Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Uniregistry massively raising prices of 16 gTLDs. ".hosting" going from $20 to $300 per year.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Uniregistry massively raising prices of 16 gTLDs. ".hosting" going from $20 to $300 per year.

PepeSilviaPepeSilvia Member
edited March 2017 in General

http://domainincite.com/21603-schilling-big-price-increases-needed-to-keep-new-gtlds-alive

Relevant bits:

“If you have a space with only 5,000 registrations, you need to have a higher price point to justify its existence, just because running a TLD isn’t free,” he said.

Most of the 16 TLDs have fewer than 10,000 names in their zones.

ICANN rules make it much easier to have a high base fee and keep it regularly discounted than to periodically increase fees, which requires six months notice.

“Between renewals promotions and pricing promotions, a lot of the effects of the price increases will be moot,” Schilling said.

Great way to convince the public to start using new TLDs. The price hike goes into effect in September, so it's time to mass renew or move away from your .hosting domains I guess.

The affected gTLDs are:

.hosting

.juegos

.click

.link

.audio

.blackfriday

.diet

.flowers

.hiphop

.guitars

.property

.christmas

.help

.sexy

.tattoo

Couldn't find the 16th one in the article.

Comments

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Going to be fun in September when all the people with pre agreements setup for billing who also ignore emails (expect around 40 - 50% of people) get charged $300

• There are clearly too many but I'm sure most will make a good go of chasing their losses.

That's a hefty increase for anyone who had long term ambitions for their .hosting domain.

• YuraYura Member
    edited March 2017

Damn. I have over 200 personal .sexy domains. Should give up self-hosting and move my photos and fan base to instagram already.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@AnthonySmith said:
    Going to be fun in September when all the people with pre agreements setup for billing who also ignore emails (expect around 40 - 50% of people) get charged $300

Profit $_$

• Just more chances for competitors

• sinsin Member
    edited March 2017

Ugh fucking bullshit, I have several .sexy domains that are ranking great but I'm not going to renewal them at some insane price.

• Seems like these crappy tld finally appears at what they are: a sophisticated scam!

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member

I honestly feel sorry for the poor sods who bought and used these absofuckinglutely useless gTLDs for their websites on a yearly basis.

It was only a matter of time before this happened.

• If that is true then there is a simple lesson to learn: Stay away from the Uniregistry fraudsters!

• Linovus (vortexnode etc) has http://www.linovus.hosting/ for one of their hosting pages/companies, should not be worth 300$ to renew.

Thanked by 1quick
  • “If you have a space with only 5,000 registrations, you need to have a higher price point to justify its existence, just because running a TLD isn’t free,” he said.

When supply is high and demand is low, the solution is not to increase prices. This is especially true when you have the sort of massive competition that the explosion of TLDs created. These people need to talk with someone who didn't fail Business 101.

“Between renewals promotions and pricing promotions, a lot of the effects of the price increases will be moot,” Schilling said.

Not in the eyes of anyone who considers the legitimacy of such TLDs.

• Shows what a scam gTLDs are.

• This is why we don't fall for the gTLD garbage.

FYI a few years ago, had a local .biz domain and locals were having issues comprehending it. I'm sure this applies to all gTLDs. If you register openvz.hosting you better make sure openvzhosting.com is registered to you also because people were putting .com on the end of the .biz domain I had.

• http://linuxiso.party is still the bestest domain evar. Still renews at $1.50 a year or something like that I think.

Thanked by 2netomx doughmanes
  • WSSWSS Member

@willie said:
    http://linuxiso.party is still the bestest domain evar. Still renews at $1.50 a year or something like that I think.

crackwhore.date shall never be equaled! heavenfor.bid ain't bad tho.

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member

@WSS said:

@willie said:
    http://linuxiso.party is still the bestest domain evar. Still renews at $1.50 a year or something like that I think.

This episode reminds me of my lowend.faith in gTLDs :P

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • angstromangstrom Moderator

@K4Y5 said:

@WSS said:

@willie said:

So it's you, K4Y5, who got lowend.faith? :-)

I just want to point out that lowend.date is still available! This is the one to get, people!

I'm mildly shocked that crackwhore.date, crackwhore.com, crackwhore.net, and crackwhore.org are all taken ...

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@Someone said:
    @angstrom and I'm shocked you even searched for those! ;)

You got me. :-) But it's only because @WSS has mentioned crackwhore.date several times -- I myself would never have thought of such a domain name! So it's actually his fault. ;-)

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member

@angstrom said:

@K4Y5 said:

@WSS said:

@willie said:

So it's you, K4Y5, who got lowend.faith? :-)

I just want to point out that lowend.date is still available! This is the one to get, people!

I'm mildly shocked that crackwhore.date, crackwhore.com, crackwhore.net, and crackwhore.org are all taken ...

Uhm, Yes, I bought that one.

• southysouthy Member
    edited April 2017

@impossiblystupid said:

“If you have a space with only 5,000 registrations, you need to have a higher price point to justify its existence, just because running a TLD isn’t free,” he said.

When supply is high and demand is low, the solution is not to increase prices. This is especially true when you have the sort of massive competition that the explosion of TLDs created. These people need to talk with someone who didn't fail Business 101.

You got it all wrong:
    I'm sure their model will actually work just fine:
    Lure people in with lower prices, then raise them extremely and count on that lots of client's won't notice (in time).

20$ -> 300$ = this will already pay off if just 7% of the client base do not notice what's going on.

And I assume at least 1/3 will not. That would result in revenue x5!

Not bad for such a useless crap of a business.

• michaelsmichaels Member
    edited April 2017

Be interesting to see if HP/CSC can afford it come renewal :) or will dxc.technology disappear...

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

These TLDs are all terrible. Wouldn't catch my eye for anything over $5.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • tmwctmwc Member

@zrunner said:
    Linovus (vortexnode etc) has http://www.linovus.hosting/ for one of their hosting pages/companies, should not be worth 300$ to renew.

Regarding this, it seems that the domain registrar is under Enom. So it might as well be bypassed.

Sponsoring Registrar: eNom, Inc.

• UsedOurTLDForYour.hosting?

RenewalCostsWillPutYouOn.diet!

OrTheDomainsYouPromotedWillBecomeOur.property

AndYouShouldNotWaitFor.help

BecauseExpensiveDomainsAre.sexy

SinceOurBusinessStyleIs.hiphop

Thanked by 2WSS JoaoCAM
  • WSSWSS Member

cantaffordalowend.party