Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

bad experience with (domain.com)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

bad experience with (domain.com)

I had registered a domain from Domain.com, it's ok the price was good for the tld .Space
anyway, about 2 days before the expiration date I tried to transfer the domain, I logged to their control panel and can't unlock the domain for the transfer, I said it's ok, just contacted the support and I admit that the support were good , they changed the domain status and unlock the domain for the transfer.. very good , then I made the transfer order to another registrar, after confirmation the transfer it said that it will be completed 4-5 days when the outgoing registrar release the domain this should be tomorrow, today I checked the status from the whois data , and found that they (their system) changed the status again to clientTransferProhibited , also I surprised that the nameservers had changed :(

I already contacted the support again for that case , they told me that they will resolve this problem (in 24-48 hours) which mean the transfer maybe rejected (I'm not sure)

my simple review (it's not just for Domain.Com) but also for all registrars not allowed outgoing transfer approval from their control panel , that's really not good.
it's the most poor experience I had while transferring a domain.

Comments

• bapbap Member

@alsemany said:

>

2 days before the expiration

>

it will be completed 4-5 days

>

registrars not allowed outgoing transfer approval from their control panel

I dont have any idea :) Never have a deal with registrar who have this feature : "transfer approval via control panel". :)

• YuraYura Member

@alsemany said:

my simple review (it's not just for Domain.Com) but also for all registrars not allowed outgoing transfer approval from their control panel , that's really not good.
    it's the most poor experience I had while transferring a domain.

Then blame ICANN in your title, not domain.com. Also, knowing ICANN rules helps in the long run.

Thanked by 1WSS
  • Your first mistake is that you requested transfer just 2 days before the renewal date. This is an extremely short time window. Even for the well known .com, .net and similar domains, the transfer has to be requested several days before the end date, better be more than 2 weeks. Just read ICANN rules and you will understand why (among others, there is a 5 days period for cancelling - objections to the transfer for the client, in case of fraud / faulty request).
    For similar reasons, completing a transfer automatically just with a simple command from registrar control panel is not a good idea. It is a loophole for loosing the domain (hacked account, unauthorized access from client's computer etc.).
    Transfer errors can happen, it is your responsibility to start the procedure long before the expiration day to protect your property.

Thanked by 1pnklz
  • easyeasy Member

@bap said:

@alsemany said:

>

>

>

I dont have any idea :) Never have a deal with registrar who have this feature : "transfer approval via control panel". :)

maybe what he want to say is getting EPP transfer code via control panel.

for the info, you can Transfer your domains to another registrar even after expired.

• @easy said:

@bap said:

@alsemany said:

>

>

>

maybe what he want to say is getting EPP transfer code via control panel.

for the info, you can Transfer your domains to another registrar even after expired.

No, it's not about EEP code, it's about approving transfer from the current registrar to release the domain , once the domain released the transfer will be complete ,
    some systems can do that like (Godaddy, NameCheap) all what you need is just approve the transfer from the outgoing registrar

@pad , if you have a godaddy domain , when trying to transfer it out, simply after confirm the transfer from the incoming registrar you can simply login to the GoDaddy control panel and check the Transfer Out Tab and approve the transfer manually which will take just 15 minutes to complete the transfer

• easy said: you can Transfer your domains to another registrar even after expired.

I'm not sure about that !!
    I think this is not possible , can you please let me know how can you do that ??

• easyeasy Member

because you are already mentioned godaddy, here the link for https://www.godaddy.com/help/transferring-expired-domain-names-5019

• easy said: because you are already mentioned godaddy, here the link for https://www.godaddy.com/help/transferring-expired-domain-names-5019

>
    thank you
    that's the first time know that, that's very great option

• WSSWSS Member

I came here to school, and see it's already been done.

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@alsemany: Why live dangerously? As jvnadr says, it's best to transfer well before the domain expires. You don't lose any time from your registration when you transfer, so why wait until the last minute? By all signs, this is the source of your problem.

• YuraYura Member

@WSS said:

Your day job of kicking customers's asses at ChicagoVPS support is taking away too much of your time.

• WSSWSS Member

@Yura said:

@WSS said:

Your day job of kicking customers's asses at ChicagoVPS support is taking away too much of your time.

Ya know, this job would be great- if it wasn't for the fuckin' customers.

• Just would like to tell you something
    the transfer completed but the damn nameservers changed to their domain Parking with ADS, even if the domain marked for transfer .
    now I can manage the domain and change the name servers which will need two days to be updated globally.
    Imagine that there's thousands or millions of domains which changed the nameservers to their parking for more than 5 days, they already earn more than the domain renewal price

BTW, it's not about transferring domain before enough period or just two or one day. you are the owner of the domain so you can transfer it where ever you want due to the rules

• @jvnadr said:
    Your first mistake is that you requested transfer just 2 days before the renewal date. This is an extremely short time window.

This is not correct. Every new TLD including .COM can be transferred away even when domain is expired, my own experience.

Most of the domain registrars release domain within 24-48 hours, some in an hour. GoDaddy, register.it, tucows takes an hour to release domain, just user has to confirm either via Panel or via email they receive.

The OP should ask domain.com again to unlock it for you. They have no right to block the domain from transfer unless it goes into redemption period.

• TheKiller said: The OP should ask domain.com again to unlock it for you. They have no right to block the domain from transfer unless it goes into redemption period.

yes sure, they already released the domain, however they before of that changed the nameservers to their parking for ads

@TheKiller said:

@jvnadr said:
    Your first mistake is that you requested transfer just 2 days before the renewal date. This is an extremely short time window.

This is not correct. Every new TLD including .COM can be transferred away even when domain is expired, my own experience.

Most of the domain registrars release domain within 24-48 hours, some in an hour. GoDaddy, register.it, tucows takes an hour to release domain, just user has to confirm either via Panel or via email they receive.

The OP should ask domain.com again to unlock it for you. They have no right to block the domain from transfer unless it goes into redemption period.

You sound like a lawyer who's nitpicking.

There's a difference between what can be done with effort and what can be done with ease.

If the OP had tried to transfer well in advance of expiration, there would be no need for this thread. People transfer domains all the time without opening threads.

Since the OP waited until the last minute, it was more difficult, it required more intervention on both sides, it was a more frustrating experience. But yes, it is/was possible. (But the OP should then spare us the drama of his/her "bad experience" with domain.com.)

For comparison, consider this FAQ from Namecheap ( https://www.namecheap.com/support/knowledgebase/article.aspx/265/84/can-i-transfer-an-expired-domain-from-namecheap )

Can I transfer an expired domain from Namecheap?

If you would like to transfer an expired domain from us, submit a ticket to 'Domains -- Transfers' department and we will consider your case.

So, yes, more effort is needed in this case.

Thanked by 1pnklz
  • angstrom said: Since the OP waited until the last minute, it was more difficult, it required more intervention on both sides, it was a more frustrating experience. But yes, it is/was possible. (But the OP should then spare us the drama of his/her "bad experience" with domain.com.)

it was (two days) not last minutes, also I had to contact support to unlock the domain before take the transfer action (because the lock/unlock feature is not available in the domain control). while the domain status changed to pending transfer they locked the domain again and nameservers have been changed to their ads parking. it's not a silly Drama it's the true which already happened

@alsemany said:

angstrom said: Since the OP waited until the last minute, it was more difficult, it required more intervention on both sides, it was a more frustrating experience. But yes, it is/was possible. (But the OP should then spare us the drama of his/her "bad experience" with domain.com.)

it was (two days) not last minutes, also I had to contact support to unlock the domain before take the transfer action (because the lock/unlock feature is not available in the domain control). while the domain status changed to pending transfer they locked the domain again and nameservers have been changed to their ads parking. it's not a silly Drama it's the true which already happened

If it is true that you cannot unlock a domain for transfer from the control panel at domain.com, this would be a valid criticism. But is it true? Look at:

http://www1.domain.com/knowledgebase/beta/article.bml?ArticleID=1085

My conclusion is that you're mistaken about this. (Or is domain.com lying in this FAQ?)

Regarding the transfer of a nearly expired domain, there is no surprise here: it takes more than two days to transfer a domain (this is well-known), and your domain expired before it was transferred, which interrupted the process. Again, no surprise. I strongly suspect that you would have had such a problem at any registrar, so this is not about domain.com in particular.

So, yes, it is drama.

(I have no relation to domain.com, nor do I have an account with them.)

• sinsin Member
    edited March 2017

Well if you use domain.com, make sure to uncheck the "accept physical mailing ads" in the user panel...those fuckers sent me TONS of ads to my home address mailbox, everyday would be overflowing with ads with the single domain I had signed up with domain.com. I've never had that happen with any other domain provider.

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • angstrom said: If it is true that you cannot unlock a domain for transfer from the control panel at domain.com, this would be a valid criticism. But is it true? Look at:

My conclusion is that you're mistaken about this. (Or is domain.com lying in this FAQ?)

noo, I can't unlock

I think that you are who acting like a lawyer here

@alsemany said:

angstrom said: If it is true that you cannot unlock a domain for transfer from the control panel at domain.com, this would be a valid criticism. But is it true? Look at:

noo, I can't unlock

I think that you are who acting like a lawyer here

That image seems to say that you couldn't lock (not unlock!) the domain to begin with, but whatever ... I give up, you win.

• angstrom said: That image seems to say that you couldn't lock (not unlock!) the domain to begin with, but whatever ... I give up, you win.

it's not a controversy, and the domain already transferred, I'm just show you that the locking/unlocking feature were not available on my domain that's all
    anyway , have a nice day (or night)

Thanked by 1angstrom