Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's a good ping for a desktop box?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What's a good ping for a desktop box?

raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

If I wanted to put a desktop box in da cloud - e.g., run a Linux desktop or Windows - what ms should I target for good interactive performance?

Main use would be Photoshop or other photo editing, office-type apps, web browsing, Dropbox, etc. Also probably a bit of IDE-based code editing. Assume the box has enough cpu/ram/io.

I have a box that is ~80-90ms away from me and it's OK for what it does, but it's still a bit jittery and I wouldn't want to try using it as a real desktop.

Comments

• For me, less than 50ms and it's "almost" like working in front of a physical desktop.

• henkbhenkb Member

I would like it as close as possible.
    So, 15-20ms would be nice, max 35ms or something.
    90ms, is like from NL to New Jersey USA on a good day.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 2017

Anything under 40ms I find to work perfectly fine with RDP.

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

Also, remember to forward UDP!

• WSSWSS Member

400ms is perfectly fine for cmd/browser access remotely- it all depends on what you're doing.

Using a remote desktop to code in an IDE is kind of, well, silly.

Thanked by 1johnnymatt
  • IshaqIshaq Member

Doesn't PS need a decent GPU?

• sergsergiusergsergiu Member
    edited March 2017

Home Server with a good connection. In romania is cheap, 1000Mbps down / 500Mbps up (~9E/mo "Fiberlink") unmetered. This provider ("RDS") is the biggest provider here, so if i'm out of my home and need to use RDP, this connection is still better than any hosted server in any datacenter. Maybe a similar solution is good for you too..(cheap too)

HomeServer to Frankfurt Vultr:
    64 bytes from 108.61.210.117.vultr.com (108.61.210.117): icmp_seq=1 ttl=54 time=31.8 ms

vultr.com.1000MB.bin 40%[=..>] 404.25M 20.6MB/s eta 47s

FrankFurt to Homeserver:

6%[=========>] 260.44M 17.5MB/s

"Reply from 10.10.10.100: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64" :)) This is a good ping xD

• TheOnlyDKTheOnlyDK Member
    edited March 2017

I've used Citrix XenApp remote desktop with 180ms ping, web browsing, word prossing, sending emails were all fine. Optimization > pure latency.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited March 2017

It's all about the protocol. Used to be that RDP was the best remote desktop I'd experienced, but that was only until I tried x2go. I've had perfectly pleasant remote desktop experiences with over 100ms latency using x2go. Because it's not about streaming it like a video. That's the key.

• raindog308 said: Photoshop or other photo editing

That sounds awful on any kind of remote box, due to slinging so many pixels around as you drag the cursor to move parts of the picture, etc.

• HostBasticHostBastic Member, Host Rep

RDP can work with anything from 40-150ms, but in your situation the graphical intense part might really slow things down. You will need quite a fast internet connection yourself and the server to be close by(40-60ms).

• @WSS said:

Using a remote desktop to code in an IDE is kind of, well, silly.

vim laughs maniacally ;)

I believe it was created, to work with network latency.

• YuraYura Member
    edited March 2017

@raindog308,

I can recommend WANem, "The Wide Area Network emulator" to set up a test environment for latency issues. Just remember to set half the latency on ingoing and the other half on outgoing packets, e.g. 100 + 100 to emulate a 200ms latency.

RDP and x2go are two good candidates windows remote access. You may want to play with connection and compression settings for x2go and install their software on the windows machine to have any possible improvement over standard RDP connection.

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

jarland said: It's all about the protocol. Used to be that RDP was the best remote desktop I'd experienced, but that was only until I tried x2go. I've had perfectly pleasant remote desktop experiences with over 100ms latency using x2go. Because it's not about streaming it like a video. That's the key.

RDP is not streaming it like a video either, otherwise yes, the experience heavily depends on the protocol. For example you don't want to be using VNC on high pings (and RDP to a *nix machine is based on VNC under the hood).

Thanked by 2jar Maounique
  • hawchawc Moderator, LIR

I RDP from London to a box in Los Angeles all day long. 150ms latency is fine for word processing/Outlook/SSH to other servers. Some lag when web browsing dynamic content heavy sites though

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited March 2017

hawc said: Some lag when web browsing dynamic content heavy sites though

If you do not use flash and other kind of movies, 150 ms is usable, but under 50 is best.
    RDP works good enough, but, of course, x2go is a different beast.
    I use RDP 50% of the time I use a desktop, from machines in my lan, to some in US. While VNC is indeed the base for xrdp, it is transferred on the remote machine, so the actual ping is not really having anything to say in this equation. I don't see a difference between native RDP and xrdp, they are both unsuitable for video and most games and suitable for something else.

• k0nslk0nsl Member

I try to stay around or below 50ms, but I have worked on X2Go installations where the ping from my home connection to the server is 150ms. Needless to say I prefer the 50ms or lower ;)