Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you want from a public CDN to use it?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What do you want from a public CDN to use it?

jimaekjimaek Member
edited May 2013 in General

I am the owner of a public CDN and I was wondering what web developers and designers want from a free public CDN and what would convince them to use one.

Edit: www.jsdelivr.com

Comments

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

Shared SSL free of charge,Google's SPDY protocol support, predefined set of JavaScript libraries (similar to Google and Microsoft)

• draziloxdrazilox Member
    edited May 2013

edit: oops, again I did not read the topic through

edit2: uncomplicated way to add stuff, unlike cdnjs.

• jimaekjimaek Member

Ok so far so good.

jsdelivr.com supports HTTPS, has a big library and also has a simple submission process for the non-developers.
    SPDY is planned for the future.

• MunMun Member

site?

Also I would want a nice control panel where you could add special file caches, but I already have my own (CDN)

• jimaekjimaek Member

@mun unfortunately this is not possible for a public CDN.

• MunMun Member

site?

• jimaekjimaek Member

@mun just check my first message.

• MunMun Member

It seems like a blog, and there is multiple different CDN companies involved. Which one/ section are you running?

• jimaekjimaek Member

@mun I think you just don't understand what I mean by public CDN. Basically its an alternative to Google hosted libraries (jquery and so on).
    I run the whole website/project and I use multiple CDN providers to deliver the content. Its not a blog and the links you see on homepage are the files hosted on the CDN.

• MunMun Member

yeah I started to pick up on that after looking through the site some more.

Sorry, for the long stupid questions. Didn't think you were running it that way.

• bdtechbdtech Member

Route 53 and a 20 second TTL? A bit costly? You using LBR or anycast for cdn.?

• jimaekjimaek Member
    edited May 2013

For CDN I load balance between NetDNA and CDN.NET.
    20s TTL to make sure load balancing works as supposed to. Check out the "Network" and "About" pages on the website for more info.

• jcalebjcaleb Member

automatic integration with wordpress

• jcalebjcaleb Member

thanks @jimaek

wordpress rules!

• jimaekjimaek Member

But what about features? What else would like to see a public CDN to have? I try to promote as much as I can right now but its kinda hard.

• draziloxdrazilox Member
    edited May 2013

Well, there is one problem, which cdnjs has too. Let's take an example script from your cdn, fontawesome, it should work by just adding

<link rel="stylesheet" href="http://cdn.jsdelivr.net/fontawesome/3.0.2/css/font-awesome.css">

to my html file, but, in that css file, there are paths to fonts it needs to use. Now, surely you do have those fonts at ../font/, but I don't. So even though the css is hosted at your cdn, it looks for those fonts at my end, and I don't have them.

I could fix this using another css file to look those files at //cdn.jsdelivr.net/fontawesome/3.0.2/font/, and not ../font/, but, could you do that?

TL;DR:

Replace this: http://u.qv.fi/10EJPtA

With this: http://u.qv.fi/14fkjZp

edit: sorry for messy post :(

• jimaekjimaek Member

You are right, I will make sure to fix this. Thanks

• CentaurCentaur Member

If you want more people to use it, ask all those github projects you are hosting to put a link in their readmes to your site. I think that is fair for hosting their project on a CDN. That way, the project's users will find a place where they can get the files to use on their sites and you will get some more advertising.

It looks like CDNjs is your biggest competitor, but they have a big company behind them for advertising. So you will have to be creative with your advertising.

• jimaekjimaek Member

@Centaur Thats a good idea but its practically impossible to contact them all since none of them lists their emails. And opening issues asking for backlinks is a little too low for me.

Yes, CDNjs is my main competition but I made sure jsDelivr offers much more. My project is also sponsored by big companies(NetDNA,OnApp,Uservoice) but for some reason they are not interested to promote me. And creativity is not my thing :)

• ztecztec Member

Nice, I will check out your wordpress plugin :)

• kandosankandosan Member
    edited June 2013

cache containers - > for every file type

example site.com:images:container:pop->NewYork;

example site.com:JavaScript:container:pop->Germany;

example site.com:video:container:pop->world-wide-pops;

a container cache for a given file type.
    we then just embed the container and not the actual file ....

example

link type="container/images" rel="pop-germany" href="//cdn.jsdelivr.ne/user/container"

• jimaekjimaek Member

@kandosan I'm not sure I totally understand your idea. Lets say you want to load jQuery in your website. How would you do it using your description above?

• kandosankandosan Member
    edited June 2013

im also confused lol anyway hope this helps !

• jimaekjimaek Member

@kandosan Sorry unfortunately can't do that. But if you want maybe I could allows users to specify what POP they want to hit.