Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Microsoft Windows Templates (DigitalOcean, Kimsufi, OVH, Online.net, etc.) - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Microsoft Windows Templates (DigitalOcean, Kimsufi, OVH, Online.net, etc.)

Comments

• ihadpihadp Member
    edited March 2017

and... I am going to bed.

• ihadpihadp Member

All those templates are outdated at this stage and only support a limited number of configurations. I am working on releasing several new sets of templates to expand compatibility and include updated drivers for Online.net, OVH SSD VPS, DigitalOcean and much more.

• lol

• @IHaveADarkPassenger said:

and... I am going to bed.

That's awesome progress!

• That was good news. Do you want to share what did the trick? ;)

• ihadpihadp Member

@myhken said:
    That was good news. Do you want to share what did the trick? ;)

My lips are sealed :p

It was really just the virtio driver, once I built the template with the correct one it came right up.

Thanked by 1myhken
  • GamerTech24GamerTech24 Member
    edited March 2017

@IHaveADarkPassenger said:

@myhken said:

It was really just the virtio driver, once I built the template with the correct one it came right up.

Are you using NTLite to integrate the drivers? I've been trying to set up a KVM VM on CentOS 7 and Ubuntu 16.10 with a virtio scsi disk, install it on that and dd it over to the VPS but it's failed every single time. I bought an additional disk and tried to copy the windows installer on that, but the SeaBIOS OVH uses won't allow me to boot from the external disk once windows is installed, unless I installed grub on the sdb and told it to boot from the sda with windows on it but that isn't an option.

My current attempt is installing OpenStack Nova compute on OpenStack Horizon on Ubuntu 16.04 to mimick OVH's setup, and hope that has the same SCSI option, then I can just load the appropriate driver in setup on that VM, dd it over and have it just work as it's already configured for that

• ihadpihadp Member

@ethancedrik said:

@IHaveADarkPassenger said:

@myhken said:

Are you using NTLite to integrate the drivers? I've been trying to set up a KVM VM on CentOS 7 and Ubuntu 16.10 with a virtio scsi disk, install it on that and dd it over to the VPS but it's failed every single time. I bought an additional disk and tried to copy the windows installer on that, but the SeaBIOS OVH uses won't allow me to boot from the external disk once windows is installed, unless I installed grub on the sdb and told it to boot from the sda with windows on it but that isn't an option.

My current attempt is installing OpenStack Nova compute on OpenStack Horizon on Ubuntu 16.04 to mimick OVH's setup, and hope that has the same SCSI option, then I can just load the appropriate driver in setup on that VM, dd it over and have it just work as it's already configured for that

I am using a KVM based virtual machine.

• IHaveADarkPassenger said: I am using a KVM based virtual machine.

Thank you, that's how I did mine in the past as well

• ihadpihadp Member

@ethancedrik said:

IHaveADarkPassenger said: I am using a KVM based virtual machine.

Apologies, my previous answer was very short as I was on my cell phone.

I am simply installing Windows via ISO to a KVM virtual machine and then installing the applicable drivers to meet each of the devices found in KVM driver pack.

• Did you get a chance to review the ipxe github boot for scale way?

• ihadpihadp Member

@Hadriel said:
    Did you get a chance to review the ipxe github boot for scale way?

I know very little about ipxe, however with my limited knowledge I am not seeing how that will change anything as you still can't boot from your own kernel located on the local disk of the machine.

What am I missing?

• It made it sound like you could do what they suggest in the post here:

https://community.online.net/t/may-install-my-own-windows-copy-on-x64-baremetal/2589

But maybe not.

• @IHaveADarkPassenger said:

@ethancedrik said:

IHaveADarkPassenger said: I am using a KVM based virtual machine.

Apologies, my previous answer was very short as I was on my cell phone.

I am simply installing Windows via ISO to a KVM virtual machine and then installing the applicable drivers to meet each of the devices found in KVM driver pack.

Are you configuring the KVM machine with a SCSI controller and using that as the main HDD so it has that driver? Or is there a way to add the drivers into windows once it's booted?

• I created a kvm vm using proxmox and was able to set it up with a virtio scsi disk, so I'm going to install it on there and then dd it over to the OVH VPS and that should work hopefully

• bapbap Member

I am curious to know, what @jarland thought about using this Win OS on DO.
    :D

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@bap said:
    I am curious to know, what @jarland thought about using this Win OS on DO.
    :D

Just don't ask me to fix it ;)

• ihadpihadp Member
    edited March 2017

@Hadriel said:
    It made it sound like you could do what they suggest in the post here:

https://community.online.net/t/may-install-my-own-windows-copy-on-x64-baremetal/2589

But maybe not.

Unfortunately I don't believe that puts us any further ahead.

The issue with Scaleway isn't the "installing" Windows, but booting it once you have it loaded onto the "local" disk. Scaleway machines (VM & Dedi) both boot the kernel from the network so you can't even run your own custom kernel let alone Windows.

This is the issue - https://www.scaleway.com/docs/bootscript-and-how-to-use-it/ & https://www.scaleway.com/docs/how-your-kernel-works/

• I thought you would be able to network boot it every time. Sort of like booting off of a VM inside of Oracle's VirtualBox. Such a bummer.

• ihadpihadp Member

@Hadriel said:
    I thought you would be able to network boot it every time. Sort of like booting off of a VM inside of Oracle's VirtualBox. Such a bummer.

I don't believe that would be possible unfortunately.

• I will just keep using OVH's VPS line. I just would have liked to add in the AMS1 location for live streaming events. Hopefully OVH gets their cloud up and running in Poland sooner rather than later.

• ihadpihadp Member

On the topic of OVH SSD VPS's specifically...

I plan on building templates for the following Windows versions.

• Windows 7 Enterprise x86
    • Windows 7 Enterprise x64
    • Windows 8.1 Enterprise x86
    • Windows 8.1 Enterprise x64
    • Windows 10 Enterprise x64
    • Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB x64
    • Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard/Datacenter x64
    • Windows Server 2016 Standard/Datacenter x64

Any special requests before I begin?

• ihadpihadp Member

@Hadriel said:
    I will just keep using OVH's VPS line. I just would have liked to add in the AMS1 location for live streaming events. Hopefully OVH gets their cloud up and running in Poland sooner rather than later.

Unless something has changed, they have been back hauling everything to France from Amsterdam anyways so it's only adding geographic diversity as opposed to network diversity/improvement.

Maybe something changed?

• Server 2016 is the only thing I use for my livestreams. So since you are asking..yeah that one :)

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

IHaveADarkPassenger said: Prior to me adding the donation system I was delivering over 1TB of template downloads each day. As the demand grew I really only had two choices, shut down the downloads or drive enough money to cover the growing costs...I opted for covering the costs.

Or use bittorrent.

I'd seed your templates.

Thanked by 1axionmak
  • ihadpihadp Member

@raindog308 said:

IHaveADarkPassenger said: Prior to me adding the donation system I was delivering over 1TB of template downloads each day. As the demand grew I really only had two choices, shut down the downloads or drive enough money to cover the growing costs...I opted for covering the costs.

Or use bittorrent.

I'd seed your templates.

Thank you! I will keep this in mind!

• GamerTech24GamerTech24 Member
    edited March 2017

I did it, use proxmox and set the disk controller to VIRTIO SCSI and create a new scsi disk, install windows, copy virtio drivers, reboot into live cd, dd it over sshfs, ftp, etc. put ovh vps in rescue mode, wget dd it onto the ovh's vps, and there.

Previously I used Vultr but this time I had to use proxmox but got it to work regardless.

I'll make new updated templates for my collection when I get the chance.

Thanked by 1t0m
  • ihadpihadp Member

@ethancedrik said:

I did it, use proxmox and set the disk controller to VIRTIO SCSI and create a new scsi disk, install windows, copy virtio drivers, reboot into live cd, dd it over sshfs, ftp, etc. put ovh vps in rescue mode, wget dd it onto the ovh's vps, and there.

Previously I used Vultr but this time I had to use proxmox but got it to work regardless.

I'll make new updated templates for my collection when I get the chance.

Awesome!

• Is there a way to install Windows on onApp cloud ? cloud.net ?