Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AWS Lightsail.. any thoughts a few months in?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

AWS Lightsail.. any thoughts a few months in?

AdamMAdamM Member
edited March 2017 in General

I know lightsail has been discussed before in comparison to other providers. But now that we are a few months into AWS lightsail, any thoughts?

I went through the free month, did not do much with it, but liked it. I wish there was an "unwrap" feature that would unwrap the lightsail and expose the EC2/ESB under-the-hood.

Comments

• WSSWSS Member

Fuck Bezos.

• Only if you want to leverage the rest of AWS (due to cheap LS bandwidth).

• Probably one of the worst VPSes i've ever used.

Old hardware, slow network, slow I/O.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@maldovia said:
    Probably one of the worst VPSes i've ever used.

Interesting. I would have expected good hardware and network.

I wonder if the hardware is ex-AWS castoffs? Do you remember what hardware they gave you? Just curious.

Thanked by 2AdamM sayem314
  • HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@raindog308 said:

@maldovia said:
    Probably one of the worst VPSes i've ever used.

Interesting. I would have expected good hardware and network.

I wonder if the hardware is ex-AWS castoffs? Do you remember what hardware they gave you? Just curious.

We've got 20 instances running, doesn't seem like old gear to me.

# cat /proc/cpuinfo
    processor   : 0
    vendor_id   : GenuineIntel
    cpu family  : 6
    model       : 63
    model name  : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2676 v3 @ 2.40GHz
    stepping    : 2
    microcode   : 0x25
    cpu MHz     : 2394.530
    cache size  : 30720 KB
    physical id : 0
    siblings    : 1
    core id     : 0
    cpu cores   : 1
    apicid      : 0
    initial apicid  : 0
    fpu     : yes
    fpu_exception   : yes
    cpuid level : 13
    wp      : yes
    flags       : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx rdtscp lm constant_tsc rep_good nopl xtopology eagerfpu pni pclmulqdq ssse3 fma cx16 pcid sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic movbe popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes xsave avx f16c rdrand hypervisor lahf_lm abm fsgsbase bmi1 avx2 smep bmi2 erms invpcid xsaveopt
    bugs        :
    bogomips    : 4789.06
    clflush size    : 64
    cache_alignment : 64
    address sizes   : 46 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
    power management:

"Slow" I/O is kinda subjective. It's EBS gp2 storage (general purpose SSD). So.. for what we're doing it's way more than enough, but if you're used to local SSD storage then I can see why you'd complain.

# dd if=/dev/zero of=test_$$ bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync && rm -f test_$$
    16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB, 1.0 GiB) copied, 15.8119 s, 67.9 MB/s

Slow network = subjective as well. Personally seeing consistent 300Mbps+. I'm guessing they've capped instances at a respectable port speed for consistency.

I've personally got nothing to complain about with the service. Saves us a bit of money compared to EC2, especially when it comes to bandwidth.

Thanked by 2AdamM marrco
  • @Harambe said:

CPU and throughput is limited based on "credits". The more you use it, the faster the credits go and then you get capped heavily. Bigger instances start with more "credits".

• AdamMAdamM Member

@deadbeef said:

@Harambe said:

CPU and throughput is limited based on "credits". The more you use it, the faster the credits go and then you get capped heavily. Bigger instances start with more "credits".

Do the credits run in similar/same fashion as the T2 instances?

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@deadbeef said:

Gotcha. Guess we haven't hit any CPU caps or don't notice it with our workload. All 512MB/1GB boxes.

Anything insanely CPU intensive we're running on our ever growing list of cheap E3 boxes.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

• WSSWSS Member

• BharatBBharatB Member, Patron Provider

Amazing except for the lack of operating systems

• So... Wondering....

If the interconnect bandwidth between services in the same zone it's free. Can we use one of these as a reverse proxy for services on normal EC2 and other stuff?

That's probably the best benefit and use case of this, if that's how it works.

Thanked by 1Makenai
  • bapbap Member
    edited March 2017

Poor I/O, poor network. "Free for 1st month" is the only good thing about Lightsail. :)

• @yomero said:
    So... Wondering....

If the interconnect bandwidth between services in the same zone it's free. Can we use one of these as a reverse proxy for services on normal EC2 and other stuff?

Yes, that's the true benefit - cheap bandwidth out of aws.