Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blesta 4.0 Released - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Blesta 4.0 Released

Comments

• So, what about a WHMCS v7 vs Blesta 4.0

• TamerciagaTamerciaga Member, Host Rep

I'm testing Blesta now, not sure what I should think of it. It's a bit slow compared to WHMCS, but it's quite nice. Built-in multicompany support, good plugins and cPanel integration. Couldn't find announcements though.

The Module/API documentation is a bit strange in my opinion. It's hard to switch if you are used to WHMCS, but I'm actually tired of WHMCS.

• @Qarizma said:
    I'm actually tired of WHMCS.

Why?

• might make the change, got a black friday deal from eleven2 but dunno if there will be similar deals now whmcs has changed the pricing structure.

@drdrake said:

@Qarizma said:
    I'm actually tired of WHMCS.

Why?

It's very overrated, and simply used by many because there isn't really any competition. The admin interface is outdated and not user friendly. Client templates aren't really attractive either.

So far Blesta looks better on both sides.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • @Qarizma said:

Let me tag some well known providers here, so that we can have their opinion on Blesta

@AnthonySmith @Francisco

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Never used it.

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • ExonHostExonHost Member, Host Rep

KnownHost is using it. Also, sponsoring the development.

@SpectrumHost said:

@Qarizma said:

Let me tag some well known providers here, so that we can have their opinion on Blesta

@AnthonySmith @Francisco

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Same, never used it.

Francisco

ExonHost said: KnownHost is using it. Also, sponsoring the development.

interesting, I did not know that.

I might take a look, although frankly the idea of migrating from WHMCS to something almost exactly like WHMCS just less mature is not appealing, perhaps it has some real advantages I am not aware of.

• I'm considering it for my local brand.

@ExonHost said:
    KnownHost is using it. Also, sponsoring the development.

@SpectrumHost said:

@Qarizma said:

@AnthonySmith @Francisco

https://www.knownhost.com/ this site? Their design looks terrible...not really good advertising for Blesta.

• ExonHostExonHost Member, Host Rep

They are well known for Managed VPS.

@Qarizma said:

https://www.knownhost.com/ this site? Their design looks terrible...not really good advertising for Blesta.

• I thought you would look for functionality versus design. Maybe I'm wrong?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Qarizma said: Their design looks terrible...not really good advertising for Blesta.

I don't think it looks awful...though really you should only be judging my.knownhost.com, since that's the billing.

Peeking at the HTML does have various Blesta references.

AnthonySmith said: I might take a look, although frankly the idea of migrating from WHMCS to something almost exactly like WHMCS just less mature is not appealing, perhaps it has some real advantages I am not aware of.

That's the thing...if you've got WHMCS, is saving maybe $5-8 a month really worth the hassle? If it's even 15 minutes of hassle, it's probably not worth your time on an implied hourly wage basis. Just learning, installing, and migrating to Blesta, even if you have absolutely no problems, may never see a payback.

• HxxxHxxx Member
    edited March 2017

I prefer Blesta due to the history of vulnerabilities and events that took place at WHMCS. But WHMCS have come a long way since they launched the vulnerability program. Also Blesta is basically like 99% open , I can see the code and edit it as I like.

raindog308 said: That's the thing...if you've got WHMCS, is saving maybe $5-8 a month really worth the hassle? If it's even 15 minutes of hassle, it's probably not worth your time on an implied hourly wage basis. Just learning, installing, and migrating to Blesta, even if you have absolutely no problems, may never see a payback.

Indeed, I run 2 x WHMCS which will very soon go to 2 x $39.95 or whatever the price hike is due to go to, so I might save about $480 over the year which is just not worth the hassle for little or no added benefit as I imagine the lost time doing it and getting used to it would cost more than $480 in time for a decision I could well regret.

If it had some real advantages I would do it, I have skimmed over the site and docs and really don't see any, seems to be a bit of a clone.

Similar situation with Virtualizor and SolusVM, the only difference being that Virtualizor has some clear advantages over SolusVM these days, if it was not a 1 way shift I would have done it already.

• Wait, new pricing for WHMCS? When did that happen? How much is it?

• @varunchopra said:
    Wait, new pricing for WHMCS? When did that happen? How much is it?

https://www.whmcs.com/pricing/

• If you need lots of plugins and features and are ready to pay a growing monthly amount go with whmcs.

If owned license, security and open source strike you to be more interesting and you only need cpanel, domain registrar modules and can make use of virtualizor and/or proxmox for vps Blesta is definitely a choice to consider :)

That being said I do not doubt WHMCS comfort, however if you narrow it down to what you acctually need Blesta might just do the job as well^^

Thanked by 1Jorbox
  • I've used Blesta in a limited role with a company I used to work for but setting up 3.x as a demo for consideration of a license so far has its "quirks" where you need to familiarize yourself with how its setup versus jumping in head first then getting frustrated.

I see WHMCS are starting a hosted solution now too, I think the echo chamber they live in has finally driven them mad.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Ympker said: If you need lots of plugins and features and are ready to pay a growing monthly amount go with whmcs.

If owned license, security and open source strike you to be more interesting and you only need cpanel, domain registrar modules and can make use of virtualizor and/or proxmox for vps Blesta is definitely a choice to consider :)

If you have more money than God, go with Hostbill.

If you've got more money than all the Gods, go with Ubersmith.

If you want to be that Mac guy circa 1995 who sneers at everyone and says his is so much better, go with ClientExec.

If you're running ghetto post2host services, go with TheHostingTool.

If you, too, like to live...dangerously...go with anything ioncube'd you find by searching CodeCanyon.

If you want to be...well, I don't even know what you'd be if you ran Boxbilling.

• IshaqIshaq Member

@AnthonySmith said:
    I see WHMCS are starting a hosted solution now too, I think the echo chamber they live in has finally driven them mad.

Are they using HostGator for that as well?

• Whmcs is closed, you cannot change anything, who knows maybe whmcs has a lot of errors we cant see them!

Since blesta is 99% open source, you can change anything and you can own it and help the developers on it.

I prefer blesta even if it has less functionality ,
    They make updates frequently and its more secure,, whmcs changes the price and limit the customers to 200, and who knows they may change anything later.

But blesta developer's are friendly and like us, on the other hand whmcs owned by cpanel.

I got this far in my research:

https://docs.blesta.com/display/user/Migrating+to+Blesta

decided not to bother going any further.

• WHTWHT Member

@AnthonySmith said:
    I got this far in my research:

https://docs.blesta.com/display/user/Migrating+to+Blesta

decided not to bother going any further.

Yeah those steps are great fom companies with over 5.000 clients:

Verify that all clients, packages, services, invoices, and transactions have been imported correctly.

Go through all system and company settings under [Settings] > Company and [Settings] > System and make sure everything is configured correctly. Correct anything that needs adjusted.

@WHT and apparently only supports WHMCS 5.2

• @AnthonySmith said:
    @WHT and apparently only supports WHMCS 5.2

http://prntscr.com/elhe94

What is that supposed to illustrate?

All I pick up from that is:

1) They cant be bothered to update their documentation

2) The last time they bothered testing it was v5.2 and are using customers a beta testers for newer versions "it is reported"

If anything that just made me less likely to give it a second look.