Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Price & process for /24 lease
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Price & process for /24 lease

alfredalfred Member, Host Rep

I'm just daydreaming about setting up an anycast network on Vultr (they have BGP), but to do that you'd obviously need IP space. I'm basically a complete n00b when it comes to IP stuff so please bear with me (and hence why this is in the help forum).

I'm wondering about a couple of things:

1. What's the process like for leasing IP space?
    • Vultr allows you to use a private ASN for BGP (provided you give them a LOA), is having no ASN an issue when leasing?
    • Does the leasee need justification for the space? Is saying "anycast" enough?
    • How formal are leases in terms of contracts, etc.?
  2. What's a rough price for a /24 block?
    • Clean versus dirty block pricing (personally, I don't need a clean block but just wondering what the price differential is)
  3. Any other advice for/against this sort of thing?

Thanks!

Comments

• dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

If you do not yet have much experience and want to start easy, you might better do so with IPv6 instead.
    Requesting an IPv6 prefix will be significantly cheaper.

• VitaVita Member

@dfroe said:
    If you do not yet have much experience and want to start easy, you might better do so with IPv6 instead.
    Requesting an IPv6 prefix will be significantly cheaper.

Trial and error, just do it :D. What's the worst thing that could happen? :)

• dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

@Vita said:

Depends on what your aim is. But if my main purpose is to gather experience with BGP, internet routing and Anycast, why should I rent a /24 subnet for approx. 50 bucks each month when I can technically do the same thing with IPv6 nearly for free.

Of course it's just my personal opinion, but I myself would start with IPv6 due to cheaper cost and if it is worth add IPv4 later.

Thanked by 1WSS
  • alfredalfred Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2017

Thanks all!

I was thinking about IPv4 from the start because it's just more convenient for me (I don't have IPv6 from my home ISP), and so it's easy to actually build and launch my project.

Though you all have a very good point... I can just start with IPv6, maybe use a tunnel or something for access, then get IPv4 once I'm comfortable...

But I'm still curious about my above questions, since IPv4 is still my end goal and I don't want to start down this road if it's going to be more effort than a certain threshold I'm willing to put in.

Edit: Oh also, is there anywhere I can get the IPv6 block? Obviously I'll have to check with Vultr also to see if they support IPv6 for their BGP feature.

• ZappieZappie Member, Host Rep, LIR

alfred said: Oh also, is there anywhere I can get the IPv6 block? Obviously I'll have to check with Vultr also to see if they support IPv6 for their BGP feature.

Vultr does support IPv6 via BGP, and try getting a free IPv6 block here: https://ip6.im/

I would also recommend (for learning processes) to go through DN42 and learn some peering and BGP configurations for free and with no risk: https://dn42.net/

Thanked by 1alfred
  • busbrbusbr Member

Vultr allows you to use a private ASN for BGP (provided you give them a LOA), is having no ASN an issue when leasing?

No. @BunnySpeed just leased a block and announced at Vultr for their CDN. They're doing well.

Does the leasee need justification for the space? Is saying "anycast" enough?

That's usually convincing enough for your LIR.

Thanked by 1alfred

Thanks everyone! That's plenty for me to play around with over the next few days :)

Any ideas about pricing for the IPv4 block though? Oh also, would there be any difference between leasing an ARIN block vs a RIPE block?

• edited March 2017

alfred said: Any ideas about pricing for the IPv4 block though?

My Austrian company Prager-IT e.U. offers /24 subnets for 50 Euros per month, +VAT if applicable, on open ended agreements without any setup fee.

• BunnySpeedBunnySpeed Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2017

@busbr said:

Vultr allows you to use a private ASN for BGP (provided you give them a LOA), is having no ASN an issue when leasing?

No. @BunnySpeed just leased a block and announced at Vultr for their CDN. They're doing well.

Does the leasee need justification for the space? Is saying "anycast" enough?

That's usually convincing enough for your LIR.

Indeed, it's super easy. They just give you a private ASN. They've set up things in a few hours for us. The only problem now is that I've reached the 20 instance limit :D

I got a block from @Admiral_Awesome
    This went super smooth as well :) Would recommend at any time.

• For sure if you want ip's go to @Admiral_Awesome all clean ips and he is really good at keeping them clean to, plus he has helped me a few times with some issues which he is not in anyway meant to, just a generally nice guy :) im sure if you ask he can give you a lot more information when it comes to ips, i always ask him stuff and he answers me ;)

Thanked by 1alfred
  • VitaVita Member

@dfroe said:

@Vita said:

Depends on what your aim is. But if my main purpose is to gather experience with BGP, internet routing and Anycast, why should I rent a /24 subnet for approx. 50 bucks each month when I can technically do the same thing with IPv6 nearly for free.

Of course it's just my personal opinion, but I myself would start with IPv6 due to cheaper cost and if it is worth add IPv4 later.

Now on the serious note. If he wants to learn about BGB, he can just register on https://dn42.net/, and experiment with BGP on a private IP space, no harm no fear. It's a nice community and people are friendly there, also some LET members are their members also, so you can find people to peer with easily.

@Vita said:

>

Now on the serious note. If he wants to learn about BGB, he can just register on https://dn42.net/, and experiment with BGP on a private IP space, no harm no fear. It's a nice community and people are friendly there, also some LET members are their members also, so you can find people to peer with easily.

I'll definitely do that for learning purposes! But it's not my end goal (to make an anycast network), which was why I was asking about IP leasing and all that stuff.

I'm not just playing around for my project and if everything goes well I will need that IPv4 space.

• @Admiral_Awesome said:
    My Austrian company Prager-IT e.U. offers /24 subnets for 50 Euros per month, +VAT if applicable, on open ended agreements without any setup fee.

The sneaker bots will be calling you soon :P

• alfred said: Vultr allows you to use a private ASN for BGP (provided you give them a LOA), is having no ASN an issue when leasing?

Vultr, as far as i know, will NOT ANNOUNCE your space - you NEED your own ASN behind theirs. You CANNOT use no ASN.

alfred said: Does the leasee need justification for the space? Is saying "anycast" enough?

Depends on seller and source of space.

alfred said: How formal are leases in terms of contracts, etc.?

Same.

alfred said: What's a rough price for a /24 block?

Depending on region, seller and term between 5 and 100EUR per /24 per month.

alfred said: Clean versus dirty block pricing (personally, I don't need a clean block but just wondering what the price differential is)

Many ISPs will NOT whitelist or announce you a SBL listed block, it is worthless essentially unless you have upstreams that will (which still means global reachability is likely limited).

alfred said: Any other advice for/against this sort of thing?

Have your abuse-c and changed email in the IP object, to see both deletion/edit by your supplier(s) and get abuse directly without relying on them (as they are not taking your liability just because you do not get the abuse, and your gov does not like this either).

@William said:

Vultr, as far as i know, will NOT ANNOUNCE your space - you NEED your own ASN behind theirs. You CANNOT use no ASN.

Vultr docs say otherwise: https://www.vultr.com/docs/configuring-bgp-on-vultr ("In order to use BGP, you would need your own IP space (either v4 or v6). If you have your own ASN, you can use that or we can assign a private one.")

Many ISPs will NOT whitelist or announce you a SBL listed block, it is worthless essentially unless you have upstreams that will (which still means global reachability is likely limited).

Good to know. I had this impression as well and wanted to verify here.

Thanks for the other info too! By the way I submitted a request for IPv6 on IP6.IM ;)

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited March 2017

alfred said: By the way I submitted a request for IPv6 on IP6.IM ;)

Yea i get around it later today, probably.

alfred said: If you have your own ASN, you can use that or we can assign a private one.

Interesting, pending their weird BGP policies and RADB imports... might be ok to use, with LOA and tickets but not the usual setup they like/want (= mostly automated). Need to check ASN later for announcements but them only using 1 for all/Choopa is a bit more complicated (need to trace an IP).

alfred said: Good to know. I had this impression as well and wanted to verify here.

They work for some things, and most SBL blocks will work (DROP is another thing, but getting there is hard) but for a not specified enduser scenario the savings are not worth it. For a DSL ISP in Uzbekistan that uses them for CGNAT or the city wifi of Termez the importance of email delivery to Gmail can be neglected on the other hand.

Thanked by 2alfred malaiwah
  • Also submitted a request but forgot to mention that I'm at let plus I asked if you could give me a /64 only later realised that you need to annouce at least a /48. Shows how little I know about it...