Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Average System Load - Daily 1 or 2 times 100%
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Average System Load - Daily 1 or 2 times 100%

johnnymattjohnnymatt Member
edited March 2017 in Help

Hello

I'm asking your opinion about a VPS Provider using right now. Its not my intention to do bad publicity, that's the reason im not going to publish the name of the provider (very disappointed anyway).

My VPS Plan, OpenVPS Uk, has 2 core fair share and i see everyday at least one or two times average load more than 100% (6-5-6). That's booring, it means at least 4 email daily from Nodequery (edit > i have 2 vps with this provider = 4 email for 2 high load events in one day) with alert of High Load even if my VPS is consuming a ridicolous amount of mem and cpu (always max ram 1.5GB of 6GB and max 10-20% Cpu).

Instead login is a nightmare, if system load is 6-5-6 it means to wait 20 sec for a simple wp-login.... (crying because the theme and lamp is 100% optimized).

I start assuming this VPS are very crowded and, maybe, noone is watching accurately and "kicking cpu abusers". Is my though correct ?
I already contacted support, they moved my 2 vps on another node but situation is .... worst than before, looool :)

Opinion ? Tips ? Thanks :)

Comments

• First, check your applications to cpu and i/o usage(although I highly doubt it).
    Second ask provider on high load peaks and if the answer and solutions are not satisfying change your vps provider.

Thanked by 1johnnymatt
  • HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2017

Edit: didn't fully read it

• johnnymattjohnnymatt Member
    edited March 2017

@Kevinjoa said: First, check your applications to cpu and i/o usage

Thanks. That's the first thing ive done. Its not a script problem and wp is higly optimized (i mean im not using 200 plugins, only 4 including caching), i have opcache, page caching in ram -..- Read-Write, thanks to cache in ram, is very very lowwww :(

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

So to be clear - you're not generating this load, you're just seeing it in your monitoring, right? Is this an issue of noisy monitoring or does that load actually affect you?

• johnnymattjohnnymatt Member
    edited March 2017

@raindog308 said: So to be clear - you're not generating this load, you're just seeing it in your monitoring, right? Is this an issue of noisy monitoring or does that load actually affect you?

I can assure you 100% that im not generating the load (im a loong time wp user and i know well how to optimize it and to do my functions so i have less insecure plugins > using4 included the one x caching). I confirm its an issue of noisy monitoring but the the load is affecting me. Sometimes (not always) i have to wait 20sec to access the site trough wp-admin even if mysql is optimized and with 1 user online :) > hilarious looool

• That usually means processes getting IO lock state due to lack of free IOPS. The host node's load is getting high, therefore your VPS's is getting high. It may happen at certain hours when a lot of people backing up their VPS on the host node.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 2017

Sounds a lot like a ticket I recently got in, if it is I never heard of any further issues after you were moved.

Its no problem mentioning it if it is Inception Hosting, I don't mind digging deeper if it is having an actual impact on you, although if this is the same case you did say it had no real world impact only noisy monitoring and I could not find any correlation.

If its not the same thing I will just shut up and get back in my box. :)

• WSSWSS Member

@AnthonySmith what if the load is generated in the universe with the van plunging into a river (that takes 16 hours)?

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

WSS said: @AnthonySmith what if the load is generated in the universe with the van plunging into a river (that takes 16 hours)?

You need to play the Burt Lancaster card if that happens.

This is an Inception hosting related issue, OP has PM'ed me but is too polite to say :)

I am investigating via a ticket, I have completely ruled out disk IO as the cause already, its looking likely to be CPU related.

I will report back when I get to the root cause although because its impacting at random times for less than a minute it is not so simple to capture the data without the act of capture becoming an issue in itself.

Thanked by 2ehab johnnymatt
  • YuraYura Member

@AnthonySmith said:
    it is not so simple to capture the data without the act of capture becoming an issue in itself.

Ah, the classical observer effect in quantum mechanics. It's good that I can send you right back and you can fix it

Thanked by 2AnthonySmith WSS
  • WSSWSS Member

Thanked by 1Yura