Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Backup software suggestions (server/client)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Backup software suggestions (server/client)

I currently use a copy of Crashplan Home installed on a linux VPS, and have each of my Mac and Windows workstaions backup for free (well, still pay VPS fees). I use crashplan in this fashion because I do some IT consulting for some charities, and would cost them a fortune to plan for crahplan's cloud storage.

Crashplan has been a great backup solution -- The server/client can be installed on mac/linux/windows, and the client is a total set-it-and-forget-it program where I am never promted by users about issues or being nagged about updates.

However, in this setup I cannot centrally view all files to be restored (you have to login through each computer), the crossplatformness is done using java and a little slow on older PCs, and finally using this this called "Home Edition" seems unprofessional (even for charity work).

So i guess my question is: What backup servers would you recommend to be installed on a linux VPS, and would have a nice client for windows and hopefully mac?

Thanks all.

Comments

• This might work http://www.amanda.org/

• Duplicati looks interesting... testing it now. Any idea what happens when you miss a scheduled task? ie, say i have it scheduled for 1am daily, but the end user shuts down their machines everynight.... and turns it back on at 8am.

• ElliotJElliotJ Member

@etcSudoers said:
    Duplicati looks interesting... testing it now. Any idea what happens when you miss a scheduled task? ie, say i have it scheduled for 1am daily, but the end user shuts down their machines everynight.... and turns it back on at 8am.

You'll most likely need to add in fail detection of some sort - Perhaps send an email at the end of each completed backup.

As it's just incremental backups though you most likely won't be pushing that much data after the initial upload. I'd personally run the script 10 minutes after boot-up which, although may slow down the network for the first few minutes, shouldn't effect anything else in busier 'business' hours.