos though.

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • I am havi> @Ympker said:

@IHaveADarkPassenger said:

Using this and works like a charm, creating cpanel backup files :) You can even test it for free with 3 websites and limited features :P

Why is not working for me :/ Not receiving any backup neither log files being created

• @jetchirag said:
    I am havi> @Ympker said:

@IHaveADarkPassenger said:

Why is not working for me :/ Not receiving any backup neither log files being created

Make sure to check Step 4) Special Note for running with register_argv_argc disabled.

Perhaps you are affected by this :P

You can also enter debug mode in your config but I forgot how to haha xD Contact their support very helpful^^