Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dissapointed with BuyVM
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dissapointed with BuyVM

Don't worry, I am not calling BuyVM a scam, they are not a scam, but I was definitely not satisfied with my purchase.

I felt as this review was needed as with all the praise I heard from BuyVM, I did not experience the same. I was told that the plans would receive unmetered bandwidth now, and I said I plan on using around 5 TB a month, which I was told was perfectly fine, even with the cheapest plan.

After purchasing my plan yesterday my NJ was slow, and my LV plan was not working at all. I opened a ticket, and after a bit my LV was recreated and seemed to be working, however the network was not working at all, so it was still basically useless, and I was told it would be several hours before they sent a tech out to work on fixing it.

Also after asking the same question about the bandwidth, they stated that the unmetered bandwidth could switch back to 500 GB at any time, even before my billing cycle ends. I was told I could easily purchase more bandwidth however for $2.50 per TB. The reason I purchased this plan, is because of the high amount of bandwidth I was planning on using. I was surprised, it seemed like a great price for the amount of bandwidth I was allowed to use. They told me before paying that I could use 5 TB, and after paying I was told that I might only be allowed to use up to 500 GB per month in the future.

Knowing that that cost of my $4.00 monthly plans could jump to $26.50 ($2.50 per TB x 9) at any point, and the fact that after a day I still could not connect to my LV VPS, I requested a refund, which they did send, however they did not refund the amount for the first day, even though during the first day, the service was not working.

I told them that I should receive the refund for the first day as well, as my service wasn't even working, which they responded by saying no, deleting my ticket and deleting my account. This was not Francisco that made these actions, but unfortunately I can't say who it was, as the ticket was deleted. Francisco was very nice and helpful when I asked him directly, but I did not experience the same from this other support rep.

Once again, I am not calling BuyVM a scam in any way, I am sure my problems with LV would have eventually been fixed, but I choose to cancel my services as I did not want to have to wait for the problems to be fixed, and I was worried about similar future problems.

Thanked by 1Xei

Comments

• Valentin Raulet?

• myhkenmyhken Member
    edited March 2017

jamespeach said: Knowing that that cost of my $4.00 monthly plans could jump to $26.50 ($2.50 per TB x 9) at any point, and the fact that after a day I still could not connect to my LV VPS, I requested a refund, which they did send, however they did not refund the amount for the first day, even though during the first day, the service was not working.

So they kept $0.13 ($4/30=0.13 per day) for the first day? OMG!!! Call the news stations.

Thanked by 3Maounique marrco eol
  • ZappieZappie Member, Host Rep, LIR

myhken said: So they kept $0.13 ($4/30=0.13 per day) for the first day? OMG!!! Call the news stations.

For the sake of principles (money values a side), I would have thought its easier to refund the full amount considering the OP had services which was not fully functional?

• @myhken said:

jamespeach said: Knowing that that cost of my $4.00 monthly plans could jump to $26.50 ($2.50 per TB x 9) at any point, and the fact that after a day I still could not connect to my LV VPS, I requested a refund, which they did send, however they did not refund the amount for the first day, even though during the first day, the service was not working.

So they kept $0.13 ($4/30=0.13 per day) for the first day? OMG!!! Call the news stations.

The problem is they did not issue a full refund for the non-working service. This is obviously not much of an issue with me, but would have been more of an issue if a more expensive server was purchased. They still billed me for a day when the service wasn't even working, the amount is irreverent.

• busbrbusbr Member
    edited March 2017

@Zappie said:

myhken said: So they kept $0.13 ($4/30=0.13 per day) for the first day? OMG!!! Call the news stations.

For the sake of principles (money values a side), I would have thought its easier to refund the full amount considering the OP had services which was not fully functional?

IIRC when I installed Debian through the ISO, the networking was not configured. I did static configurations in /etc/network/interfaces and things worked well. Not sure if OP gave that a try.

• Can't find any Refund in their TOS. So actually you did not have the right for a refund at all, or are I'm missing something in their TOS?

• FalzoFalzo Member

"How to not avoid odd reviews at $0,13" @francisco

Thanked by 1netomx
  • YuraYura Member

@myhken said:
    Can't find any Refund in their TOS. So actually you did not have the right for a refund at all, or are I'm missing something in their TOS?

That's irrelevant if pre-sales said 5TB, then lowered to 500GB. Let's not dwell too much on 13 cents.

Thanked by 1msallak1
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

The LV one i'm working out, I'm fairly sure there's a piece of networking hardware in the midst of taking a dive, just can't pinpoint what yet.

I'm not aware of anything funny in NY though so if you got some more feedback I can look. All of those boxes got a temporary upgrade right now so if anything they'll be running even faster than before.

The bandwidth is incorrect, I guess the staff didn't get my notice about the changes.

Just throw me a ticket ID and I'll clear you up. I'll throw you a month credit on the two services if you want it down the road and i'll have them refund the silly pro-rated.

Francisco

• @Francisco said:
    The LV one i'm working out, I'm fairly sure there's a piece of networking hardware in the midst of taking a dive, just can't pinpoint what yet.

I'm not aware of anything funny in NY though so if you got some more feedback I can look. All of those boxes got a temporary upgrade right now so if anything they'll be running even faster than before.

The bandwidth is incorrect, I guess the staff didn't get my notice about the changes.

Just throw me a ticket ID and I'll clear you up. I'll throw you a month credit on the two services if you want it down the road and i'll have them refund the silly pro-rated.

Francisco

Now that's what i call customer service.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Fair review, solid reply from Fran :)

edited March 2017

@FoxelVox said:

@Francisco said:

Francisco

Thanks Nelson!

Sorry, I'll be short on my usual daily banter for now, this bugs driving me mad.

Also, OP did nothing wrong so don't give him a hard time. While I would've appreciated he touch base in PM before hand, to each their own.

Francisco

• jiggawattjiggawatt Member
    edited March 2017

Francisco said: Also, OP did nothing wrong so don't give him a hard time. While I would've appreciated he touch base in PM before hand, to each their own.

I like BuyVM but there's no denying that support is rude AF.

You know that instead of hitting the "Cancel and Refund" button in WHMCS, whoever handled that ticket wasted a little extra time expressing her passive-aggression by calculating and inputting a pro-rated refund. . . Am I wrong?

Thanked by 1desperand

@jiggawattz said:

Francisco said: Also, OP did nothing wrong so don't give him a hard time. While I would've appreciated he touch base in PM before hand, to each their own.

I like BuyVM but there's no denying that support is rude AF.

You know that instead of hitting the "Cancel and Refund" button in WHMCS, whoever handled that ticket wasted a little extra time expressing her passive-aggression by calculating and inputting a pro-rated refund. . . Am I wrong?

We have those auto calculated.

Francisco

Thanked by 1jiggawatt
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

From the accounting point of view, a full refund makes more sense, at least with EU rules.

• XeiXei Member
    edited March 2017

My experience with BuyVM was incessant packet loss / horrible network (they're full of excuses why something is/was always going wrong). I definitely felt scammed (I've been with shit providers that performed significantly better) so I moved onto great providers and never looked back. My story was posted in the past, I can't say I'm surprised by your experience as it's business as usual for BuyVM. The hype train is strong, if only it could be backed by quality.

Thanked by 1kaflo

@Xei said:
    My experience with BuyVM was incessant packet loss / horrible network (they're full of excuses why something is/was always going wrong). I definitely felt scammed (I've been with shit providers that performed significantly better) so I moved onto great providers and never looked back. My story was posted in the past, I can't say I'm surprised by your experience as it's business as usual for BuyVM. The hype train is strong, if only it could be backed by quality.

If you're still into tinkering I'd happily throw you a 6 month sample of one of our slices to see how things are. I can do this later in the week.

Let me know if you're ever interested, I assure you I've greatly improved things and more on the way :)

Francisco

• VortexMagnusVortexMagnus Member
    edited March 2017

Judge not by the issues you face, but by how those issues are resolved.

Fair play @Francisco !

• ljsealsljseals Member
    edited March 2017

In business their will be many problems but I believe @Francisco has been more than fair with resolving these issues in this thread. When things go wrong it can be ruthless in this forum as it can hurt business and cast a perception of doubt on the quality of service. I thank the Lord for touching @Francisco's heart as no provider would like to have a customer service issue thread in this forum.

With that said @Francisco I pray that you ask for the Lord's help and I am thankful for your kind and generous replies. God bless you!

• @Maounique said:
    From the accounting point of view, a full refund makes more sense, at least with EU rules.

I vote for a new "Bureaucrat" tag on the forum :D

• @FoxelVox said:

Sorry, no. That's what one might call (no nonsense, very good) Francisco service.
    As for customer service just read OPs story.
    It seems Francisco should make some of his people understand what the right mindset and way to treat customers is.

• HxxxHxxx Member

@Francisco
    I'm willing to pay per ticket with an option to escalate to you the tickets, even if is like $25 dollars. :)
    I don't know what you feed to that first line of support but eh is not easy, I end up drinking more coffee than normal.

• The customer is always right. That is the basis of all good business, poor support or bad customer service will frighten them, so have the best product

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@vanhels said:
    The customer is always right. That is the basis of all good business, poor support or bad customer service will frighten them, so have the best product

Well... Customer isn't /alllways/ right..

Thanked by 1deadbeef

@Hxxx said:
    @Francisco
    I'm willing to pay per ticket with an option to escalate to you the tickets, even if is like $25 dollars. :)
    I don't know what you feed to that first line of support but eh is not easy, I end up drinking more coffee than normal.

You should see me in tickets more, frontline tickets too :) With all the projects we had to get done now completed, I can get back to that.

Francisco

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

From the accounting point of view, a full refund makes more sense, at least with EU rules.> @ljseals said:

In business their will be many problems but I believe @Francisco has been more than fair with resolving these issues in this thread. When things go wrong it can be ruthless in this forum as it can hurt business and cast a perception of doubt on the quality of service. I thank the Lord for touching @Francisco's heart as no provider would like to have a customer service issue thread in this forum.

With that said @Francisco I pray that you ask for the Lord's help and I am thankful for your kind and generous replies. God bless you!

A blast from the past, I remember similar things when I joined the forum many years ago. These things give "following" a whole new meaning.

• SetsuraSetsura Member
    edited March 2017

I really do want to like BuyVM, because @Francisco has been a pretty cool guy, I even voted for them in the last top provider poll. That said, I had to take any type of "production"(think websites with more than like 5 visitors) sites off their services back in like 2015(poor memory, could be +/- a year) because of a lot of the aforementioned network issues, I believe this was just before he and fiberhub fixed an issue with the line cards or something causing performances derps in NV, but for me the damage was done. I still keep a small machine there for a relatively unimportant service I host, and as far as I can see the network is better on average than back then, but I do still see packet loss every now and then. It is too bad NV seems plagued with issues, I really did want to buy one of the new KVM services there, but I can't get myself over what happened before.

The above said I still think Fran is a cool guy and I appreciate his, hm, sense of humour lets say, because didn't he have a semi-nude photo of himself on the official about us page? That was just great.

Setsura said: but I can't get myself over the lasting bad taste.

Same offer extended as @Xei.

Francisco

• @Francisco said:

Setsura said: but I can't get myself over the lasting bad taste.

Same offer extended as @Xei.

Francisco

I actually reworded what I said so as to try to not be an asshole lol. I appreciate the offer though, it shows what I mean about you being a solid guy. I might take you up on it, I hope I didn't come off as trying to fish for free service, because that was not the intention at all.

This discussion has been closed.