Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SSH file transfers time out on other port than 22!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SSH file transfers time out on other port than 22!

littleguylittleguy Member
edited January 2012 in General

I have this weird problem, I set the Port directive of my sshd config to another port (>1024) and it seems when I connect via FileZilla the directory listing fails after a timeout error. Connections to console (Putty, ssh etc) work fine.

Has anyone experienced this, or knows why it happens?

Comments

• Maybe FileZilla has problems with non-standart ports, have you tried connecting with WinSCP?

• If you use the quick connect bar, you must put

sftp://my.ip.add.ress

And of course the new port.

Otherwise it will try to connect via FTP to that port

• This may be an issue with your local router. If I connect my laptop to my DSL modem's wireless function, it tends to time out on some things frequently, including file transfers. If I connect to my Asus wireless router that's running Tomato, I never have any problems.

• Some googleing suggests flipping between passive and active modes. If that doesn't help, try this:

http://www.nodans.com/index.cfm/2008/4/24/Fix-for-Filezilla-Failing-to-Retrieve-Directory-Listing

Are you getting any sort of error in the top window?

Anything in the vps' error logs? (Which error logs would we be looking in anyway? Have you switched over to dropbear for ssh connections or something else?)

• @drmike said: Some googleing suggests flipping between passive and active modes. If that doesn't help, try this:

I think thats only related to FTP.
    Isn't SFTP a completly different protocol?

• @gsrdgrdghd said: Isn't SFTP a completly different protocol?

May be but I believe I see a define when I connect via sftp. I'm on a locked down wireless network so I can't check from here. No ssh from here.

• Thanks for everyones answer. It was indeed my FileZilla settings that were faulty, but FileZilla did have a finger in this:
    !(http://i.imgur.com/kKm6m.png)

Not sure how you can fail this hard with a simple IP checker, but they did.

• Active mode?!?!? WTF

But that is just for FTP, not for SFTP :|

• @yomero said: Active mode?!?!? WTF

I agree it is weird, even in my FTP settings I have Passive set as default.
    It works fine now though, maybe it was something intermittent with my connection, although that doesn't make sense as it worked fine yesterday after going back to port 22.

• To amend my previous reply, I believe it's an intermittent connection issue to the VPS itself.

I've been having bad luck with providers lately. First I had real bad issues with QuickWeb ( http://www.lowendbox.com/blog/quickweb-35-88year-256mb-openvz-vps-in-uk/#comment-58455 ) now I'm with ThrustVPS and they are having some significant lag spikes today.

How much do you have to pay to not have an unstable VPS? :P

• How much... hmmm... I don't know. When the problems come from the network, any provider can fail.

About the Quickweb issue... is a shame, lol