Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WHMCS dev work - looking for recommendations
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

WHMCS dev work - looking for recommendations

AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Hi Folks,

I am looking to get a WHMCS billing related add-on module created, I have been in touch with a couple of known companies already who made me a bit nervous due to the way they suggested the implementation / work flow process.

I wondered if anyone had any recommendations for people/companies they have had experience with?

Not looking for cheap. I am looking for good quality work :)

Comments

• HxxxHxxx Member

How about WHMCS themselves? Last time I checked which was a while they had a section for contract work.

• @Hxxx they sold out the modulesgarden which many hate.

Thanked by 1Eased
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Hxxx said: How about WHMCS themselves? Last time I checked which was a while they had a section for contract work.

Trying to get WHMCS to do anything logical is like pulling teeth while running up hill wearing pants made of sandbags.

Modules garden gave the most bizzare response and simply could not grasp why their suggested method would simply not work, they also have the worst reviews.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • What do you need to get done? A PM would be nice.

PM Sent

• What about building your own solution instead of running WHCMS?

• @florianb said:
    What about building your own solution instead of running WHCMS?

That's expensive and really time consuming

florianb said: What about building your own solution instead of running WHCMS?

If I was able to do that, I certainly would no be here looking to hire someone for a mere add on module.

• Would the module be something saleable?

• WSSWSS Member

I'd love to learn me some WHMCS, but with almost everything else- after I see the code, I'll probably go out of my way to avoid anything to do with it.

• i recommend with whmcsglobalservices.com

willie said: Would the module be something saleable?

I guess so, there is a whole market place for things that WHMCS should do but does not.

• Please check your PM's @AnthonySmith :)

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

Sent you a pm a few days ago. Do tell me what you need exactly, please.

• moonmartinmoonmartin Member
    edited March 2017

It takes a lot of time to do it right. It WILL need to be maintained through WHMCS updates and tweaks you want along the way as well. I would say that you should be prepared to dig into some of the code yourself.

Have you had a look at their sample modules on github?
    https://github.com/WHMCS/sample-addon-module

They give you the framework to start with. All you have to do is populate it. I won't say it's easy but they do make it as easy as possible. Just takes time. Database access has gotten a lot easier in v6 and v7.

• mailcheapmailcheap Member, Host Rep

@moonmartin said:
    To get a 3rd party to do it all for you and get it done right is not going to be cheap. It takes a lot of time to do it right. It WILL need to be maintained through WHMCS updates and tweaks you want along the way as well.

An addon for whmcs maybe easier to maintain though, but its still an always running expense and a liability at the end.

Pavin.

• Based on personal experience, nobody does WHMCS better than ModulesGarden.

DigitalFyre said: Based on personal experience, nobody does WHMCS better than ModulesGarden.

Well, that was unexpected. haha.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 2017

@DigitalFyre said:
    Based on personal experience, nobody does WHMCS better than ModulesGarden.

Would that be including the WHMCS modules for OnApp they did for ONApp that wouldn't work with the default Config at both ends, that I ended up fixing myself ?

Ask ONApp about Modules Garden quality. Every CAB the problem with WHMCS is being raised.

edited March 2017

If ModulesGarden custom work prices are reasonable and they give you the unencrypted source then it would probably be a good starting point. From there you can refine/fix it yourself or get someone else to do it.

Thanked by 1Eased
  • Clouvider said: Would that be including the WHMCS modules for OnApp they did for ONApp that wouldn't work with the default Config at both ends, that I ended up fixing myself ?

Ask ONApp about Modules Garden quality. Every CAB the problem with WHMCS is being raised.

Depending on which version of the OnApp module you're using. I do recall a bug with the RAM Configuration, but it wasn't really major.

The OnApp modules we use are customized with extra functionality that we needed for ourselves.

Aside from OnApp, ModulesGarden made a number of custom modules for us and they have been great. But that's just my experience with them.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 2017

DigitalFyre said: Depending on which version of the OnApp module you're using. I do recall a bug with the RAM Configuration, but it wasn't really major.

My issue prevented it from doing as basic functions as creating a VM or connecting to the CP. We used to use the previous release, I know there's a new version released recently, instead of manually re-connecting each VM in WHMCS for module upgrade (since someone was genius enough to code an upgraded module that's not compatible with it's own previous release) we decided to start moving Customers to Hostbill, works well, no pulling hairs nor nasty surprises.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

If you haven't found anybody yet PM me, I have some experience with WHMCS modules. ;)

Thanked by 1Hxxx
  • RadWebHostingRadWebHosting Member, Host Rep

Depending on your requirements, I can recommend the ThemeMetro crew. We have had custom work done with them for template and modules and the work was correct, on-time, and within budget.

Thanked by 1AnthonySmith
  • NodePingNodePing Member
    edited March 2017

Word of warning - stay away from Liam Bishop and EasyWHMCS. Took the money and I got nothing.

On a happier note, we found a good dev via UpWork (Natanael Rodriguez Ramos) and have just released our latest update.

Thanked by 1AnthonySmith

NodePing said: stay away from Liam Bishop and EasyWHMCS.

Nice one thank you, I had a tab open with their site as someone to drop an email too.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

NodePing said: Word of warning - stay away from Liam Bishop and EasyWHMCS. Took the money and I got nothing.

Same happened to me a while back.

• jhjh Member

moonmartin said: If ModulesGarden custom work prices are reasonable and they give you the unencrypted source then it would probably be a good starting point. From there you can refine/fix it yourself or get someone else to do it.

We've done this on two of their modules and the code is really awful. WHMCS is relatively easy to work with so any good developer should be able to pick it up quickly.

edited March 2017

@jh said:

moonmartin said: If ModulesGarden custom work prices are reasonable and they give you the unencrypted source then it would probably be a good starting point. From there you can refine/fix it yourself or get someone else to do it.

We've done this on two of their modules and the code is really awful. WHMCS is relatively easy to work with so any good developer should be able to pick it up quickly.

Most code I have seen for WHMCS is awful. Including my own. When you do it for yourself it doesn't matter as long as it works and you know how to make changes.

So WHMCS is pretty good for customization imo.