Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Virtualizor VPS Migration
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Virtualizor VPS Migration

UmairUmair Member

Hello,

Many people here use Virtualizor so I am asking it here. (Hard to get support from them on weekends)

Have you used Virtualizor VPS Migration option? I added a slave server and I am trying to migrate a vps to a new server (in same DC connected via 1gbps connection).

The migration is working but the speed is toooo slow. If I wget or sync the file directly, I am getting full 100MB/s download (1Gbps) but with Virtualizor migration process, it goes form 1MB/s to 18MB/s and giving me 5+hours of expected time for a small tiny 50GB VM. (Just 15 GB used data).

The migration process has been running for over 1 hour now and just 20% done.
(This is a KVM node)

Thanks

Comments

• vpsGODvpsGOD Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2017

In the migration, their will be an option to increase the speed and avoid compression before migration.

Migration speed depends on the system load in old server

Thanked by 1Umair
  • RIYADRIYAD Member, Patron Provider

Umair , If you are trying to move one vps , you can do it using scp command might be much faster , even though it a manual process .

Did you checked this option while migrating

"Speed Limit for transfering VPS(s) data (in Mbps)" because if you do not put any higher transfer speed , then the transfer will be capped at 10MB/s by default . So you put like 500-1000mbps in there and the transfer should be faster then before .

Thanked by 1Umair
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

What sort of encryption are you using?

Is compression enabled?

What is your byte size?

@virtualizor this is why I suggested you disable 'throttle', the act of throttling often is the cause of the performance issue to begin with and allowing people to select arcfour256 for internal transfers.

Thanked by 1Umair
  • UmairUmair Member

Thanks Guys,

Looks like a need a strong cup of coffee. I didn't read that I must add a higher speed limit. I thought I am not adding any limit, it will use full speed.

@RIYAD
    I was doing this mainly to test how Virtualizor works. Was a small VM so thought it be quick.

I read the description again and Virtualizor says if I dont add a number, default is 100Mbps. But it felt like it was a dialup.

• UmairUmair Member

@AnthonySmith said:
    What sort of encryption are you using?

Is compression enabled?

What is your byte size?

I left the last three options to default. ie. didn't do anything with
    Delete the Source VPS
    Speed Limit for transfering VPS(s) data (in Mbps)
    Disable Compression

So I believe compression was enabled, speed was default which should be 100Mbps. Not sure about the Byte size. Where do I check that.

Both nodes are empty. (Just 2 small vps running)

@virtualizor
    You guys should really work on the site and docs. And also act on the community feedback.
    http://www.virtualizor.com/wiki/Migrating_KVM_VM (No doc)

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Not really, they use gzip for compression which is limited to a single core, if that is contended then you are actually slowing things down usually by using compression.

Thanked by 1Umair
  • BharatBBharatB Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 2017

dd if=/path/to/lvm | pv -L 1000M -s 10G -f 2>/tmp/transfer.log | gzip -2 | ssh -i /path/to/key -p ssh_port -o StrictHostKeyChecking=no root@dest_server_ip -- "gunzip | dd of=/path/to/lvm"

You can use this too, instead of throttle I came up with pv

• BharatBBharatB Member, Patron Provider

@Umair said:
    @virtualizor
    You guys should really work on the site and docs. And also act on the community feedback.
    http://www.virtualizor.com/wiki/Migrating_KVM_VM (No doc)

http://www.virtualizor.com/wiki/GUI_Migration