Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Easiest way to split server into VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Easiest way to split server into VPS?

sonicsonic Veteran
edited March 2017 in Help

Hi,
I have a server with following specs:

CPU: E2620v3
Ram: 16GB
256 SSD + 1 TB HDD
IPv4: 3

I want to spit into 2 VPS, which easiest way to do? I'm newbie at this.

Comments

• WSSWSS Member

A very sharp razor and nerves of steel.

• Proxmox.

Web based GUI. Real easy to install and manage. Uptime on my OVH server is about 8 months.

I'm still using 3.x so I don't know how 4.x is with LXC but if you want to have dedicated resources, just make KVM VPS.

Thanked by 2sonic Falzo
  • 3 IPs would work: 1 for the Proxmox OS and 2 for your KVM services.

Thanked by 1sonic
  • sonicsonic Veteran

@doughmanes said:
    3 IPs would work: 1 for the Proxmox OS and 2 for your KVM services.

Which OS should i install on main server? CentOS, Debian, or Windows?

• IshaqIshaq Member

@sonic said: Which OS should i install on main server? CentOS, Debian, or Windows?

There is a Proxmox ISO which is based on Debian.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • Centos 6/7 64bit + VM manager KVM from ispsystem (using free license you can make 2 vps).

• FalzoFalzo Member

+1 proxmox , well documented.

Thanked by 1Tom
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

xrdc + virt-manager

That is the easiest, lightest weight way of doing it without exposing a web ui and getting 100 features you do not want or need.

If that confuses you, use esxi.

Thanked by 4sonic kjl24 WSS yomero
  • sonicsonic Veteran

@AnthonySmith said:
    xrdc + virt-manager

That is the easiest, lightest weight way of doing it without exposing a web ui and getting 100 features you do not want or need.

If that confuses you, use esxi.

Link me a tutorial please @AnthonySmith

• WSSWSS Member

If that isn't enough information for you to do the cut-and-paste yourself, you want vmware.

• Proxmox is easier than ESXi. OP won't be bombarded with features.

Click "Create VM" (KVM) or "Create CT" (VZ, reminder- I'm on 3.x still before somebody goes reeeeeeeeeeee because 4.x is LXC), go through the steps which are different for each option and click boot. That easy. Installer is dead simple to use.

Thanked by 2sonic yomero
  • @WSS said:

I was thinking a chainsaw and a couple seconds of time myself. I hail from a place that burns wood this time year though.

• WSSWSS Member

@AuroraZ said:

@WSS said:

I was thinking a chainsaw and a couple seconds of time myself. I hail from a place that burns wood this time year though.

North of the equator. Got it.

Thanked by 1yomero
  • sonicsonic Veteran

@doughmanes said:
    Proxmox is easier than ESXi. OP won't be bombarded with features.

Click "Create VM" (KVM) or "Create CT" (VZ, reminder- I'm on 3.x still before somebody goes reeeeeeeeeeee because 4.x is LXC), go through the steps which are different for each option and click boot. That easy. Installer is dead simple to use.

Which version is better for simple usage? I just want to install, create VM and ssh.

• +1 Proxmox. we using it for our main system split main dedicated into VMs so far works great for past few months.

Thanked by 2doughmanes sonic
  • hostfavhostfav Member, Host Rep

We have been using Proxmox. It is a Debian-based Linux distribution. Easy to manage.

Thanked by 2doughmanes sonic
  • sonicsonic Veteran

@hostfav said:
    We have been using Proxmox. It is a Debian-based Linux distribution. Easy to manage.

My server is running Debian 8. Can i install Proxmox from command line via SSH? How?

• SpartanHostSpartanHost Member, Host Rep

@sonic said:

@hostfav said:

My server is running Debian 8. Can i install Proxmox from command line via SSH? How?

Yes, https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Install_Proxmox_VE_on_Debian_Jessie

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@sonic said:

@hostfav said:

https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Install_Proxmox_VE_on_Debian_Jessie

Super easy. Make sure you have a valid hostname set (and none set for IPv6), add apt repo + key, apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade, then you install the packages they list. Reboot so you're in the proxmox kernel. Load web interface. Change network config to a bridge. Reboot again and you're in business.

• sonicsonic Veteran

@Harambe said:

@sonic said:

@hostfav said:

https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Install_Proxmox_VE_on_Debian_Jessie

Super easy. Make sure you have a valid hostname set (and none set for IPv6), add apt repo + key, apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade, then you install the packages they list. Reboot so you're in the proxmox kernel. Load web interface. Change network config to a bridge. Reboot again and you're in business.

Valid hostname set? Example: srv.domain.com ; then i point that subdomain to server main IP. Is that right?

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@sonic said:
    Valid hostname set? Example: srv.domain.com ; then i point that subdomain to server main IP. Is that right?

Yeah, see the example on the proxmox wiki.

Thanked by 1sonic