Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SixXS shutting down 2017-06-06
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SixXS shutting down 2017-06-06

noennoen Member

This landed in my inbox today.. I have not used SixXS for years, but SixXS was my first experience with IPv6.

Dear noen,

>

TL/DR: SixXS is shutting down on 2017-06-06 (in ~10 weeks).

>

In 1999, Jeroen and I started SixXS, a project which aimed to provide IPv6
connectivity to users who wanted to learn about the network protocol and
gain experience operating IPv6 networks. Our vision was to facilitate
migration to IPv6 in content and access providers.

>

We were able to provide IPv6 to 50'000+ individual users and companies in
140+ countries, using servers hosted at 40+ Internet providers in 30+
countries. We are incredibly proud of what we've accomplished together, and
how many people have gotten to know all about IPv6 due to our combined efforts.

>

We are reaching out to you as you are registered in our system as having one
or more active IPv6 tunnels. We have chosen a somewhat symbolic date of
2017-06-06 to turn down the SixXS services, which should give you ten weeks
to arrange alternative connectivity.

>

We have completed a retrospective and rationale document, which details our
experience developing and operating the SixXS tunnelbroker over the last 18
years. We have worked through our plans with the many dedicated ISPs that have
been involved:
https://www.sixxs.net/sunset/

>

We realize that SixXS has gotten a lot of attention in the last 18 years. We
will be reaching out to IPv6 communities around the world, to explain our
decision to them as well.

>

--
Kindest Regards,
Pim van Pelt and Jeroen Massar (SixXS founders)

Comments

• Used them actively few years back for their AICCU connection on some transient AWS services where the endpoint IP would change. And even have a backup link running today from home as a 'just in case Hurricane Electric stops working'.

Always seemed an odd bunch to deal with given the merit award credit system you needed to comply with to make any changes, but they did put in a lot of effort to provide a good [free] service where one was lacking.

Pretty sad to see them shut down, guess that leaves HE as the only practical option for many now, as native IPv6 is a pipe-dream for many ISP customers still.

• Long time ago they denied my application. I don't know why. Needless to say, i can't say i feel sorry for them. I can't say i'm glad either.

• WSSWSS Member

@cochon said:
    Pretty sad to see them shut down, guess that leaves HE as the only practical option for many now, as native IPv6 is a pipe-dream for many ISP customers still.

HE still actively gives away shirts, too!

Thanked by 3HolyCactus sin ucxo
  • Good for them

• I've tried to apply the registration a few years back, but they deny it, so I just went with HE Tunnelbroker. And the similar email that they're closing were probably last year, after that I marked their email as spam

• YuraYura Member

Offering a popular free service for 18 years? And they didn't sell out their clients information to any ad agencies or anything?? That's impressive. Only surprise comes from how long they managed to keep it up.

• Janevski said: Long time ago they denied my application. I don't know why. Needless to say, i can't say i feel sorry for them. I can't say i'm glad either.

Rejecting for usage on sponsored hardware/IPs even, random arbitrary standards imposed on participating ISPs to "use" the SW/backend by them.

HE much better, but other issues, interesting side options formerly/still (like PPTP). Other services... rare, some local ones appear and are quickly gone again (ipv6.net.id eg.).

I have something more automated coming up with a partner (thus with end user panel and automated RIR entries, but no BGP yet) but not too willing to sponsor traffic for more than just a few cheap locations (expanding likely Kiev/AMS and adding Hungary plus Atlanta, removing AU with NZ as replacement (yea yea, pricing thing) and extending HK to Gbit/BGP if i get to it).

Yura said: Offering a popular free service for 18 years? And they didn't sell out their clients information to any ad agencies or anything?? That's impressive. Only surprise comes from how long they managed to keep it up.

All info is public as it requires RIPE/RIR objects, thus nothing to sell out. They also did only really manage software and not provide hardware which was done by ISPs wanting tunnel users (either for their own users only or public/semi public/restricted).

• LeviLevi Member

Damn, such great software will be lost... They do not plan to release their sixxsd to the public. Insanely automated IPv6 tunnel broker.

• NomadNomad Member

Good for them.

• fanfan Veteran

@WSS said:

@cochon said:

HE still actively gives away shirts, too!

Nice to know they're still doing that, got mine years ago. :)

• WSS said: HE still actively gives away shirts, too!

never receive mine =(

• @dedicados said:

WSS said: HE still actively gives away shirts, too!

never receive mine =(

It took a while to receive mine but I eventually got it after forgetting about it. It's my lucky shirt due to a reason I don't care to say up here.
    Seriously, make sure you get it because it may just bring you happiness.

• dedicadosdedicados Member
    edited March 2017

HolyCactus said: Seriously, make sure you get it because it may just bring you happiness

well, it was 7 years ago in HE.net but, i will check.

• @dedicados said:
    well, it was 7 years ago in HE.net but, i will check.

Somebody out there is enjoying the luck of a shirt that was meant for you. Let this fuel your drive to get the shirt you rightfully deserve.

Thanked by 2deadbeef netomx
    edited March 2017

HolyCactus said: Somebody out there is enjoying the luck of a shirt that was meant for you. Let this fuel your drive to get the shirt you rightfully deserve.

wat!!!, i wil!!

Thanked by 2deadbeef netomx
  • sinsin Member

WSS said: HE still actively gives away shirts, too!

Damn right! My HE.net IPv6 shirt is sweet :-).

• WSSWSS Member
    edited March 2017

I'm a bad nerd. When my nerd shirts wear out, they become work-on-car shirts, then rags. I only have a couple vintage shirts left that are worthy of wearing. :(

God that OBSD shirt is 20 years old.

• Thanked by 2netomx WSS
  • Any chance for a viable alternative? I need something to externally access an endpoint which is behind a IPv4 ISP-NAT ... without any IPv6 connectivity besides the SixXS tunnel that I have at the moment? Maybe something self-hosted?

• salakis said: Any chance for a viable alternative? I need something to externally access an endpoint which is behind a IPv4 ISP-NAT ... without any IPv6 connectivity besides the SixXS tunnel that I have at the moment? Maybe something self-hosted?

you can use gogo6 ( dont know if still working) or HE ipv6 tunnel for free.

or get a VPS and install openvpn with ivp6

• sinsin Member

@salakis said:
    Any chance for a viable alternative? I need something to externally access an endpoint which is behind a IPv4 ISP-NAT ... without any IPv6 connectivity besides the SixXS tunnel that I have at the moment? Maybe something self-hosted?

tb.netassist.ua and HE's tunnelbroker.net are good

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited March 2017

dedicados said: gogo6 ( dont know if still working)

It's not working anymore since a year ago
    https://www.reddit.com/r/ipv6/comments/4escdt/gogonet_and_freenet6_are_closing_down/

sin said: tb.netassist.ua

From what I heard from people using it, they limit the transfer speed to about 200 Kbit (yes, 0.2 Mbps).

• salakissalakis Member
    edited March 2017

@sin said:
    tb.netassist.ua and HE's tunnelbroker.net are good

Both are 6in4, won't work behind NAT. OpenVPN is too tough on the CPU (needs to run on router).
    AICCU was actually quite awesome, it's a huge pity that it's going down the drain.

• sinsin Member
    edited March 2017

rm_ said: From what I heard from people using it, they limit the transfer speed to about 200 Kbit (yes, 0.2 Mbps).

I just downloaded a test 100mb file using a netassist tunnel that I use at Mikrovps and the results were 9.89 MB/s:

root@mikrovps-hvm:~ # wget -6 -O /dev/null http://ipv6.download.thinkbroadband.com/100MB.zip
    --2017-03-25 09:44:17--  http://ipv6.download.thinkbroadband.com/100MB.zip
    Resolving ipv6.download.thinkbroadband.com (ipv6.download.thinkbroadband.com)... 2a02:68:1:7::1
    Connecting to ipv6.download.thinkbroadband.com (ipv6.download.thinkbroadband.com)|2a02:68:1:7::1|:80... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
    Length: 104857600 (100M) [application/zip]
    Saving to: '/dev/null'

/dev/null                                        100%[=========================================================================================================>] 100.00M  16.5MB/s    in 10s     

2017-03-25 09:44:27 (9.89 MB/s) - '/dev/null' saved [104857600/104857600]

• @dedicados said:

salakis said: Any chance for a viable alternative? I need something to externally access an endpoint which is behind a IPv4 ISP-NAT ... without any IPv6 connectivity besides the SixXS tunnel that I have at the moment? Maybe something self-hosted?

you can use gogo6 ( dont know if still working) or HE ipv6 tunnel for free.

or get a VPS and install openvpn with ivp6

openvpn ipv6 setup is not easy. Any help?

edited March 2017

muratai said: openvpn ipv6 setup is not easy. Any help?

here are on the forum many tutorials about this, just search for it.

i will try tomorrow to install one, if you want to wait, i can confirm then which one works