Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How does google cloud pricing work
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How does google cloud pricing work

khavkhav Member

I am thinking of starting a new project with cloud storage but i am a bit confused with certain things

1.When you start a compute VM , do you starting paying immediately or its when you start using the VM
2.If you start paying immediately , how fast it is to start/stop a VM remotely

My use case : Users will upload some files , which i will send to compute engine to processing and then give it back to the user.

What is the most cost effective way to do this without sacrificing performance.Shall i start and shutdown vm at the beginning and end of every processing ?

Suggestions welcomed ....

Comments

• khav said: 1.When you start a compute VM , do you starting paying immediately or its when you start using the VM

I don't get it. Isn't the same? Having it booted means, using it.

khav said: 2.If you start paying immediately , how fast it is to start/stop a VM remotely

Less tan 30 seconds probably, for both operations.

khav said: Users will upload some files , which i will send to compute engine

If possible, appengine. Even more, cloud functions. It depends on what are you doing with that files, but for several use cases that solutions should be cheaper than having full VMs on Google cloud.

• khavkhav Member
    edited March 2017

@yomero
    I am just doing some lossy/lossless optimizations on the files and then return it to the user.I think i need to upload to google cloud storage to get a download url for the user.

What do you suggest

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I am thinking using an URL the user provides, in google drive, then since the whole directory will be writable for you, put the result back there. Tell them how to do that.
    Otherwise make your own storage with google drive and show them how to upload there.
    Just a quick dirty hack if for just a few people.

• alfredalfred Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2017

Tasks like this are exactly the use case for products like AWS Lambda and Google Cloud Functions, so take a look at those!