Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MySQL Not Starting
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

MySQL Not Starting

tsctsc Member
edited January 2012 in Help

@tsc said: `Starting MySQL database server: mysqld . . . . . . . . . . . . . . failed!

invoke-rc.d: initscript mysql, action "start" failed.`

That's basically what it shows, the rest is dpkg errors. No errors are logged to any log files, so I have no idea WHY it failed at all.

It appears other users on Dotdeb are reporting the same thing (at least in the initial 5.5 release post).

-

@tsc said: That shouldn't be the problem, since LES loads a skip-innodb into conf.d, but I did find something after trying to install another package:

120112 2:39:30 [ERROR] An old style --language value with language specific part detected: /usr/share/mysql/english/

120112 2:39:30 [ERROR] Use --lc-messages-dir without language specific part instead.
120112 2:39:30 [Note] Plugin 'FEDERATED' is disabled.
120112 2:39:30 [Note] Plugin 'InnoDB' is disabled.
120112 2:39:30 [ERROR] Unknown/unsupported storage engine: InnoDB
120112 2:39:30 [ERROR] Aborting

120112 2:39:30 [Note] /usr/sbin/mysqld: Shutdown complete

Tried editing my.cnf to add the directive directly, but that failed too.

Comments

• I have this lines in my.cnf

skip-innodb
    default-storage-engine=MyISAM

Thanked by 1tsc
  • DamianDamian Member
    edited January 2012

What version of 5.5 are you on? http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=55608

To disable InnoDB, use --innodb=OFF or --skip-innodb. In this case, because the default storage engine is InnoDB, the server will not start unless you also use --default-storage-engine to set the default to some other engine.

Try changing skip-innodb to ignore-builtin-innodb: http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.5/en/innodb-parameters.html#option_mysqld_ignore-builtin-innodb

(edit: yomero's fix is probably better)

• dmmcintyre3dmmcintyre3 Member
    edited January 2012

add
    default-storage-engine = myisam
    ignore_builtin-innodb
    to your config.

• tsctsc Member

Well, it started (with the default-storage-engine and ignore-builtin-innodb). Now why it wouldn't start even if all of those configs were removed (enabling InnoDB and keeping it default) is beyond me.

I'm installing from Dotdeb latest (5.5.19 I believe). It appears that this is going to happen with most LES scripts at the moment.

Thanks for the help!

• vedranvedran Veteran
    edited January 2012

Oh, wow! 3 almost identical replies in one minute, that's geat ^^

@tsc said: Now why it wouldn't start even if all of those configs were removed (enabling InnoDB and keeping it default) is beyond me.

Not enough RAM?

• tsctsc Member

Well, by that I meant I would have expected it to log OOM errors, but it didn't.

• @tsc said: Well, by that I meant I would have expected it to log OOM errors, but it didn't.

I've never seen one of these. Where they get logged? And in OpenVZ servers?

• tsctsc Member

Eh, I don't know if MySQL even does report those kinds of errors (git reports malloc() fails, at least), but that's because I'm inexperienced and I would expect good design to include reporting out-of-memory errors instead of failing without any notice.

• Have you checked the logs?

• tsctsc Member

Logs show up empty when it failed. That's what perplexed me.

• Are any failcnt values above 0 in /proc/user_beancounters?

• tsctsc Member

privvmpages is at 87. Considering how many times I tried reinstalling it, I'm not quite surprised.

• TigersWayTigersWay Member
    edited January 2012

@yomero said: I have this lines in my.cnf

skip-innodb
    default-storage-engine=MyISAM

And you are right :-) The purpose of ignore-builtin-innodb is different.
    http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.5/en/upgrading-from-previous-series.html#id508757
    http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.5/en/innodb-configuration.html#id1060396

• tsctsc Member

Eh, another problem. MySQLd refuses to stop for some reason:

Stopping MySQL database server: mysqld failed!
    Starting MySQL database server: mysqld already running.

I'm guessing it's because debian-sys-maint is never created properly during the installation because the server never starts properly. This is becoming too complicated...

• Yes, let me see..

Start mysql and do an

mysql -u root

Then do this

CREATE USER 'debian-sys-maint'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY 'password_in debian.cnf';
    GRANT SHUTDOWN ON *.* TO 'debian-sys-maint'@'localhost';
    GRANT SELECT ON `mysql`.`user` TO 'debian-sys-maint'@'localhost';

Where debian.cnf is the file in /etc/mysql/debian.cnf

Thanked by 1tsc
  • tsctsc Member

All right. It's actually working now.

I wonder what's going to happen with LE scripts (like LES and Minstall), though, because that's really complicated to work around - either you have to create configuration files before install or do all of these steps after install.

• Heh, well, IMHO isn't complicated :P

Probably they will update this later

• @tsc said: either you have to create configuration files before install or do all of these steps after install

Create configuration files before installing is - sometimes at least - not a good idea... But there is an official way to install without the autostart procedure (other scripts exist), and it seems to be working fine so far.

Thanked by 1tsc
  • yomeroyomero Member
    edited January 2012

Yes, click on the signature link of TigersWay :D

Look for this

cat > /usr/sbin/policy-rc.d <<EOF
    #!/bin/sh
    exit 101
    EOF

Thanked by 2TigersWay tsc
  • tsctsc Member

It works. My mind has been blown.