Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

British Columbia VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

British Columbia VPS

SetsuraSetsura Member
edited March 2017 in Requests

What the title says. I'm looking for any LEB-ish priced providers of VPS services in BC Canada. Only BC area, no Montreal, Toronto, or Beauharnois(OVH).

• VZ Type: KVM/Xen preferred, but OpenVZ is fine too.

• Number of Cores: 1+

• RAM: 128MB+
  • Disk Space: 5GB+
  • Disk Type: SSD prefered, HDD is acceptable though

• Bandwidth: 1TB

• Port Speed: 1gbps preferred

• Number of IPs: 1 ipv4, /64 of ipv6 would be nice too, but is optional

• Budget: 10 USD

• Billing period: Monthly preferred

Comments

• I only know of two providers in British Columbia, and I do not know if they meet your specs.

http://oneprovider.com/onecloud/ssd-virtual-servers

https://www.cacloud.com/

Thanked by 3Setsura szarka ehhthing
  • SetsuraSetsura Member
    edited March 2017

@dcamero said:
    I only know of two providers in British Columbia, and I do not know if they meet your specs.

http://oneprovider.com/onecloud/ssd-virtual-servers

https://www.cacloud.com/

I didn't know oneprovider was in Vancouver, nice.

CACloud looks nice as well, and I didn't know about them. I'll try them if I don't get any other suggestions. Thanks for helping me out, I appreciate it.

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

Not GigE or 1TB bandwidth, but it's in BC with a good network for local traffic (BC/AB): https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/59650/great-new-kvm-vps-offer-from-availanet

The folks offering 1Gbps are OneProvider and VPS.net/100TB.com - the bandwidth is trash, no local peering. If you're thinking of picking one of them, you're better just going with like Ramnode Seattle.

Thanked by 1Setsura
  • SetsuraSetsura Member
    edited March 2017

@Harambe said:
    Not GigE or 1TB bandwidth, but it's in BC with a good network for local traffic (BC/AB): https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/59650/great-new-kvm-vps-offer-from-availanet

The folks offering 1Gbps are OneProvider and VPS.net/100TB.com - the bandwidth is trash, no local peering. If you're thinking of picking one of them, you're better just going with like Ramnode Seattle.

I'll have a look at availanet as well then since I would prefer the local BC area bandwidth to be decent. Thank you for the help.

• Stay away from oneprovider, i actually ended up going with ramnode. From within vancouver i was getting 90ms ping and the vps was super slow. To ramnode in seattle i get 15ms ping.

Thanks for cacloud never knew about them ill take a look to.

The problem with availanet is the metered plans are all ways out of stock when i look.

Is there anyone else in bc near let prices?

Thanked by 2Setsura Nick_A

@thharris said:
    The problem with availanet is the metered plans are all ways out of stock when i look.

Ah dang, didn't see that. Can always harass @doverland for more stock.

Thanked by 1Setsura
  • @thharris said:
    Stay away from oneprovider, i actually ended up going with ramnode. From within vancouver i was getting 90ms ping and the vps was super slow. To ramnode in seattle i get 15ms ping.

Thanks for cacloud never knew about them ill take a look to.

Is there anyone else in bc near let prices?

Do you mind sending me the IP subnet? I'm curious about it.

@maldovia said:

Last I remember, they were hosted in the same location as 100TB.com/VPS.net boxes, same network. From 100TB: 192.111.132.14 / http://192.111.132.14/test100.zip

• @Harambe said:

@maldovia said:

Last I remember, they were hosted in the same location as 100TB.com/VPS.net boxes, same network. From 100TB: 192.111.132.14 / http://192.111.132.14/test100.zip

I would think TSS would be good :(

• SetsuraSetsura Member
    edited March 2017

@thharris said:
    Stay away from oneprovider, i actually ended up going with ramnode. From within vancouver i was getting 90ms ping and the vps was super slow. To ramnode in seattle i get 15ms ping.

Sadly I need to stay physically within BC or I might just do something like that too.

@Harambe said:

@maldovia said:

Is that for cacloud?

@Setsura said:
    Is that for cacloud?

No, VPS.net/100TB.com - which I think is the same DC as OneProvider.

I hit up CACloud for a test file before and they just ended up giving me a free month in Toronto & Vancouver to test out the service, lol.

• SetsuraSetsura Member
    edited March 2017

@Harambe said:

@Setsura said:
    Is that for cacloud?

No, VPS.net/100TB.com - which I think is the same DC as OneProvider.

I hit up CACloud for a test file before and they just ended up giving me a free month in Toronto & Vancouver to test out the service, lol.

Interesting, you have the subnet for cacloud they gave you an IP on? I'd like to do some traceroutes to one of their Vancouver IPs if possible. I'll check out oneprovider later too since it is only 5 bux.

@Setsura said:
    Interesting, you have the subnet for cacloud they gave you an IP on? I'd like to do some traceroutes to one of their Vancouver IPs if possible. I'll check out oneprovider later too since it is only 5 bux.

Was 3 years ago, but I just found the IP in an email copy of support ticket, range was: 67.231.28.0/24

Thanked by 1Setsura
  • SetsuraSetsura Member
    edited March 2017

@Harambe said:

@Setsura said:

Was 3 years ago, but I just found the IP in an email copy of support ticket, range was: 67.231.28.0/24

Seems pretty alright so far, I'll have to try more locations but cacloud looks like a good possibility. Thanks for looking it up for me, appreciate it.

• CACloud starts at $5 CAD (about $3.65 US) per month for a 512MB SSD server comparable to a $5 US DO Droplet, not bad although no hourly billing. But then it turns out that it has 10 megabit(!) connectivity and you can get 100 mbit for $2 CAD extra per month. So that puts it up to about $5.50 US. Still not terrible compared with other middle tier cloud vps (though I dunno what "cloud" features are available) about a but steep for basic LEB.

@Francisco do you ever think of putting some gear in BC? It would be of interest to those of is in the western US who might want to route some of our traffic out of here.

• Probably a tad late for OP, but I just noticed BandwagonHost offers a Vancouver location.

• For anyone looking for something similar in British Columbia try:

https://esecuredata.com/virtual-servers

ESD.VPS1 1 GB 1 Core 20 GB 1 1 TB $5 /mo

• willie said: @Francisco do you ever think of putting some gear in BC? It would be of interest to those of is in the western US who might want to route some of our traffic out of here.

If you tell me how i get gear from US to CA without paying insane taxes i have colo in Vancouver available for reasonable pricing - buying HW locally however kills any ROI chance for long time.

• EdmondEdmond Member
    edited August 2017

@William said:

willie said: @Francisco do you ever think of putting some gear in BC? It would be of interest to those of is in the western US who might want to route some of our traffic out of here.

If you tell me how i get gear from US to CA without paying insane taxes i have colo in Vancouver available for reasonable pricing - buying HW locally however kills any ROI chance for long time.

Have someone drive from Seattle (or next to the border, to Blaine) to Vancouver and hope the people at the border don't care.

• William said: If you tell me how i get gear from US to CA without paying insane taxes

I'm pretty sure it's just the normal sales tax (5%+7%). What taxes have you encountered?

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited August 2017

Ole_Juul said: I'm pretty sure it's just the normal sales tax (5%+7%).

12% is a lot compared to the 0% i pay when i export the servers to EU.

Edmond said: Have someone drive from Seattle (or next to the border, to Blaine) to Vancouver and hope the people at the border don't care.

Aside of being illegal i'll have a hard time to get this servers out of CA again later, regardless if to EU or US...

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Bandwidth is very expensive and there's only Harbor Tower isn't there?

Francisco

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited August 2017

Francisco said: Bandwidth is very expensive and there's only Harbor Tower isn't there?

i'd use Peer1 with my own BW (555 W Hastings), which is harbor tower yea (floor 21 i think)

• @William said:

Ole_Juul said: I'm pretty sure it's just the normal sales tax (5%+7%).

12% is a lot compared to the 0% i pay when i export the servers to EU.

Edmond said: Have someone drive from Seattle (or next to the border, to Blaine) to Vancouver and hope the people at the border don't care.

Aside of being illegal i'll have a hard time to get this servers out of CA again later, regardless if to EU or US...

Well... if you want it legal, try getting it to Alberta where there's no provincial sales tax and only the goods and service tax which is 5% and than getting it to BC. But that might get expensive in terms of moving the servers around.

• Edmond said: Well... if you want it legal, try getting it to Alberta where there's no provincial sales tax and only the goods and service tax which is 5% and than getting it to BC. But that might get expensive in terms of moving the servers around.

Actually i found another solution, but not as simple - with CETA i pay no/nearly no tax from EU to CA, but the next EU country (or what counts as export to it from the US) are the former Netherlands Antilles which is... far...

• TheOnlyDKTheOnlyDK Member
    edited August 2017

@William said:

Edmond said: Well... if you want it legal, try getting it to Alberta where there's no provincial sales tax and only the goods and service tax which is 5% and than getting it to BC. But that might get expensive in terms of moving the servers around.

Actually i found another solution, but not as simple - with CETA i pay no/nearly no tax from EU to CA, but the next EU country (or what counts as export to it from the US) are the former Netherlands Antilles which is... far...

If someone lived in the US for more than 48 hours, they are allowed to bring back $800 (probably CAD) worth of goods without paying tax. Cheap and legal. I've had friends went to Portland and bought iPads for cheap, then bring back without paying duties/taxes.

Ref: https://www.straight.com/life/new-duty-free-limits-canadians-what-you-can-bring-back-alcohol-and-all

• EdmondEdmond Member
    edited August 2017

@TheOnlyDK said:

@William said:

Edmond said: Well... if you want it legal, try getting it to Alberta where there's no provincial sales tax and only the goods and service tax which is 5% and than getting it to BC. But that might get expensive in terms of moving the servers around.

If someone lived in the US for more than 48 hours, they are allowed to bring back $800 (probably CAD) worth of goods without paying tax. Cheap and legal. I've had friends went to Portland and bought iPads for cheap, then bring back without paying duties/taxes.

Ref: https://www.straight.com/life/new-duty-free-limits-canadians-what-you-can-bring-back-alcohol-and-all

Hmm... I never pay taxes even if I declare that I went shopping and have stuff with me at the US border so I never really understand the duty stuff. I live in British Columbia so I sometimes go into the US. Maybe if your making money off of what your bringing in they'll charge you?

• TheOnlyDKTheOnlyDK Member
    edited August 2017

@Edmond said:

@TheOnlyDK said:

@William said:

Hmm... I never pay taxes even if I declare that I went shopping and have stuff with me at the US border so I never really understand the duty stuff. I live in British Columbia so I sometimes go into the US. Maybe if your making money off of what your bringing in they'll charge you?

If they don't care, nothing will happen. Normal shopping is different than carrying over a server, you will get taxed 100% on servers. Same goes for all other electronics.

• @TheOnlyDK said:

@Edmond said:

@TheOnlyDK said:

@William said:

If they don't care, nothing will happen. Normal shopping is different than carrying over a server, you will get taxed 100% on servers. Same goes for all other electronics.

The personal exemptions are only for goods for your personal use. Commercial goods are fully subject to both taxes and duties. And you do need to declare them; if you don't, CBSA will come down hard on you.

• @seanho said:

@TheOnlyDK said:

@Edmond said:

@TheOnlyDK said:

@William said:

The personal exemptions are only for goods for your personal use. Commercial goods are fully subject to both taxes and duties. And you do need to declare them; if you don't, CBSA will come down hard on you.

Yea, I'm buying a server for personal use, learning purposes. What now? Unless if they track me, find which datacenter i colo my server in and start DPI all traffic, they can't prove anything.