Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ChicagoVPS Outage
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ChicagoVPS Outage

nikcubnikcub Member

Last Thursday (4 days ago) I hit one of my websites to find it not responding. Went to SSH into the server to find it also not responding, went to SSH into the backup server and it also was not responding. Logged into the ChicagoVPS admin panel to find both my servers (OpenVZ Enterprise) marked as offline.

I clicked on start and they both manually came back up. No monitoring alert and no other indications of what happen, other than a huge 5-6 hour gap in my Google Analytics.

I filed a support ticket and so far I have the one line reply of 'looks like it was a DDoS'. My servers are on two different nodes, so if they were both taken out other customers also would have noticed. Anybody here on ChicagoVPS and had an outage on Thursday?

Latest from the company is that they closed my ticket without a response. I just re-opened it asking why the servers went down and why no monitoring alerts were issued. I definitely will not be relying solely on the built-in monitoring any longer and am evaluating ChicagoVPS as a host (i've also referred a lot of people there).

Comments

• Mine look up, 4 different nodes

http://stats.pingdom.com/jzrszp4wfu79

• laaevlaaev Member
    edited May 2013

Nik,

Both of your VPS seems to be on the same node. Per our conversation via ticket, we are migrating one of your VPS's to a separate node. I have updated your ticket and look forward to your response.

Thank you for your cooperation and have a great rest of your weekend.

• Ironically people are active at LET more, file a complaint and they ll respond faster and clear than ticketing system.

• laaevlaaev Member
    edited May 2013

@darknessends said:
    Ironically people are active at LET more, file a complaint and they ll respond faster and clear than ticketing system.

I'm not sure if you're talking about us, or just saying in general, but I responded to his ticket initially before I even saw his post on LET. LET, as with every forum, is more of a resource/entertainment source to me, and I always put work as a priority before even checking LET.

We are working with getting one of the client's VPS migrated to another node as both of his VPS currently reside on the same hypervisor.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2013

@Jack said:
    Ay, upgrade to solusvm beta even Chris can move vms then as I'm aware he is more a button clicker than a CLI person ?

That's not a bad thing, though...

• laaevlaaev Member

Haha, it's a good thing Chris has techs and doesn't touch the servers ;)

I'm curious if any LE* provider is actually running SolusVM beta in production and how its performing for them.

I personally never had the time to try it out on our development box yet. Is the migration tool included in SolusVM beta only for OVZ or XEN too? I'm accustomed to manually tar'ing up containers and SCP'ing them for migrations, but if the migration tool included in SolusVM's next version works flawless then it may actually be a time saver.

• @CVPS_Kevin, more of a general statement.

@Jack said:
    Ah I see is that you are too?

I'm somewhere in between... if there is a button for it, I'll of course use that over mucking around in the CLI. That said, I have no problem doing things that don't have a button in SolusVM, so I'm unsure of the point you're trying to make.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

@CVPS_Kevin While I don't personally run it, I know there a some providers on here that do.

From what they have said it is pretty stable. Migration is included I believe

• @darknessends said:
    Ironically people are active at LET more, file a complaint and they ll respond faster and clear than ticketing system.

Delayed response on a public forum = bad publicity

Delayed response on a private ticket = noone notices (to a certain extend)

• laaevlaaev Member
    edited May 2013

@Fliphost @Jack Thanks for the information. Any ETA on when this will be released in a stable version, and not a BETA? I don't feel comfortable running beta software on a production environment.

@gsrdgrdghd said:

This works both ways, actually. If there is a delayed response on a ticket, that will encourage the customer to post on a public forum. This is why we push our staff for fast response times on tickets (and just excellent service overall), but due to Memorial Day weekend we are slightly understaffed this weekend. Tom is enjoying himself gambling in Atlantic City while I'm here working! :-( Maybe if he wins big he won't even bother coming back to work lol.

Honestly, his ticket was answered before I made my post on LET and before I even noticed this thread. When I saw his username sounded very familiar on LET I then posted a response to clarify the situation, as both of his VPS reside on the same hypervisor at the moment.

• @chicagovps - how much staff you have?

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

@CVPS No idea sorry. @soluslabs would probably be the best to answer that. Though add a week or two after the date said. Their ETA's seem to be a bit off usually.

• laaevlaaev Member

@darknessends said:
    chicagovps - how much staff you have?

At the moment, we have 5. A lot of our staff including myself go the extra mile and help out even when we're not officially "on the clock", so its working well for us as a united team. We're actively recruiting new staff members and look forward to expanding our company and team in the near future! :-)

• laaevlaaev Member

@Fliphost said:
    CVPS No idea sorry. soluslabs would probably be the best to answer that. Though add a week or two after the date said. Their ETA's seem to be a bit off usually.

No worries, and yeah I noticed.

• nikcubnikcub Member

Thanks for the response Kevin, as I mentioned - feel free to move that VM

As an FYI the responses in the support panel were fine, it turns out that closing the ticket was automated because the thread had been dormant for 48 hours.

Purpose of me posting here was to find out how broad this problem was and if it had affected anybody else, I didn't realize both of my VM's were on the same node ( I signed up for them months apart)

They are primaries only on some smaller sites I host for people and both failovers for my personal services. Still very satisfied, we know what we are getting into when we pick OpenVZ over other virtualization (eg. nodes going down)

edited May 2013

I run beta and so does catalysthost so i think it's safe...

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@CVPS_Kevin said:
    At the moment, we have 5. A lot of our staff including myself go the extra mile and help out even when we're not officially "on the clock", so its working well for us as a united team. We're actively recruiting new staff members and look forward to expanding our company and team in the near future! :-)

I'm sure someone mentioned you had 8, did some get fired or what?

• DomainBopDomainBop Member
    edited May 2013

@shovenose said:
    I run beta and so does catalysthost so i think it's safe...

LOL, LET provides more laughs than Comedy Central :P

• @Jack said:
    "Our node firewalls blocks it sometimes" bullshit excuse.

Pingdom is crap. It's notoriously inaccurate

• aglodekaglodek Member

@nikcub said: I didn't realize both of my VM's were on the same node ( I signed up for them months apart)

FYI, SolusVM CP (Client) shows name of node for each VM.