Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How much WP traffic you run on 512MB box?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How much WP traffic you run on 512MB box?

Hi,

I'm wondering how much WP traffic (daily pageviews/unique visitors) you run on the 512MB box. My will use OpenLiteSpeed or Nginx

Comments

• I'm lucky if 2 people/day read my blog.

• 2 people and at least 80 crawler bots

Thanked by 2jiggawatt yomero
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

jiggawattz said: I'm lucky if 2 people/day read my blog.

None of us know where it is!

dedicados said: 2 people and at least 80 crawler bots

Heck, I get 80 a day just from baidu...

• quickquick Member
    edited March 2017

I was hosting 2 sites with ~800 posts each on maria db, nginx (+ pagespeed), caching plugin ( I had to empty it x2-3 a day to refresh the voting results)

I was receiving 7-10k visitors a day in total and it started to lag in the evening hours, so I had to restart php, nginx and the db in the evening hours. Maybe it is possible to handle more, but with 1gb ram and the same setup it runs really good without hick ups

edit: yea, I forgot to mention all the plugins. My list is long: yoast seo, ithemes security, backupbuddy, etc etc.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

use caddy server as web server, or optimise the Nginx, both web servers better performing than Apache on low memory VM.

• WSSWSS Member

Install Ghost. Then you can run JAVASCRIPT AS A SERVICE! Sadly, it's still more secure than anything that's ever come out of WP..

• 22 megabetties.

Lots depends on caching, what plugins, how your database and PHP is set up. I have 200 WP installations on a 32G SSD 4-core SYS server and the load is barely above 0.5. This is with no caching at all.

If you're going to follow best practice and cache where possible, generate static pages where possible... you'll find out a number relevant to your question.

Putting a proxy/cache in front of your server that respects what should be cached is more or less what you need to do, and check that you have enough resources dedicated to your DB.

• Depends on server config, plugins, themes, and number/size of assets downloaded on key pages. You're probably best picking a provider that can non-destructively scale your instance if you run out of steam.

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@jiggawattz said:
    I'm lucky if 2 people/day read my blog.

I've got about 30/day on one of mine. It's on a VPS with 1GB ram plus CloudFront configured. Why? Because I fucking can, that's why. lol

Thanked by 1raindog308

You know, it's been a long time since I ran web services on a true LEB. I think I need to do that again... @KuJoe has 64MB VPS.

CentOS is out of the question...I wonder if Deb 8 will run on 64MB.

Thanked by 1Lm85H4gFkh3wk3
  • HostBasticHostBastic Member, Host Rep

It depends how well you optimize your WordPress webiste, webserver and mysql optimization will increase the performance.

• raindog308 said: You know, it's been a long time since I ran web services on a true LEB. I think I need to do that again... @KuJoe has 64MB VPS.

With systemd and 64bit-only it won't be like the old days.

I just noticed that there's a 32bit CentOS 7 template for OpenVz (https://openvz.org/Download/template/precreated). Anyone using a provider that offers it? One's I checked only offer the 64bit version.

• WSSWSS Member

@raindog308 said:

If you don't mind manually changing a ton of shit. Alpine or Wheezy would be fine.

sleddog said: With systemd and 64bit-only it won't be like the old days.

Deb 8 is not 64-bit only.

https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/

Hmmm...

https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch02s05.html.en

"You must have at least 80MB of memory and 680MB of hard disk space to perform a normal installation....installation on systems with less memory or disk space available may be possible but is only advised for experienced users."

But that's only for installation...not sure how much ram is required to run.

• WSSWSS Member

If it's OVZ, you're just getting a template copied over, so as long as you have some vSWAP, you should be fine. You'd be better with a 64MB KVM and the ability to setup your own swap space, but it's certainly possible to do..

wss@superteeny:~$ free -h
                 total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
    Mem:           64M        41M        22M       2.5M         0B        36M
    -/+ buffers/cache:       4.8M        59M
    Swap:           0B         0B         0B

That's running a simple static webservice, a backport of simpleinit, and ash.

• @quick said:
    I was hosting 2 sites with ~800 posts each on maria db, nginx (+ pagespeed), caching plugin ( I had to empty it x2-3 a day to refresh the voting results)

I was receiving 7-10k visitors a day in total and it started to lag in the evening hours, so I had to restart php, nginx and the db in the evening hours. Maybe it is possible to handle more, but with 1gb ram and the same setup it runs really good without hick ups

edit: yea, I forgot to mention all the plugins. My list is long: yoast seo, ithemes security, backupbuddy, etc etc.

Thanks for the answer, 7k is quite a lot for 512MB. I'm going to use KVM and OpenLiteSpeed as a webserver with their cache plugin for WP. Hopefully it will work with no more than 1000 visitors/day. I can't filter out all bots of course.

• @WSS said:
    If it's OVZ, you're just getting a template copied over, so as long as you have some vSWAP, you should be fine. You'd be better with a 64MB KVM and the ability to setup your own swap space, but it's certainly possible to do..

Ufff, I didn't expect KVM can run on such a small VPS, that must be some crazy minimal setup with 32bit OS. Isn't it ?

• WSSWSS Member

@ckissi said:
    Ufff, I didn't expect KVM can run on such a small VPS, that must be some crazy minimal setup with 32bit OS. Isn't it ?

Yep. busybox for most stuff, with the most recent dropbear replacing openssh. I modeled the filesystem after OpenWRT.

edited March 2017

@ckissi said:

@WSS said:

our heritage: https://lowendbox.com/blog/yes-you-can-run-18-static-sites-on-a-64mb-link-1-vps/

• WSSWSS Member

Every time this gets posted, I want to say "There's 128MB of vSwap there." The most interesting bit is that vpslink's prices and website have not changed since 2009.

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran
    edited March 2017

Centmin Mod LEMP stack user reported he was handling 90,000+ unique ip visitors/day on a 512MB CentOS VPS easily via Centmin Mod wordpress auto installer with WP Super Cache (way before latest beta added keycdn cache enabler and redis nginx level caching options on top of WP Super Cache) :)

Another Centmin Mod user is easily pushing 90k visitors/day on $10 Linode VPS as well.

Not unexpected considering my Wordpress7 demo site with Centmin Mod latest beta pushed 230 million hits/day on a 10,000 user Blitz.io load test on 2GB DigitalOcean VPS with WP Super Cache and up to 302 million hits/day with 10,000 user Blitz.io load test with redis nginx level caching :)

WebProject said: use caddy server as web server, or optimise the Nginx, both web servers better performing than Apache on low memory VM.

Unfortunately, caddy doesn't scale that well right now using up to 3x times more cpu load and 2.5x times more memory than nginx (Centmin Mod Nginx) from my benchmarks https://community.centminmod.com/posts/34379/ - haven't looked to see if newer Caddy versions are any better yet though.

Centmin Mod Nginx uses jemalloc instead of glibc for memory management so could account for some of it amongst other optimisations

• sinsin Member

If you use Supercache (or any other plugin which generates static pages of you Wordpress posts/pages/etc) so Nginx is serving the majority of your content without having to call php-fpm then you can fit a ton of sites/and or visitors on 512mb+ boxes.

• sonicsonic Veteran

16k UV/day, 8 plugins, 15k posts on 512 box

• fazarfazar Member

IMO, how much visitors that is able to serve by a VPS is depending on your VPS's CPU power.

• Honestly, a shit ton of traffic if your site is optimised for it.

Cache the hell out of everything, and as long as your content doesn't change a lot there won't be many 'hits' to MySQL. I personally use redis to cache most things. That'll reduce both CPU and disk IO... at the expense of RAM, however if you're getting major traffic, it's usually only related to a couple of posts at most, and so those 'hot' posts will be in the cache for certain.

Offload your comments if possible, disqus is great. That way, even if you're getting quite a few comments, your cache won't be ruined.

Also, odds are your Wordpress site will use a fair few JavaScript libraries, they're usually available on CDNs for free, use them. It'll reduce disk IO on your end, and speed up the load times for visitors.