Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Maxmind marks my orders as fraud
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Maxmind marks my orders as fraud

drdrakedrdrake Member

Hello,

Recently I have had problems with ordering services because Maxmind has marked my orders as fraud. Does anyone know how could this happen? Do they monitor IP-s? I have never cheated or tried to scam anyone.

Comments

• time4vpstime4vps Member, Host Rep

Register here and try your details:

https://www.maxmind.com/en/minfraud-form

Than if you think it is false positive, contact Maxmind for explanation.

• @time4vps said:
    Register here and try your details:

https://www.maxmind.com/en/minfraud-form

Than if you think it is false positive, contact Maxmind for explanation.

I don't have any login details. The form requires registration. Is there any other why?

PM me your IP address and email. I will perform query for you.

• @time4vps said:
    PM me your IP address and email. I will perform query for you.

Thank you very much. Sent a PM.

• Worse thing ever made, they marked legit orders as a fraud and kick off legit buyers, nothing about respect and privacy.

Thanked by 1PrivacyActivist
  • @jenkki said:
    Worse thing ever made, they marked legit orders as a fraud and kick off legit buyers, nothing about respect and privacy.

Yeah! I have been a customer for a hosting company for 9 months with regular payments. Now I ordered something else and they don't trust me and want me to send ID picture AGAIN. Also it doesn't feel right to me that all client details are shared with a third party.

• jenkkijenkki Member
    edited March 2017

drdrake said: want me to send ID picture AGAIN

That illegal in several countries,they not have a rights ask for ID, only local police legitimate to check ID. You have rights to refuse it

• AbdussamadAbdussamad Member
    edited March 2017

drdrake said: Does anyone know how could this happen?

They generate a score based on, among other things, your IP address and the geographical location mapping they have for that in their database. They compare that to the address you entered and if it doesn't match you get a worse score. Often what happens is that the IP-geo location mapping they have is incorrect. This is especially true for third world countries where your ISP might assign you a dynamic IP address that maps to a different city entirely.

Simply belonging to a third world country will also net you a bad score because, as far as most hosts are concerned, there is way more fraud originating from poor countries.

If you really want to buy hosting from a provider you should pay via bitcoin. There is no chance of payment reversal with that so your chances of getting an order through are maximized.

• jenkki said: That illegal in several countries,they not have a rights ask for ID, only local police legitimate to check ID. You have rights to refuse it

Just like they have the right to refuse to offer the service. It's fair enough for someone to be unhappy about being marked as fraud and denied; but it's not their right to be provided with the service.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

jenkki said: That illegal in several countries,they not have a rights ask for ID, only local police legitimate to check ID. You have rights to refuse it

I always smile a bit at that. Because I'm like "Well that's fine and all, but I'm not in your country so complain to the UN?"

Thanked by 1sin
  • Detruire said: Just like they have the right to refuse to offer the service

What seems to be a problem to say - No thanks then move to competitor who respect your rights? There no non replaceable things.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited March 2017

jenkki said: What seems to be a problem to say - No thanks then move to competitor who respect your rights?

That's the right thing to do. I have people all the time tell me they don't care about the laws I'm bound by because they're not in my country. It goes both ways. If your laws are incompatible with a company's policies, then you find a company that isn't incompatible.

What is hilarious to me is the idea that a company in one country should find a way to respect the laws of every other country in the world. Impossible. Unreasonable. Can't be done. That kind of globalism is a fantasy right now, it doesn't exist. The laws of one country directly violate the laws of another country.

Thanked by 1AuroraZ
  • jenkkijenkki Member
    edited March 2017

jarland said: That's the right thing to do

If provider instantly do not want me to be their client what need to do? Move out.

• @jenkki said:

drdrake said: want me to send ID picture AGAIN

That illegal in several countries,they not have a rights ask for ID, only local police legitimate to check ID. You have rights to refuse it

I don't mind sending the ID with a few numbers covered but I HAVE NO FUCKING IDEA HOW I ENDED UP IN A FRAUD LIST. Talked to Maxmind support, they don't give a shit. Can these companies mark me as safe so maxmind can fix their shit?

drdrake said: Can these companies mark me as safe so maxmind can fix their shit?

No.

• @time4vps said:

drdrake said: Can these companies mark me as safe so maxmind can fix their shit?

No.

I sent them an email. I have yet to receive an answer. The only way is to contact them directly, right? I am curious how can they make sure I am legit without a company telling them that?

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

I too wonder if maxmind is any good. I have better success with fraudrecord.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I use maxmind to prevent orders from proxies/VPN's and to do phone verification if you score very high, that's it, so essentially it won't block anyone legit, you are told about those conditions prior to order.

Just to add, I do block all orders from Brazil though, no exceptions, I have found it is not financially viable to accept them.

pbgben said: I too wonder if maxmind is any good.

Multiple times Maxmind warned us about Credit card fraud from particular IP or email address. 2 from 10 was false positive.

• @AnthonySmith said:
    Just to add, I do block all orders from Brazil though, no exceptions, I have found it is not financially viable to accept them.

Same for us, we also recently added morocco, we have 82% of spammer from that country

• @time4vps said:

pbgben said: I too wonder if maxmind is any good.

Multiple times Maxmind warned us about Credit card fraud from particular IP or email address. 2 from 10 was false positive.

In my case 2 of my emails were marked as fraud. Maybe it's because of the shared IP. Not sure where they base their detection system but one thing is pretty sure: I never scammed anyone or committed fraud.

It looks like it's impossible to get off the lists.. WTF!

• SpartanHostSpartanHost Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2017

@AnthonySmith said:

What do you use to block countries on whmcs?

SpartanHost said: What do you use to block countries on whmcs?

Maxmind has country rules. Just block unwanted countries and all customers coming from these countries would be 100% fraud by default.

• SpartanHost said: What do you use to block countries on whmcs?

A Module by Donald Trump

SpartanHost said: What do you use to block countries on whmcs?

MaxMind.

• time4vps said: Maxmind has country rules. Just block unwanted countries and all customers coming from these countries would be 100% fraud by default.

Sounds like racism, sort out by color of your skin, isn't?

AnthonySmith said: I do block all orders from Brazil though, no exceptions

Can you tell how many signups from Brazil you have per month? Exactly.

jenkki said: Can you tell how many signups from Brazil you have per month? Exactly.

That is not something I am going to share no, you have already shown civil communication is impossible.

jenkki said: Sounds like racism, sort out by color of your skin, isn't?

Whoot O_o ?

Thanked by 2ucxo doghouch
  • AnthonySmith said: That is not something I am going to share no, you have already shown civil communication is impossible.

I asked you a direct question, you do not need to shirk from an answer under any pretext

• jenkki said: What seems to be a problem to say - No thanks then move to competitor who respect your rights? There no non replaceable things.

Nothing. That's what you should do.

jenkki said: If provider instantly do not want me to be their client what need to do? Move out.

Yes.