Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A little market survey on KVM plans
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

A little market survey on KVM plans

aurigaauriga Member
edited March 2017 in Providers

Guys, firstly this is not an offer or advertisment. Some of you may be aware of my previous posting of getting funding to start a small scale VPS service provider. This is just a survey! How many of you will take a bite if the below plan were to be offered?

KVM
1vCPU (Xeon E7)
1GB Ram
20GB SSD on HW RAID 10
1TB/Month
1x IPv4
All the above at $4/Month

Thanks for your time!

Would you take a bite @ $4/month?
  1. Would you take a bite @ $4/month?88 votes
    1. Yes
      22.73%
    2. No
      77.27%

Comments

• WSSWSS Member

That's not a bad price for "Asian Optimized" IPs w/ protection, but I have probably as much idea about what is actually being offered from that one-liner as you do.

How much DDoS protection? What's so optimized about it? What color is the VEST?

Thanked by 2IThinkUFailed trewq
  • trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

Your specs and pricing are not competitive in this marketplace. BuyVM offers a better price than this and I would happily give them my money over a brand coming out of nowhere with no value added services.

Thanked by 2auriga Falzo
  • Quadranet is not that good with the DDoS protection, so wouldn't use it. Even if it's free.

Thanked by 1auriga
  • fanfan Veteran

You need something unique enough to attract customer at this price, a lot of good providers offer the same at lower price.

Thanked by 1auriga
  • WSSWSS Member

Guys

ASK ABOUT THE VEST

Thanked by 1dedicados
  • @WSS said:
    Guys

ASK ABOUT THE VEST

Well i honestly appreciate all the input be it good or bad. Being a dick like you doesnt help.

• No idea what "asian optimized ddos protection" means or what it should cost. So I have no idea if the proposed offer is good or not. My own stuff doesn't require asian optimization or ddos protection so I have to consider it as a generic 1gb kvm with such-and-such specs. At that point the pricing isn't attractive compared to alternatives from the usual places. If ddos protection was an issue I'd probably go with OVH (which is not so well sited for Asia traffic, of course, but that's ok with me).

Thanked by 1auriga
  • WSSWSS Member

@auriga said:
    Being a dick like you doesnt help.

It certainly does pass the time, though. I actually tried to give you some decent advice, but you have done nothing to qualify your abilities beyond being handed $10,000.

You're already spending $700/mo on a machine. That leaves $1600, which gives you $100/mo for other expenses, and $400 to pay someone to do the work for you. I give it six months. Maybe.

• Well, Ive just got a decent piece of server for a very good price, Quad E7-4870 :)

Now ive gotta look for a colo with good transits

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member
    edited March 2017

@auriga This has got to be harsh -

Thanked by 1auriga
  • @K4Y5 said:

It fine i can take a beating, thats life.

Thanks!

Thanked by 1PepeSilvia
  • K4Y5K4Y5 Member

@auriga said:

@K4Y5 said:

It fine i can take a beating, thats life.

Thanks!

Looks like you are thick skinned enough to enter this market. Good luck! :P

Thanked by 1ucxo
  • FalzoFalzo Member

Don't expect to jump into any low price market and make profit. If that is your ONLY plan you're not going to survive.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • auriga said:

Well, Ive just got a decent piece of server for a very good price, Quad E7-4870 :)

You bought one of those ebay servers? Good luck with the electricity bills.

Thanked by 1letbox
  • Could you be more specific about 'Asian Optimised'? You know though you can get a server in asia on a better price....?

• RIYADRIYAD Member, Patron Provider

will be the CPU core dedicated or shared ?

• @sanvit said:
    Could you be more specific about 'Asian Optimised'? You know though you can get a server in asia on a better price....?

Asian optimize as in it will have direct routes to China CT/CU from LA.

• @RIYAD said:
    will be the CPU core dedicated or shared ?

Shared

• Shouldn't it be worded as "Asia Optimized IP" instead of "Asian Optimized IP"? Asian optimized IP sounds spicy to me.

• Well, specs and price updated!

What do you think now?

• HostBasticHostBastic Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2017

Asia Optimized? What part of Asia? Most providers that offer IPs with optimized transit to Asia don't even cover 1/4 of China, yet alone whole Asia.

• @HostBastic said:
    Asia Optimized? What part of Asia? Most providers that offer IPs with optimized transit to Asia don't even cover 1/4 of China, yet alone whole Asia.

And some only to China. Its better if they said which ountry that optimized.

Thanked by 1HostBastic
  • @auriga said:
    Well, Ive just got a decent piece of server for a very good price, Quad E7-4870 :)

Now ive gotta look for a colo with good transits

My guess is a HP DL580, Good luck with power costs as those chips are power hungry, your gonna pay a lot for 4 of them in one server and then what are you going to do when you run out of disk IO for your 40Cores ?

• @WSS said:
    That's not a bad price for "Asian Optimized" IPs w/ protection, but I have probably as much idea about what is actually being offered from that one-liner as you do.

How much DDoS protection? What's so optimized about it? What color is the VEST?

I see neither "Asia optimised" nor "DDOS protected".

What I see is a boring, not at all cheap, "me too! I want into that business!!!" statement. I voted "No".

Moreover, a new player must offer either insane pricing or something really attractive to make up for the non existing reputation.

For comparison: I have more than 1 KVM VPS with that kind of spec (just less hdd) from 2 providers for 1€/mo.

• +1 to bdsguy

ArubaCloud 1 GB servers are €1 / month, and they give you a choice of five locations.

• Linode gives you almost the exact specs for $5/m. I believe most of the people will go for linode since you are new in the business while linode has been there for a long time (and it is pretty stable, And they have hourly billing, And they have additional addons etc etc)

• Make it $15/year, when people know you have reliable service then you can start raise the price.

• Ok, most likely to be offering something like this for $3.90/Month or $30/Year.

KVM
    1vCPU (Xeon E7-4870)
    2GB RAM
    15GB SSD on HW RAID 10 1TB/Month
    1x IPv4
    SolusVM Panel

• @auriga said:
    Ok, most likely to be offering something like this for $3.90/Month or $30/Year.

KVM
    1vCPU (Xeon E7-4870)
    2GB RAM
    1x IPv4
    SolusVM Panel

The problem you will find here is that the disk space for that much ram won't fit many people needs, Scale away do a better deal as they offer you 50GB SSD for I believe a little lower then that, you are trying to come into a business that is already saturated, you need to loose money to make money for a while :)

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@auriga said:
    Ok, most likely to be offering something like this for $3.90/Month or $30/Year.

KVM
    1vCPU (Xeon E7-4870)
    2GB RAM
    1x IPv4
    SolusVM Panel

Have you had similar pricing feedback elsewhere, or are you allowing one thread of replies from a forum dedicated to cheapskatery to shape your pricing strategy?

Thanked by 1deadbeef