Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Microsoft Windows Templates (DigitalOcean, Kimsufi, OVH, Online.net, etc.) - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Microsoft Windows Templates (DigitalOcean, Kimsufi, OVH, Online.net, etc.)

Comments

• WSSWSS Member

do a dmesg > new.txt and a dmesg > old.txt on your old VPS and diff them to see what's different. Obviously the partitioning setup, but what else remains to be seen..

• WSSWSS Member
    edited March 2017

If it's installed, do an inxi -F and compare the two. I don't remember if they've got that in rescue or not..

• ihadpihadp Member
    edited March 2017

@ethancedrik said:
    I also noticed my VPS erroring when going into rescue mode, I've had this happen multiple times

only seems to happen on these new VPSs I've ordered and I have to wait a little while for an OVH tech to fix it and manually put it into rescue mode

I haven't run into any issues, however it takes a solid 10 minutes to boot into Rescue Mode.

@WSS said:
    do a dmesg > new.txt and a dmesg > old.txt on your old VPS and diff them to see what's different. Obviously the partitioning setup, but what else remains to be seen..

Unfortunately I do not have access to an "older" SSD VPS, however if another user is able to do the above this could help quite a lot.

I am wondering if they limited the CPU instructions being passed to the guest. They never did run CPU passthrough, however they may have changed/limited on the newer versions.

• WSSWSS Member

@IHaveADarkPassenger said:
    I haven't run into any issues, however it takes a solid 10 minutes to boot into Rescue Mode.

I am wondering if they limited the CPU instructions being passed to the guest. They never did run CPU passthrough, however they may have changed/limited on the newer versions.

This kind of sounds like they disabled VT support to me. Not sure if their older ones did or not, look for vmx or svm in /proc/cpuinfo

• ihadpihadp Member
    edited March 2017

@WSS said:

This kind of sounds like they disabled VT support to me. Not sure if their older ones did or not, look for vmx or svm in /proc/cpuinfo

:~# cat /proc/cpuinfo
    processor       : 0
    vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
    cpu family      : 6
    model           : 60
    model name      : Intel Core Processor (Haswell, no TSX)
    stepping        : 1
    microcode       : 0x1
    cpu MHz         : 2394.436
    cache size      : 4096 KB
    physical id     : 0
    siblings        : 1
    core id         : 0
    cpu cores       : 1
    apicid          : 0
    initial apicid  : 0
    fpu             : yes
    fpu_exception   : yes
    cpuid level     : 13
    wp              : yes
    flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss syscall nx pdpe1gb rdtscp lm constant_tsc rep_good nopl eagerfpu pni pclmulqdq vmx ssse3 fma cx16 pcid sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic movbe popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes xsave avx f16c rdrand hypervisor lahf_lm abm tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid fsgsbase bmi1 avx2 smep bmi2 erms invpcid xsaveopt
    bugs            :
    bogomips        : 4788.87
    clflush size    : 64
    cache_alignment : 64
    address sizes   : 40 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
    power management:

processor       : 1
    vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
    cpu family      : 6
    model           : 60
    model name      : Intel Core Processor (Haswell, no TSX)
    stepping        : 1
    microcode       : 0x1
    cpu MHz         : 2394.436
    cache size      : 4096 KB
    physical id     : 1
    siblings        : 1
    core id         : 0
    cpu cores       : 1
    apicid          : 1
    initial apicid  : 1
    fpu             : yes
    fpu_exception   : yes
    cpuid level     : 13
    wp              : yes
    flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss syscall nx pdpe1gb rdtscp lm constant_tsc rep_good nopl eagerfpu pni pclmulqdq vmx ssse3 fma cx16 pcid sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic movbe popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes xsave avx f16c rdrand hypervisor lahf_lm abm tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid fsgsbase bmi1 avx2 smep bmi2 erms invpcid xsaveopt
    bugs            :
    bogomips        : 4788.87
    clflush size    : 64
    cache_alignment : 64
    address sizes   : 40 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
    power management:

So "VMX" is available.

• WSSWSS Member

Well, VMX is there, so VT isn't disabled. An older 3.18.x era kernel really screwed KVM for that CPU as a host, but I don't know that much about it.

I'd try to do a microcode update- having 0x1 tells me it's more than likely emulated than an exposed core. If it does anything but fail, though, I'd be quite surprised. :D

• I have 2 older VPSs from 2015 and 2016 both running CentOS 6, I can reboot one into rescue mode or run commands from there if anyone wants me to check anything.

• GamerTech24GamerTech24 Member
    edited March 2017
    edited March 2017
    edited March 2017

hopefully that helps, all of them are running CentOS 6.8 x64 and I see very similar outputs from both of them

• WSSWSS Member
    edited March 2017

The old VPS is setup for virtio differently:

vda: vda1

scsi2 : Virtio SCSI HBA
    scsi 2:0:0:0: Direct-Access QEMU QEMU HARDDISK 2.3. PQ: 0 ANSI: 5

VirtIO is running as a SCSI device here, which likely interacts differently with Windows. I'm guessing you don't have access to tell it what ethernet card to emulate or ide/sata.. Not sure how to handle that with Windows, and not having one of these to play with, I can't really offer much else.

Good luck!

• ihadpihadp Member

@WSS said:
    The old VPS is setup for virtio differently:

vda: vda1

scsi2 : Virtio SCSI HBA
    scsi 2:0:0:0: Direct-Access QEMU QEMU HARDDISK 2.3. PQ: 0 ANSI: 5

VirtIO is running as a SCSI device here, which likely interacts differently with Windows. I'm guessing you don't have access to tell it what ethernet card to emulate or ide/sata.. Not sure how to handle that with Windows, and not having one of these to play with, I can't really offer much else.

Good luck!

I am fairly certain when you use the VirtIO drivers is shows as an SCSI device within Windows as well. As long as you load the VirtIO drivers there shouldn't be any issues either way.

I will dig more into the drivers soon as I can reload my other machine to proxmox.

• WSSWSS Member
    edited March 2017

I am fairly certain when you use the VirtIO drivers is shows as an SCSI device within Windows as well. As long as you load the VirtIO drivers there shouldn't be any issues either way.

This is different, though.

/dev/vda is using virtio, using the virtio drivers directly. Using /dev/sdX, it's using scsi compatible drivers over the virtio subsystem. This is likely a difference in the way qemu has been configured, but I've not tried to do scsi-over-virtio, since I just assume it'd be slower than direct virtio.

It could also be something they did specific for their "Rescue" system to enable the virtual disk to be treated more like a physical block device.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• When I made my templates I used the viostor drivers instead of the vioscsi, so that may be it, that would explain why mine isn't working due to lack of a driver

• @IHaveADarkPassenger said:

That is correct. It shows up as "Red Hat VirtIO SCSI Disk Device"

• I was one of the people who confirmed the image worked on the 20GB ssd vps. I made a snapshot of the OS after install and just used that snapshot to boot into a brand new 20GB ssd and it works fine.

But when I did the image it got the reported error message.

Is there a way for me to make an image of my backup and get it to you to see if its any different?

• WSSWSS Member

@ethancedrik said:
    When I made my templates I used the viostor drivers instead of the vioscsi, so that may be it, that would explain why mine isn't working due to lack of a driver

I assumed that vioscsi would gracefully fail as a generic SCSI device, but maybe not under Windows. Add the driver to the template and give it another shot?

• ZealZeal Member

Does anyone in this thread have a arubacloud template for the 1GB vps?

• ihadpihadp Member

@Hadriel said:
    I was one of the people who confirmed the image worked on the 20GB ssd vps. I made a snapshot of the OS after install and just used that snapshot to boot into a brand new 20GB ssd and it works fine.

But when I did the image it got the reported error message.

Is there a way for me to make an image of my backup and get it to you to see if its any different?

Well that's fucking interesting.

How are you taking a snapshot of your VPS, I don't seem to have that option in my OVH control panel?

As to getting me a copy, thank you very much for the offer! I am going to pass for right now, but I may be back in touch

• ihadpihadp Member
    edited March 2017

@Zeal said:

Maybe try reading the entire thread :P

• You click the green arrow where you also set it into rescue mode and there is a Create a Snapshot option.

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • ZealZeal Member

@Zeal said:

It's not possible because they provide windows at high price?

• More interesting troubleshooting I guess. I created a SSD3 loaded Ubuntu on it. Flipped to rescue and tried your image. Fail. Clicked on reinstall and picked my snapshot. Fail.

Deleted the VPS, created a new one and picked the snapshot for a clean install and success.

I was also able to create a EG-7 VPS from scratch with no issue.

• ihadpihadp Member
    edited March 2017

@Hadriel said:
    You click the green arrow where you also set it into rescue mode and there is a Create a Snapshot option.

Well, I found the reason for at least a portion of the confusion on this front. You can purchase OVH's SSD VPS's two different ways...

1. You can order it via their website for x dollar per month.
    2. Order is via your OVH control panel under "Cloud" where you can opt to pay hourly.

I do not have the snapshot option because I purchased it off their website as opposed to via the "Cloud" option in my control panel.

The more you know...

@Hadriel said:
    More interesting troubleshooting I guess. I created a SSD3 loaded Ubuntu on it. Flipped to rescue and tried your image. Fail. Clicked on reinstall and picked my snapshot. Fail.

Deleted the VPS, created a new one and picked the snapshot for a clean install and success.

I was also able to create a EG-7 VPS from scratch with no issue.

Well that is curious.

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • ihadpihadp Member

@Zeal said:

@Zeal said:

>

You will probably have better luck creating your own thread here on the forums than posting in this one. I created this thread to gather feedback & requests for future development on the templates I have been building.

Presently I highly doubt my templates would work on Aruba for the reasons I noted much earlier in this very thread hence why I noted you should read the entire thread as opposed to just randomly posting in it.

Good luck!

• ZealZeal Member

@Zeal said:

@Zeal said:

>

You will probably have better luck creating your own thread here on the forums than posting in this one. I created this thread to gather feedback & requests for future development on the templates I have been building.

Presently I highly doubt my templates would work on Aruba for the reasons I noted much earlier in this very thread hence why I noted you should read the entire thread as opposed to just randomly posting in it.

Good luck!

Thanks, sorry didn't mean to try thread jack.

• ihadpihadp Member

Alright boys, here we go!

I completed my other project earlier today allowing me to reload my dev box to Proxmox.

So far I built one development template for OVH SSD VPS and unfortunately it failed with the same error. As such I am reading up on VirtIO vs VirtIO SCSI as that is almost certainly the core problem we are facing.

Thank you to @WSS for pointing out the virtio-scsi, I honestly didn't realize there was a difference between regular VirtIO and VirtIO-SCSI.

• Yeah I purchase it directly off their website due to it being cheaper than their cloud option

• IHaveADarkPassenger said: I was also able to create a EG-7 VPS from scratch with no issue.

Yeah I have no clue about their public/private cloud VPSs, but the VPS SSD and VPS Cloud options that you can buy directly from their website are the ones having the issue, but this wasn't always the case

• ihadpihadp Member

@ethancedrik said:

IHaveADarkPassenger said: I was also able to create a EG-7 VPS from scratch with no issue.

Yeah I have no clue about their public/private cloud VPSs, but the VPS SSD and VPS Cloud options that you can buy directly from their website are the ones having the issue, but this wasn't always the case

I am "developing" against the VPS SSD package I purchased from their website, however I plan to get it working on both the website option and the cloud option.