Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Market Research] For People in Europe or Near Europe - Would you buy 500GB in the US or 250GB in EU
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[Market Research] For People in Europe or Near Europe - Would you buy 500GB in the US or 250GB in EU

serverianserverian Member
edited June 2013 in Providers

Would you buy 500GB in the US or 250GB in Europe for the same price? or Would you buy 500GB in Europe for $3 more than in the US?

We are looking to open up a new location in Netherlands for Backupsy for a popular demand. Due to hardware and IP costs, we are not able to offer our regular packages and prices in Europe. So we are wondering if it would worth our while to do this.

I personally thank everyone who contribute to this poll.

Comments

• I would get 250GB for the LEB price in the Netherlands once you start offering backup servers in that location :)

• 250 - $7, will probably sell very well down here :-)

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited June 2013

It doesn't matter sh*t where your storage VPS is, it's not like you need low ping to upload backups. And I get stable 30 Mbit to my backup server at OVH Canada from Russia on a 50 Mbit internet plan. Most important = the amount of space for $$$.

• Data protection laws may prevent businesses from sending their backups to the US so EU backup would be important.

• rds100rds100 Member

Some people don't want to have their data in the USA for political or similar reasons. But the same people (and not only they) should probably encrypt all data before storing it anywhere, so...

• @Rallias, what do you mean by both?

• @serverian said:
    Rallias, what do you mean by both?

I mean why not offer all the options.

• RurikoRuriko Member

I'd buy it if you allow me to host a website on it

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

we had 100 GB for 9 Eur a year but without dynamic content, so only static pages.
    I am not sure what to vote.
    Of course anything I would put there would be encrypted and I have good speeds to US (less than rm_, about 3 times less...) however, my back-ups are usually accessed from other places, I put up NFS or iscsi to export the containers and 10 Mbps will not be enough :( I do OK here with 7 MB/s, can also use it as low as 2 MB/s but will lag at times, I only have that speed in certain areas of US, so, it depends, therefore I dont know.
    I would need like 1 TB, so the location in EU is too small, the one in US probably too slow.
    This is hypothetic, of course, I have all I need for now, but I just explain how I think.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

NFS or iscsi

Of course at those pings and speeds "realtime" protocols like these won't be the best choice. Try rsync or rdiff-backup. Doing stuff like syncing a tree with thousands of directories is much more efficient with rsync, it figures out the difference mostly working locally on both sides, without needing a lot of back-and-forth over 200ms ping.

• Location isnt important for me. Price is. I'm quite satisfied with the $7 for 500 GB in US. If you were to offer more at another location without slower network speeds, I'd gobble that up. As long as you hold on the promise of not prying into my data, I dont mind whether it's the US or UK.

• DomainBopDomainBop Member
    edited June 2013

500GB in Europe for LEB price + $3

You could actually up this price to LEB +$5 and still be the cheapest 500GB storage solution in Europe. LEB +$6 however would put you at the same price as Kimsufi's mks2G -mine is an N2800- which can be used for both storage and other purposes.

• I think Europe is a growing market and really deserves some good offers. I respect that it's more expensive than the US, hence my vote.

• IshaqIshaq Member

Same here ^

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran
    edited June 2013

500GB in Europe for LEB price + $3

do you mean $9, right?

What about $27 per month for dedicated server with the following specs:

• 2TB HDD x 4
    • 128GB RAM
    • 2 x 2 x XEON quad-core processors
    • dedicated 10 Gbps

anyone can do that? As I will take 5 servers with such specs.
  • @WebProject said:

I'll take 1000

• do you mean $9, right?

• 2TB HDD x 4
    • 128GB RAM
    • dedicated 10 Gbps

7 + 3 = 10

• @WebProject said:

• 2TB HDD x 4
    • 128GB RAM
    • dedicated 10 Gbps
      > anyone can do that? As I will take 5 servers with such specs.

My $4 NYC dedicated server offer is still available if you're interested. The mousetrap addon is an extra $1 monthly per mousetrap. :P

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran
    edited June 2013

@Zen said:
    srs?

Yes, as I can't believe that some one can offer 500GB or 1TB space for under $6 a month - I mean VPS and not backup space!