Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for some beta testers for our new Wyvern release and KVM services.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for some beta testers for our new Wyvern release and KVM services.

KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
edited March 2017 in General

We've (finally) made some changes to our KVM services and have release a rather large update to Wyvern so we can be 100% SolusVM free in the future. I'm looking for some beta testers to give it a try before we start offering the new KVM service so if you're interested please use the link below to sign up and include your LET username in the order notes (no username, no service). We only have a limited number of beta tester spots available and I'm going to be selective in who gets a VPS but if you're an active member here then you'll most likely get a VPS to test out.

https://securedragon.net/clients/cart.php?a=add&pid=263

The VPSs will expire next week and we would appreciate any and all feedback, both good and bad. We have a lot of features in the works so your feature requests will help us prioritize our development. Please report any issues you experience or anything that acts differently than you'd expect it to. Lastly, I am working on better documentation so anything you'd like clarification on feel free to ask so I can be sure to add it to the documentation. Thanks!

Please note that some features are disabled due to current hardware limitations like the backups, snapshots, and migrations. These features do work and we expect them to be enabled in the future.

Thanked by 1jcaleb

Comments

• WSSWSS Member

I've got a few hours to kill..

Thanked by 2KuJoe dedicados
  • Submit an order and don't pay?

Thanked by 1KuJoe
  • KuJoe said: Please report and issues you experience

This sentence has any issue in it. Please fix.

:D

Cheers!

Thanked by 1KuJoe
  • WSSWSS Member

@doughmanes said:
    Submit an order and don't pay?

I sure hope not..

KVM-SSD-512M - new.server.vps (03/07/2017 - 04/06/2017) $2065999.99 USD
    +100GB Bandwidth: 1377330 x +100GB Bandwidth $1.50 USD
    Initial Location: fl1|Tampa - SSD
    Verify VPS: on
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Sub Total: $2065999.99 USD
    Credit: $0.00 USD
    Total: $2065999.99 USD 

Thanked by 3sin Rhys Janevski
  • WSSWSS Member

I like all of the 9s.

• Got my welcome email. Running smooth so far.

Thanked by 1KuJoe
  • I have an issue with you not using a real cert on your shopping cart. I like lets encrypt as much as the next guy but strongly believe you should have a paid cert if you are taking CC info.

Thanked by 1KuJoe
  • KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@WSS said:

@doughmanes said:
    Submit an order and don't pay?

I sure hope not..

KVM-SSD-512M - new.server.vps (03/07/2017 - 04/06/2017) $2065999.99 USD
    +100GB Bandwidth: 1377330 x +100GB Bandwidth $1.50 USD
    Initial Location: fl1|Tampa - SSD
    Verify VPS: on
    Sub Total: $2065999.99 USD
    Credit: $0.00 USD
    Total: $2065999.99 USD 

I'm not sure why you ordered 137733TB of bandwidth, but I fixed your order. ;)

And yes, don't pay. I'm manually handling the orders and adjusting the invoices. :)

Thanked by 2WSS doughmanes

@TheLinuxBug said:

KuJoe said: Please report and issues you experience

This sentence has any issue in it. Please fix.

:D

Cheers!

Fixed! :D

@jamesrat said:
    I have an issue with you not using a real cert on your shopping cart. I like lets encrypt as much as the next guy but strongly believe you should have a paid cert if you are taking CC info.

We are not taking any credit card or payment info. I opted for LetsEncrypt because it's just easier to maintain and it has no impact on anything since no payment information is being passed through our website or servers.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • RhysRhys Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2017

@jamesrat said:
    I have an issue with you not using a real cert on your shopping cart. I like lets encrypt as much as the next guy but strongly believe you should have a paid cert if you are taking CC info.

Do you work for Comodo? You seem like the type of person that works at Comodo. You should work at Comodo if not.

• @MeltedLux said:

@jamesrat said:

Do you work for Comodo? You seem like the type of person that works at Comodo. You should work at Comodo if not.

I do not work for Comodo. I just hate seeing "providers" act like they are running a business and using a free cert because they don't want to to spend $8 on a real cert. I don't have an issue using Let's encrypt for non-payment sites. As @KuJoe pointed out he is not transferring CC info as its being processed off-site.

I am satisfied with that answer.

Thanked by 1KuJoe
  • doughmanesdoughmanes Member
    edited March 2017

Nobody is seriously trusting Comodo after today's Wikileaks info drop are they? You know, those real SSL certificates

• WSSWSS Member
    edited March 2017

I like to be prepared.

Initial thoughts:

• You really should set a div within the area of the management so when you update the response, it goes back down there instead of forcing you to scroll down the page, which gets annoying quickly. (pass it as an anchor to the client?) E.G. client clicks "Start", page reloads with your status- and anchor is back at the top of the page, rather than focusing on the console message.

• Mounting doesn't always work with a reset. I had to stop (destroy) my KVM instance for it to actually mount the CD.

• It doesn't work with OpenBSD at all - and I don't know why. The moment it loads to the ramdisk installation portion- (I)nstall, (A)utoinstall, etc part, VNC drops off and I can't reconnect. I have to actually destroy the session and restart. It goes down hard, but the status still claims to be 'running':

vncviewer: ConnectToTcpAddr: connect: Connection refused
    Unable to connect to VNC server

• I really like that you let me choose which drivers to use (e1000/virtio, ide/virtio), but it'd be nice to have a few other options, too, like the rtl8129/etc settings, VGA, et al..
    Thanked by 2Rhys KuJoe
  • IshaqIshaq Member

@jamesrat said: I have an issue with you not using a real cert on your shopping cart. I like lets encrypt as much as the next guy but strongly believe you should have a paid cert if you are taking CC info.

What does a certificate have anything to do with how SSL/TLS works?

• IshaqIshaq Member

Thanked by 2Rhys KuJoe
  • WSSWSS Member
    edited March 2017

There's something else wrong with the KVM; it's been sitting here for a couple minutes- is the HD just swamped with all of us hitting it?

"Boot Device" is also inconsistent. I needed to change it to "Boot CDROM", and "Mount" separately with the KVM turned off before I could get it to boot FreeBSD from CD again after the above installation hung (but vnc was still responsive).

Thanked by 3Rhys doughmanes KuJoe
  • jamesrat said: real cert

LetsEncrypt is a real cert, with the same audit requirement etc. needed for any other CA to get into the browser root stores.

Thanked by 2Rhys ucxo
  • doughmanes said: Nobody is seriously trusting Comodo after today's Wikileaks info drop

I think the CIA hack of Comodo was about their anti-virus tools, not the cert authority.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • doughmanesdoughmanes Member
    edited March 2017

WSS said: There's something else wrong with the KVM; it's been sitting here for a couple minutes- is the HD just swamped with all of us hitting it?

I got a ticket in for that. Joe is grabbing a new ISO

Thanked by 1KuJoe

@WSS said:
    I like to be prepared.

Nothing wrong with that. :)

Initial thoughts:

• You really should set a div within the area of the management so when you update the response, it goes back down there instead of forcing you to scroll down the page, which gets annoying quickly. (pass it as an anchor to the client?) E.G. client clicks "Start", page reloads with your status- and anchor is back at the top of the page, rather than focusing on the console message.

I really need to give the UI an overhaul, this would be a good first step.

• Mounting doesn't always work with a reset. I had to stop (destroy) my KVM instance for it to actually mount the CD.

I think I need to change the wording in Wyvern, the "Restart" function is about useless when it comes to the config file for KVM and a power cylce (stop then start) is really what needs to be done for most of the config changes. I'll work on the wording in Wyvern to clarify that.

• It doesn't work with OpenBSD at all - and I don't know why. The moment it loads to the ramdisk installation portion- (I)nstall, (A)utoinstall, etc part, VNC drops off and I can't reconnect. I have to actually destroy the session and restart. It goes down hard, but the status still claims to be 'running':
    vncviewer: ConnectToTcpAddr: connect: Connection refused
    Unable to connect to VNC server

Somebody else pointed out an issue with FreeBSD also, I'm working on that now and hopefully it'll resolve the issue with OpenBSD in the process. Unfortunately I only tested CentOS, Debian, Server 2008, and Server 2012 in development.

• I really like that you let me choose which drivers to use (e1000/virtio, ide/virtio), but it'd be nice to have a few other options, too, like the rtl8129/etc settings, VGA, et al..

I'll definitely look into these, I tried to keep everything as simple as possible for new users but maybe adding an "Advanced" tab would be useful for other clients.

• RhysRhys Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2017

WSS said: Mounting doesn't always work with a reset. I had to stop (destroy) my KVM instance for it to actually mount the CD.

not sure if it's just me but I'm not able to mount an ubuntu 16.04 iso at all it just fails with code 0003 in the kvm

Thanked by 1KuJoe

@Ishaq said:

Fixed. :)

• WSSWSS Member
    edited March 2017

"Boot Device" is also inconsistent. I needed to change it to "Boot CDROM", and "Mount" separately with the KVM turned off before I could get it to boot FreeBSD from CD again after the above installation hung (but vnc was still responsive).

By having all of the options on the same "tab", it can be confusing to people who assume you can make multiple changes and just click a single submit button- unless this is desired behavior.

The above only happened once after a couple reboot/reinstalls, so I'll mark it up as coincidental.

Thanked by 1KuJoe

@WSS said:
    There's something else wrong with the KVM; it's been sitting here for a couple minutes- is the HD just swamped with all of us hitting it?

Oops! It might be sitting there because I removed the old ISO and replaced it with a new one because another client was reporting issues with it. I didn't even think to consider somebody else would be using that ISO at the same time. You might need to restart the installation.

Unfortunately each action/function has a separate button so you will need to change the boot and then mount the ISO or vise versa. They can't be changed at the same time and will each require a button click for WHMCS to register the change.

• IshaqIshaq Member

The welcome email links to a SolusVM installation "master.securedragon.net"

Is that intended?

Thanked by 2Rhys KuJoe
  • WSSWSS Member

You're eventually going to want to fork your process to kill the pid, rather than waiting on the task, because this will eventually DDoS your client area from some retard smashing the buttons like a retarded monkey.

Thanked by 1KuJoe

@Ishaq said:
    The welcome email links to a SolusVM installation "master.securedragon.net"

Is that intended?

Good catch! I need to fix the e-mail template. :D

• WSS said: because this will eventually DDoS your client area from some retard smashing the buttons like a retarded monkey.

Seen SolusVM go down/high load with past provider I worked at with this situation

Thanked by 2Rhys KuJoe
  • WSSWSS Member
    edited March 2017

IP is given, but other network information is not outlined in email, nor in the client area. I'm trying a Debian install, and all I have is a single /32. Is this a pointopoint? Is it part of a subnet? (No DHCP response with virtio driver), etc..

Thanked by 2Rhys KuJoe