Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Good Job, cPanel
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Good Job, cPanel

raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Before

Now We Auth the Key

After

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the web hosting industry's most reliable, intuitive control panel since 1997.

Comments

• Are you complaining because it promotes openness? :p

• You learn something every day. Never used ll, always ls.

Not quite sure what the issue is with a public key being readable, maybe a security guru can enlighten me.

Thanked by 1HyperSpeed
  • trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@ricardo said:
    You learn something every day. Never used ll, always ls.

ll is an alias for ls - l :)

Thanked by 2ricardo HyperSpeed
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited March 2017

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

ricardo said: Not quite sure what the issue is with a public key being readable, maybe a security guru can enlighten me.

authorized_keys has to be mode 0600 or sshd ignores it. cPanel really should know that.

Thanked by 3vimalware WSS lazyt

deadbeef said: Are you complaining because it promotes openness? :p

Depends on your point of view...since having the wrong perms on authorized_keys prevents it from working, I'm thinking it's not promoting openness.

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • @raindog308 said:

deadbeef said: Are you complaining because it promotes openness? :p

Depends on your point of view...since having the wrong perms on authorized_keys prevents it from working, I'm thinking it's not promoting openness.

Lol, touché.

• raindog308 said: authorized_keys has to be mode 0600 or sshd ignores it. cPanel really should know that.

Gotcha. I've came across something along those lines a few times, though I've just logged into two random servers I use and they're 0644. One root and one non-root.

• raindog308 said: authorized_keys has to be mode 0600 or sshd ignores it. cPanel really should know that.

I think you're confusing this with the fact that the ssh client won't ever take a private key without chmod 600. Authorized_keys as 644 has always worked fine for me.

Thanked by 1ricardo
  • Then they wonder why shit hits the fan. Nice catch @raindog308.

classy said: I think you're confusing this with the fact that the ssh client won't ever take a private key without chmod 600. Authorized_keys as 644 has always worked fine for me.

Holy crap, you're right. I've always done 0600 on both sides...apparently you don't need it on the server side. But you do on the client. Odd...but...well, you're right, cPanel's right, and I'm wrong.

OK, nothing to see here folks...

• frkfrk Member

Especially since theres no need to hide your pub keys from anyone, they are called 'public' for a reason.

• WSSWSS Member

just post your id_dsa id_rsa id_e6969 and that stuff. We'll convert it into .pub for you.

• HassanHassan Member, Patron Provider

@WSS said:
    just post your id_dsa id_rsa id_e6969 and that stuff. We'll convert it into .pub for you.

LMAO

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited March 2017

The authorized_keys file does not need to be 600. It can be 644 just fine. It is enough that the .ssh directory is 700

The authorized_keys files contains just public keys, which are... "public". You need to keep the private keys secret, not the public keys.

• Well 0600 is about private keys. You can put public keys on your blog public page :p

• Auth keys ok, key pair not ok