Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subscribe to our newsletter

Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

Latest LowEndBox Offers

Starting a VPN company
    New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

Starting a VPN company

YagoYago Member

I'm interested in providing VPN service to others but I have no technical experience other than briefly working with OpenVPN. It's just a little project of mine and I'm not under any pressure. What are some of the things I must know before starting such a company and what are some of the biggest challenges besides the fact there are lots of VPN companies out there already?

Comments

• You should know summer is starting.

• lpnlpn Member

Have you chosen a name for your VPN service/company?

Thanked by 1Maximum_VPS
    • VPNshVPNsh Member, Provider

Really research all of the different VPN technologies and get a decent knowledge on how each one works (PPTP, L2TP, OpenVPN etc).

I'd also recommend getting familiar with the setup of VPN's on multiple devices as this is where a fair amount of clients will need support.

Any specific questions, please feel free to drop me a PM.

Thanked by 1Maximum_VPS

VPN.sh - Secure and Affordable VPN services - £9.99/year, Unlimited Bandwidth, 20+ Countries - Order Link

• What are some of the things I must know before starting such a company

Here's a list of 50 things you should know before starting any "company" :)

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/start-own-business-50-things-30077.html

@Dragoon0309 said:

You should know summer is starting.

OK, make that 51 things you should know before starting any "company" :)

• pavspavs Member

Some of you guys are such pussies.

Dude asks for honest advice and the best you can do is ridicule him. If you don't have something valuable to add why don't you keep your opinion to yourself?

• Yago: It's in the nature of a VPN company to get a lot of abuse complaints. It's therefor very important that you have a dialogue with your service provider how to address these complains, and your service provider should know and accept your business model. I'm too looking to start one, by the way.

• I recommend anyone who is looking to start a VPN business to contact Keith at http://safesrv.net/freeradius-vpn-module-for-whmcs/ he makes this module for WHMCS to automatically deploy and manage OpenVPN/PPTP etc accounts.

• FreekFreek Member

I recommand you look into SoftEther if you're not planning on using WHMCS. It supports OpenVPN PPTP etc right out of the box. You can setup accounts that expire after X amount of days, throttle speed, bandwidth etc.

I also thought about setting up a VPN company. Most VPSes come with so much bandwidth nowadays, that running a VPN on them will hardly cause me to run out of bandwidth. Maybe, one day ;) I've got enough projects on my hands already as it is right now.

Linux noob willing to learn.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Provider

Subnet Labs, LLC Contact Us Deploy to: Seattle, Dallas or NYC
      Impact VPS | Cloud Servers | Storage Servers | Impact Shared | Shared Hosting

• If you offer free or trial VPN accounts, you will be attacked and your operation thrown out of the facility you are reselling VPS servers for VPN accounts.

I can name about 3-4 I've personally tossed out from companies I've worked for and 2 of them have been casually mentioned on here in the past. 500k PPS attacks because you provide free accounts is irresponsible and out right idiotic.

How to clean up a questionable reputation: throw the kids some BF/CM offers.

• @Yago said:
      I have no technical experience other than briefly working with OpenVPN.

You should either learn more or hire somebody who knows what they are doing. Not trying to be rude but "idk" Is not an answer customers take lightly.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator

Where would you advertise?

Jon Biloh - ColoCrossing.com
    • VPN is a crowded business niche.There are over 300 VPN Service providers.You must have a really deep pocket for advertisement(Some of the providers spend 100k/m) to be successfull in this nice.

EarthVPN PPTP, L2TP, SSTP and OpenVPN Access to 32 Countries and 154 Locations
    • GreenVineGreenVine Member
      edited June 2013

For module, http://safesrv.net/freeradius-vpn-module-for-whmcs/ +1

For market, I think China mainland is a good one, as I am live in mainland, you can contact me for more info.

For network, Asian providers are good, e.g. Hong Kong, Japan, Singapore and Korea. But you need to prepare lots of IPs to prevent mainland goverment's GFW.

• @EarthVPN said:
      VPN is a crowded business niche.There are over 300 VPN Service providers.You must have a really deep pocket for advertisement(Some of the providers spend 100k/m) to be successfull in this nice.

Some are poorly ran and if you're paying that much for ads, you seriously do not understand the market, your customers and just love to throw money in deep holes.

• DamianDamian Member

@doughmanes said:
      Some are poorly ran and if you're paying that much for ads, you seriously do not understand the market, your customers and just love to throw money in deep holes.

I've also learned over, by research over the past couple of weeks, that VPN providers seem to be quite adamant about offering "281491 servers in 191283 countries!!!!" which seems to be some kind of odd ploy to cover up a lack of quality exit points by having way too many exit points.

Sure, you might get one or two people thinking "omfg a Mongolian exit point!" or "I really like the Svalbard exit point!" but would otherwise seem expensive to offer something that 0.0001% of your clientbase uses.

• We do not spend that much however there are providers which spend this kind of figures.

• CoreyCorey Member, Provider

I wouldn't join the VPN business specifically because all of my competitors have 32 countries and 54 locations to choose from that I wouldn't.

BitAccel - OpenVZ VPS / IRC,VPN,Anything Legal & Unrivaled Support!
    • Advertising budget is more important than the number of locations.

• @Yago: first, consider your strengths related to this venture. Per your own admission, tech isn't it. How about marketing? Or maybe access to potential clients or a market niche? If you have that, consider starting off as a reseller of one of the many existing VPN service providers out there. I suggest setting up your own sales/billing/support frontend. This way, once your business model is validated, you have an option of moving on and setting up your own backend/operation or easy switching to another backend provider if need be.

Andrew Glodek | Special Projects Director | 香港國際商務中心 HONG KONG INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS CENTRE
    • @EarthVPN said:
      Advertising budget is more important than the number of locations.

How about a quality infrastructure first and foremost, not like these VPN company wannabes that sign up for LEB providers with the idea of "oh wow, I'll sell 10 VPS servers" then the first few 1Gbps attacks start coming in and all the sudden servers start shutting down.

I've seen many go this route.

• @Corey said:
      I wouldn't join the VPN business specifically because all of my competitors have 32 countries and 54 locations to choose from that I wouldn't.

What made you get into your over-saturated market?

• @doughmanes said:
      I've seen many go this route.

Professionalism versus summer.

• Professionalism versus summer.

You need to switch your USD$ pricing to $USD if you want to reflect professionalism on your site, FYI

• EarthVPNEarthVPN Member
      edited June 2013

@doughmanes said:
      You need to switch your USD$ pricing to $USD if you want to reflect professionalism on your site, FYI

Thank you for noticing.According to google.com "usd$" have 7.060.000 results, "$usd" have "22.900.000" results.Any other ?

• @GreenVine said:
      For module, http://safesrv.net/freeradius-vpn-module-for-whmcs/ +1

For market, I think China mainland is a good one, as I am live in mainland, you can contact me for more info.

For network, Asian providers are good, e.g. Hong Kong, Japan, Singapore and Korea. But you need to prepare lots of IPs to prevent mainland goverment's GFW.

I don't think so. Most Chinese only like free vpn.

Translate lowendbox into Chinese.http:// www.adminfm.com

My farther said: "you should study english at the place where have more native speekers."

• Most Chinese only like free vpn.

For spam (email and SEO) and receiving DDoS attacks. Anybody who offers free VPNs is an idiot.

• edited June 2013

error

My farther said: "you should study english at the place where have more native speekers."

• @lowendboxinchina said:
      error

wutz o.o

• xDragonZxDragonZ Member
      edited June 2013

$USD 1 or 1 $USD
      Hmm

• CoreyCorey Member, Provider

@doughmanes said:
      What made you get into your over-saturated market?

Been in it for over 5 years now... hasn't always been this way.

BitAccel - OpenVZ VPS / IRC,VPN,Anything Legal & Unrivaled Support!
    • albertdbalbertdb Member
      edited June 2013

@doughmanes What kind of DDOS attacks are you talking about? Those "unleashed" by the customer itself after doing that the bad guys get angry, or other VPN competitors attacking?

• @albertdb said:
      doughmanes What kind of DDOS attacks are you talking about? Those "unleashed" by the customer itself after doing that the bad guys get angry, or other VPN competitors attacking?

Wouldn't know but if I was a kid and saw a free service, it screams ABUSE ME

One such provider did free VPN hosting in exchange for forced ads on the client.

• @lowendboxinchina said:
      I don't think so. Most Chinese only like free vpn.

If you say most Chinese are ONLY like free vpn, that's incorrect.

As far as I know, there're only few companies providing free+paid vpn service and their servers (especially free servers) often down or blocked by GFW.

If you are dedicated to offer paid vpn service under an affordable price, I think it will be ok for Chinese customers.

PS: Never mention some words like 'VPN' in your website, at least in your Chinese website.

• :-P

@johnlth93 said:
      wutz o.o

• what does it mean?

@xDragonZ said:
      $USD 1 or 1 $USD
      Hmm

• YagoYago Member

If I'm going into this business I will be a small time operator so I can't afford to hire good help. Though, I lack the technical computer skills, I was wondering what's the best way to acquire them.

• You can start with being a reseller of a VPN provider.

• ZenZen Member

@Flavia said:
      VPN business now a days is a Game of number. The number of countries/protocols/servers you offer, more would be the quality of the services.

VPN White Label Reseller would defintely be a good option to stat with. So far, PureVPN is still leading the market in this sector in terms of offering maximum number of countries and services to their resellers in good price.

Holy necro

@HostBalls

• TheOnlyDKTheOnlyDK Member
      edited July 2015

@Zen said:
      Holy necro

HOLY NECRO of 2013!

• Ole_JuulOle_Juul Member
      edited July 2015

There's a lot of legal issues in that business. I'd start by researching the relevant laws in my own country, or country of operation. Users will expect good protection, that's why many of them use such a service. If you're in Canada, like I am, you may want to locate the business elsewhere because of recent change in laws here.

I think there's room in this business for quality. I recently looked at a list on The Register, and more than half of the biggest companies had what I would call unacceptable privacy specs.

Edit: I just saw the date. What's the idea @Zen? Are you funny?

• I think people use VPN either to dial in somewhere or dial out of somewhere, both for security and connectivity reasons. If you want to do public VPN business, you probably want to help people to dial out somewhere anonymously. Or do you want to help business users to dial in their company network from remote?

Freedom is the oxygen of the soul.
      https://solidtunnel.com

• TrafficTraffic Member
      edited July 2015

Ole_Juul said: Edit: I just saw the date. What's the idea @Zen? Are you funny?

He could be, but he was replying to a spammer who was the one who actually bumped the thread :)

That post has since been removed though.

vrtz.net Cheap VPS Servers Offers - now with EXCLUSIVE offers! (all links are aff links)
      $12/year HostUS Deal (768MB RAM+768MB vSwap)$11.29/year GestionDBI Deal (768MB RAM)

• Traffic said: He could be, but he was replying to a spammer who was the one who actually bumped the thread :)

Thanks @Traffic, but all comments above him are from 2013 so there is something (as usual) which I don't understand. How does one bump a thread without posting?

PS: apologies to @Zen :)

• TrafficTraffic Member
      edited July 2015

Ole_Juul said: Thanks @Traffic, but all comments above him are from 2013 so there is something (as usual) which I don't understand. How does one bump a thread without posting?

A spammer posted, @Zen replied to the spammer, the 1st post was removed (obviously - it was spam) so now @Zen looks as the one who bumped the thread :)

Thanked by 1Ole_Juul

vrtz.net Cheap VPS Servers Offers - now with EXCLUSIVE offers! (all links are aff links)
      $12/year HostUS Deal (768MB RAM+768MB vSwap)$11.29/year GestionDBI Deal (768MB RAM)

• ZenZen Member

And I'm the one that flagged him :)

Thanked by 1Ole_Juul

@HostBalls