Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OwnCloud, views?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OwnCloud, views?

LeeLee Veteran

I was looking at Owncloud as a more private place to store some files. Anyone tried it recently? Views on it?

Thanks

Comments

• It is good. I think a lot of people are using it. However you can also use AjaxXplorer, it is also nice

• I like it so far, almost the same as using dropbox from their web client. my only grip with it is that you can't generate public links from windows in a synced folder. Built in photo, pdf, video, and text editor make it really useful.

Mine is hosted on the Storage VPS @FlipHost posted on LEB and i was lucky enough to jump on it.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

@PcJamesy Impressive that you got one. They sold out quite fast. I hope it is working well for you?

• @Fliphost said:
    PcJamesy Impressive that you got one. They sold out quite fast. I hope it is working well for you?

only issues i had, but it was an owncloud specific issue. once i got incontact with your suppot you set me up with 64bit distro.

@W1V_Lee there are a few other issues if your not on a 64bit OS such as file usage not calculation properly but once i switched worked fine.

• LeeLee Veteran

Any particular linux distro it runs best on?

• i have one on ubuntu and one on centos, both run the same.

• NeoNeo Banned

If you want to have a free owncloud Account just ask me, Located in Germany/Australia with SSL ;D

• LeeLee Veteran

Thanks but I am looking at it for more privacy. I will have it on my own server which nobody else accesses.

• @Neo, I would like to have one.

• NeoNeo Banned

Send me PN with Location...

• Do any of you guys have experience with ownCloud and large amounts of files?

I've read a lot of criticism on ownCloud lately, especially on the sync client's inefficiency.

• I was running ownCloud on a 128mb Ram OvZ from QuickPacket. Ran great for about 5 months until one day the database was corrupted. I noticed with a large amount of files mySQL was a little overwhemled at times and needed to be restarted. Not sure if that would be an issue on a larger VPS or not. Lesson learned ... don't install it in the same database you run your website off of!

• I've got Owncloud running on a BuyVM Storage box that is running great. Very simply to set up.

I'm about to set it up on a Fliphost 250GB VM, which I anticipate will run equally as great. That Fliphost VM has been real solid so far :)

Got me a Backupsy 500GB to run incremental backups for the two aforementioned VMs with rsnapshot.

• It's a good concept, but in my case it has proven to be horribly immature and can't be considered a real Dropbox alternative.

I switched to BitTorrent Sync and use AjaXplorer as WebUI.

• @salakis said:
    It's a good concept, but in my case it has proven to be horribly immature and can't be considered a real Dropbox alternative.

I switched to BitTorrent Sync and use AjaXplorer as WebUI.

BitTorrent sync seems interesting but still a little immature. No mobile, few options.

Could you tell me why you think ownCloud is immature and why it's not a Dropbox alternative?

• @mpkossen said:
    Could you tell me why you think ownCloud is immature and why it's not a Dropbox alternative?

Well, first of all, the desktop client seems to be unreasonably slow in the local network and it always uploads the whole (changed) file instead of a delta with all the changes.

Regarding BT Sync, it does have a mobile app by now and in my setup I also can use the AjaXplorer app. It may be true that there aren't that many options, but it should be sufficient for private use. I tend to say that less is more in this case, because BT Sync simply does what it says and does it well.

• @salakis: never had any issues with conflicts, etc.?