Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Plex server provider?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Plex server provider?

Hi all,

Looking to setup a Plex server.

I have not done this before but planning to teach myself. However, first things first i need a provider, and to think of the cheapest way to do it.

Basically, myself and 4 family members pay a guy monthly to use his server but his servers have been going downhill. So i want to look into setting one up myself.

So there will be about 5 people (Manchester/UK) using the server.

Anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance,
Chris

Comments

• If you can test out the connection and it's good for you a Hetzner server from the auctions is the best deal you can get.

It has a great CPU for transcoding and 1GBIT speeds for watching HD stuff even with multiple people at once, and the best part is that they have 6TB space for around 29euros a month

• doughmanesdoughmanes Member
    edited March 2017

Setup fee is a little rough compared to other options but I doubt all 5 users will hit Plex at the same time

I've ran 2 on similar hardware in similar circumstances

https://www.online.net/en/dedicated-server/dedibox-xc

• WSSWSS Member

I second Hetzner. OVH might do, but depends on the location.

• I run a seedbox/Plex server on my online.net box. And it's awesome.

Thanked by 1pbgben
  • @wrightyrx7 said:
    Hi all,

I have not done this before but planning to teach myself. However, first things first i need a provider, and to think of the cheapest way to do it.

Basically, myself and 4 family members pay a guy monthly to use his server but his servers have been going downhill. So i want to look into setting one up myself.

So there will be about 5 people (Manchester/UK) using the server.

Anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance,
    Chris

Just curious, how much were you paying the guy?

Thanked by 1pbgben
  • what happened to the LETplex server project?

• I second taking a look at zxplay. I am using them for a storage node but the performance of the storage node would make for a decent plex node. I think they offer hosted plex service.

• dedicadosdedicados Member
    edited March 2017

@wojons said:

I think they offer hosted plex service.

Yes they do.

from site: https://zxplay.co.uk/

DEDICATED
    PLEX MEDIA HOSTING

Guranteed resource environment, secure and private.
    Perfect for sharing content with your family & friends, a central location for them important memories
    Plex allows the viewing and playback from multiple device's anywhere in the world, and with our high quality connectivity to Tier 1 Bandwidth Providers incl (Level3) you can use us anywhere.

• KS-1 is all you need.

Thanked by 1WSS
  • pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

@wrightyrx7 said:
    Hi all,

Hey Chris,

Mind us asking how much you used to pay to that guy, in total.

@asterisk14 said:
    what happened to the LETplex server project?

Its on a hiatus, never could work out how to scale the system, I think the idea is to get a high bandwidth fileserver and provide readonly access to a share with EVERYTHING

• Wouldn't recommend using a hosted Plex service. Would recommend getting your own dedicated server and setting up Plex yourself.

• tmwctmwc Member
    edited March 2017

@ladude626 said:
    Wouldn't recommend using a hosted Plex service. Would recommend getting your own dedicated server and setting up Plex yourself.

Doesn't mean it wouldn't work. After all, we just wanna sit down and watch a movie/show after a day.

• Anyone have experience how many ppl can watch on kimsufi at once? Given the files will be 1080 and direct play, no transcoding

• WSSWSS Member

@emperor said:
    Anyone have experience how many ppl can watch on kimsufi at once? Given the files will be 1080 and direct play, no transcoding

Between 0 to 50. There's no guarantee with the network, and being on a 100mbit port which may flap at any time, you might as well newzbin.

Thanked by 1emperor
  • pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

Currently using scaleway to host an emby share. One stream with no transcode is good. Sadly have no chimps that can help me load the bastard down.

• ardaarda Member
    edited March 2017

ks-3c was all I needed.

• OVH's backup server was good. I ran Plex on an Atom and on a Xeon-D which you may get if you order a backup server as I was lucky enough to get one