Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is the best in-house GameSync solution?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What is the best in-house GameSync solution?

Heya,
Right now the situation is as described below:

I have 1 Laptop and 1 Gaming PC. Gaming PC is in my room at 1st floor, router is in the basement. I got a 100 mbit/s line but cant fully utilize it in my room as due to unfortunate circumstances only ~20 mbit/s out of the 100 I usually get in the basement do in fact arrive at my Gaming PC on first floor. So having been in some internet (gaming) cafes the idea is now to the laptop or a cheap small homeserver stationed in the basement (where the highspeed internet is) which stores all my large game folders and keeps them patching/up to date and then syncs these patches via Home Network to my Gaming PC in the respective folder, if that makes sense?! What software would you recommend for this?

Does it acctually make sense? What I hope to achieve or rather utilize is the idea of the intern home network being faster between my two devices than if I downloaded the game files/patches with the slow internet on my Gaming PC.

Anyway, let's see if this makes any sense at all. Shoot me your ideas^^

Comments

• Tried this once already and it lagged every 1-2 mins ;/

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

A) Move the gaming rig into the basement
    B) Ethernet over powerline
    C) Ethernet cable out of basement window/door and up the side into bedroom window

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • @pbgben said:
    A) Move the gaming rig into the basement
    B) Ethernet over powerline
    C) Ethernet cable out of basement window/door and up the side into bedroom window

A) It was but basement is now basically a huuge storage room and there is not really space.

B) I have this from devolo this is where it only delivers 20 out of 100 mbits. I even got a brand new device and it wouldnt get any better. Even the guys from the tech store said it should be around 70 out of100 mbits atleast which is to be expected. Two seperate powerline currents seem to be the problem here.

C) Unfortunate placement of room/basement window makes this impossible.

• JackHJackH Member

If you just want to sync the files, rsync. If you're looking for something easier to setup that would work across multiple computers, I'm a big fan of Resilio/BTSync, even if it has decided to go down the commercial route. There is a free version that would fit your needs.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2017

Hello,

i would rather solve the issue and get near 100 mbits between your gaming pc and the router.

I read your original post thre times and did not completely get it. Is the gaming pc plugged on the router using a rj45 cable ? If yes the cable should be less than 50 meters, check if the cable is not pinched, there should also not be any 90° angle.

• dedicadosdedicados Member
    edited March 2017

go for a CAT6 shielded cable.

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited March 2017

@Ikoula said:
    Hello,

i would rather solve the issue and get near 100 mbits between your gaming pc and the router.

I read your original post thre times and did not completely get it. Is the gaming pc plugged on the router using a rj45 cable ? If yes the cable should be less than 50 meters, check if the cable is not pinched, there should also not be any 90° angle.

Setup looks like this :P I'm using devolo d-lan to connect pc to internet.

50m cable is not an option as I cant have a cable going through whole house.

I understand your issue now, is your room on the same axe as the storage room ?

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited March 2017

@Ikoula said:
    I understand your issue now, is your room on the same axe as the storage room ?

Uhm it is sorta 2 floors above the room next to the storage room.

If i were you i would use a big drill to make a hole in the floors.

If you can't, you may call an electrician he may think about something we don't, maybe use an external "rail" to allow you to plug a rj 45 cable.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited March 2017

@Ikoula said:
    If i were you i would use a big drill to make a hole in the floors.

If you can't, you may call an electrician he may think about something we don't, maybe use an external "rail" to allow you to plug a rj 45 cable.

Yeah planning to do that acctually haha xD
    Got myself a TP Link with gbits port and an Rj 45 now

• DH22DH22 Member

Not sure why you just don't use wireless. A good wireless router/AP combined with a good wireless adapter/bridge is more reliable in most cases than powerline, especially for gaming.

• @DH22 said:
    Not sure why you just don't use wireless. A good wireless router/AP combined with a good wireless adapter/bridge is more reliable in most cases than powerline, especially for gaming.

The reasons I do not use wireless on my gaming rig:
    1) Wireless speed is only little more ~25 mbit/s
    2) Wirless I have 50 ms ping and with D-LAN I got 20 ms ping. In some games I acctually do feel that tiny difference.

Just a quick headsup:
    @Ikoula was probably pointing me just in the right directions. I bought a TP Link D-LAN now with a RJ 45 cable. It comes with a Gigabit port instead of 500 mbit/s port (which is what my devolo has). Right now I am getting 50 mbit/s out of 100 which is perfectly fine :)
    Enough to enable me to keep my gaming rig upstairs and not move down in the basement to online-game again.
    Just downloaded Borderlands 2 within ~20 mins. Totally fine :)

:)

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited March 2017

You could use RJ45 CAT6 STP cables (expensive), UTP would work too, you should be fine if less than 100 meters.
    Router needs to be gbit as well.
    Latency should be 1-20ms max.
    We got less than 1 ms in our office. About 50 meters of CAT6 cabling.