Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SolusVM Control Panel Software Support
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SolusVM Control Panel Software Support

landmanlandman Member
edited March 2017 in Reviews

Over the past day or two i have been testing/trialing out SolusVM and i have to say i like the GUI. However same can not be said for the level of support i have been getting.

I followed all documentation to get solusvm working in a very basic config;

Server 1: OpenVZ & Master Node
Server 2: Slave KVM Node

Master node is great and has been working floorlessly - However same can not be said for the KVM node, this has had issue after issue with the SolusVM. Issues start with the partitions that the node had, then the KVM containers wouldn't (and still dont boot despite me stating to support several times that they dont boot).

Then came the issue with VNC (that too didnt work) so i was advised to switch to noVNC. Again i followed docs to get this enabled (as its disabled by default). And all i kept getting was error after error. Then SolusVM support tells me i need a valid SSL cert in order to get it working. I know this is utter rubbish, as i had test driven Virtulizor just days before, and they bothered worked via the IP of the node and without a valid ssl (Self-Signed).

Then came a very shirty message from support, Where at this point i was at the end of my tether with them, hense why i have taken to this review. Not at all impressed, I think i may well return to Virtulizor before i have even completed my trial with SolusVM.

Reason for trying out SolusVM as Virtulizor support isn't fantastic and did take days to even respond. Also their software is very buggy and doesn't work as well out of the box so to speak as SolusVM does.

I hope you clean up your act SolusVM, remember without your customers you have no business. And more to the point you need to be supporting trial customers, as they are customers that could turn into real paying customers.

Humm
  1. What VM Control Panel is Best?25 votes
    1. SolusVM
      56.00%
    2. Virtulizor
      44.00%

Comments

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 2017

Explain the issue?

Edit: Didn't see this was in 'reviews' section.. nevermind, good luck.

Thanked by 1landman
  • landman said: Over the past day or two i have been testing out SolusVM and i have to say i like the GUI. However same can not be said for the level of support i have been getting.

I followed all documentation to get solusvm working in a very basic config;

Server 1: OpenVZ & Master Node Server 2: Slave KVM Node

Master node is great and has been working floorlessly - However same can not be said for the KVM node, this has had issue after issue with the SolusVM

What do you want us to do?

• Sorry computer posted before i had finished so had to go back and edit sorry for that.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 2017

@landman said:
    Sorry computer posted before i had finished so had to go back and edit sorry for that.

I use their newer nginx stack for the master, but how is your noVNC configured? Do you have the socket on master or slave servers in the panel settings? If it's on slave, set it to the master and make sure the SSL key/crt is valid and in the directory whichever svmstack type you're running (nginx or whatever else their old one is). VNC won't work without it.

And yes, their support isn't the friendliest, but it's what you get.

Thanked by 1landman
  • landmanlandman Member
    edited March 2017

@MikeA said:

@landman said:
    Sorry computer posted before i had finished so had to go back and edit sorry for that.

I use their newer nginx stack for the master, but how is your noVNC configured? Do you have the socket on master or slave servers in the panel settings? If it's on slave, set it to the master and make sure the SSL key/crt is valid and in the directory whichever svmstack type you're running (nginx or whatever else their old one is). VNC won't work without it.

And yes, their support isn't the friendliest, but it's what you get.

Yes its a shame for sure, I am currently using the noVNC on master only to connect across all nodes via the master node.

Yes while im quite technically minded, sometimes support is necessary and more importantly in those situations your already pulling your hair out :-( so the last thing you need is some lame support rep throwing some pun at you. Not a nice experience, however i guess like you said its common these days. But not something im about to let them get away with tho!

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

My choice is: poll not found

• @Clouvider said:
    My choice is: poll not found

Ops i wonder what happened there, Poll restored. Thanks for letting me know of this error.

• This poll is biased. Add neither as an option to it.

• @FlamesRunner said:
    This poll is biased. Add neither as an option to it.

I wanted that option too, but it only gave me two options :-(

• justvmjustvm Member, Patron Provider

Unfortunately, most the issues are because of the lack of knowledge on the product and the lack of better instructions on their documentation.

KVM run smoothly, but it is real tricky to setup, the node partition has to follow their instructions otherwise it will not boot also a lot of configuration has to be followed to install the KVM slave.

VNC is not their problem, VNC run over Java and after the last Firefox update there is no browser that runs Java plug-in, no VNC runs out of the box for the master but you have to change to bootstrap for the customer to have the option o their control panel.

Their support works good, now if you have an issue that can not be solved ask them to escalate your ticket.

Both of them have bugs and both of them lack in features

Thanked by 1DewlanceVPS
  • @vpsrus said:
    Unfortunately, most the issues are because of the lack of knowledge on the product and the lack of better instructions on their documentation.

KVM run smoothly, but it is real tricky to setup, the node partition has to follow their instructions otherwise it will not boot also a lot of configuration has to be followed to install the KVM slave.

VNC is not their problem, VNC run over Java and after the last Firefox update there is no browser that runs Java plug-in, no VNC runs out of the box for the master but you have to change to bootstrap for the customer to have the option o their control panel.

Their support works good, now if you have an issue that can not be solved ask them to escalate your ticket.

Both of them have bugs and both of them lack in features

What system do you use?

• justvmjustvm Member, Patron Provider

SolusVM

• Migrate to the nginx stack by soluvm, use LetsEncrypt for all your nodes and noVNC would be working.

• @landman said:

@FlamesRunner said:
    This poll is biased. Add neither as an option to it.

I wanted that option too, but it only gave me two options :-(

You can click add more option link below poll

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

Add "Promox" ;)

Better than SolusVM, No any issue with novnc. Easy to use and don't need to host it on separate panel.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
  • @landman,

I appreciate your feedback, and reviewed both your management ticket, as well as the original ticket. I understand you're frustrated - however as of SolusVM 1.18, an SSL certificate is required for VNC to work. This was made clear in 4 different replies to you. Virtualizor may be different, but we are not Virtualizor.

When we attempted to work with you to solve your KVM booting issues, you replied back with "This is CRAP im moving panels!" We cannot solve an issue with a non-booting server, without the log file that we had asked for.

I wish you the best with Virtualizor.

• @OnApp_Terry said:
    @landman,

I appreciate your feedback, and reviewed both your management ticket, as well as the original ticket. I understand you're frustrated - however as of SolusVM 1.18, an SSL certificate is required for VNC to work. This was made clear in 4 different replies to you. Virtualizor may be different, but we are not Virtualizor.

When we attempted to work with you to solve your KVM booting issues, you replied back with "This is CRAP im moving panels!" We cannot solve an issue with a non-booting server, without the log file that we had asked for.

I wish you the best with Virtualizor.

With the greatest of respect Terry by this time your agent had been more than rude to me. So i think moving was the best option, As it happens i have now migrated to a new software. All i did was import the solusvm created vms into my new software and wow noVNC works and all my containers both OpenVZ and KVM all boot what a surprise.

What your missing also Terry is how much bother and crap i had to be subject too before that reply was made. To be honest i was sick and tired of his mannor towards me, that im sure you have to agree as did another agent after that reply did, that the OP agent wasn't in the best in customer service. Maybe i shouldn't have posted that and for that i apologies. But even now that agent who spoke to me like crap still hasn't offered me an apology for the way he spoke to me, he just went silent on the ticket desk and all of a sudden i got another support agent apologizing on his behalf. Not something i would of expected to see from such a said trusted software vendor in this industry. This is why i took to writing a review.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 2017

If noVNC works after changing panels, and your panel is still not secured by an SSL certificate, it means your data goes unprotected over the network. Extremely insuecure, amateurish and completely unprofessional. If that's how Virtualizor and you approach it, then well, good luck.

Thanked by 1jackb
  • jackbjackb Member, Host Rep

@Clouvider said:
    If noVNC works after changing panels, and your panel is still not secured by an SSL certificate, it means your data goes unprotected over the network. Extremely insuecure, amateurish and completely unprofessional. If that's how Virtualizor and you approach it, then well, good luck.

He might also have had "noVNC Socket Location" set to Host Node, rather than Master node?

The whole noVNC implementation on solusvm is ridiculously fragile, solusvm uses LE anyway so certs should not be an issue.

• moonmartinmoonmartin Member
    edited March 2017

@AnthonySmith said:
    The whole noVNC implementation on solusvm is ridiculously fragile, solusvm uses LE anyway so certs should not be an issue.

I have been using nginx, LetsEncrypt, and noVNC on Solus for quite awhile now. It was a bit buggy at first but Solus eventually worked it all out. However, that was quite awhile ago. Maybe even before OnApp bought them.

I think all the original Solus guys are gone now.

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep

@moonmartin said:

@AnthonySmith said:

I have been using nginx, LetsEncrypt, and noVNC on Solus for quite awhile now. It was buggy at first and I got the impression I was one of the few people using it. Solus eventually worked it all out and it seems to be quite solid now. However, that was quite awhile ago. Maybe even before OnApp bought them.

I think all the original Solus guys are gone now. Since then I don't see much going on at Solus as far as development. So I would be hesitant to use them for anything new moving forward such as OVZ7.

Phill occasionally pops up to sort stuff out. I suspect most of his time is either spent on OnApp stuff or "SolusVM 2" (wherever that is) though.

moonmartin said: I have been using nginx, LetsEncrypt, and noVNC on Solus for quite awhile now. It was a bit buggy at first but Solus eventually worked it all out. However, that was quite awhile ago. Maybe even before OnApp bought them.

I assure you, it is not working out of the box, certainly not after 7 years of quick fixes and running at scale.

The "original solus guy" singular, is Phill, he is still at onapp.

You seem to have missed the irony of saying it works fine with nginx and LE when that is how solusvm ships by default now and the response the OP got from solusvm is that he needs a valid cert to use it.

edited March 2017

@AnthonySmith said:

moonmartin said: I have been using nginx, LetsEncrypt, and noVNC on Solus for quite awhile now. It was a bit buggy at first but Solus eventually worked it all out. However, that was quite awhile ago. Maybe even before OnApp bought them.

I assure you, it is not working out of the box, certainly not after 7 years of quick fixes and running at scale.

The "original solus guy" singular, is Phill, he is still at onapp.

You seem to have missed the irony of saying it works fine with nginx and LE when that is how solusvm ships by default now and the response the OP got from solusvm is that he needs a valid cert to use it.

It never came like that by default. Maybe now with a new install...I wouldn't know. I'm not sure what other point you are trying to make. With their nginx implementation, installing a LE certificate is as simple as installing an RPM. The question is not why you would want to do that. The question is why not???

Their support knows how to get all that working. I think the OP just wants to cry about it.

edited March 2017

moonmartin said: It never came like that by default. Maybe now with a new install...I wouldn't know. I'm not sure what other point you are trying to make. With their nginx implementation installing a LE certificate is as simple as installing an RPM. The question is not why you would want to do that. The question is why not???

Read the whole thread again please.

The entire root of it is that solusvm noVNC is not working after initial install, the response from solusvm is the reason is is not working is that he needs a valid cert.

The default package on solusvm is now and has been for some time nginx

The LE RPM is installed as a solusvm dependency as standard, so he has a valid cert

edited March 2017

@AnthonySmith said:

moonmartin said: It never came like that by default. Maybe now with a new install...I wouldn't know. I'm not sure what other point you are trying to make. With their nginx implementation installing a LE certificate is as simple as installing an RPM. The question is not why you would want to do that. The question is why not???

Read the whole thread again please.

The entire root of it is that solusvm noVNC is not working after initial install, the response from solusvm is the reason is is not working is that he needs a valid cert.

The default package on solusvm is now and has been for some time nginx

The LE RPM is installed as a solusvm dependency as standard, so he has a valid cert

LE works, noVNC works. I have been using both for quite awhile now. The OP can chose to cry about it or get Solus to help him fix it.

I'm out.

Thanked by 1bugrakoc
  • moonmartin said: LE works, noVNC works. I have using both for quite awhile now. The OP can chose to cry about it or get Solus to help him fix it.

So in other worlds, there was an active LE cert and solusvm support said, you need a valid cert.

• IshaqIshaq Member

Their Let's Encrypt implementation / automation tool is broken even on mainline, their support confirmed this:

Actually it was a bug with us. we have tried with few server's we can't make it unfortunately. So, please purchase the valid SSL from any vendor and proceed further with that at the moment. Our development team was working with that issue and hopefully it will resolve in our next release.

Thanks
    --
    Regards,
    Ganesh Vadivel @ SolusVM Support

Thanked by 1AnthonySmith