Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Windows 10 in SolusVM KVM
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Windows 10 in SolusVM KVM

I was wondering if anyone knows if Windows 10 would work fine in SolusVM KVM?

Comments

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

With virtio drivers, yes.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 2017

Yes, grab the virtio driver ISO and install during setup and it'll work fine. I've done it a few times.

• ContraWebContraWeb Member
    edited March 2017

Works fine, make sure u change the CPU settings to:

Model: host-model

Match: default

CPU Topology: On

1 - 2 - 2

Thanked by 1racksx
  • I dunno about solus, but in proxmox kvm it works pretty fine

• Yep works fine we use is as our second RDP works fast and stable.

• oplinkoplink Member, Patron Provider

Yes, it works just fine with sols+kvm. We offer it
    https://www.oplink.net/vps.html

Its a giant pain to create the template from ISO > sysprep it to make it work proper.

• moonmartinmoonmartin Member
    edited March 2017

Getting the virtio stuff working is a bit of a pain if you are not familiar with it.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Windows_Virtio_Drivers
    You need 3, one for in the virtstor for the HD. One for the NIC (assuming you use virtio network) and the ballon driver for PCI memory. The rest is is a normal windows install.. Plus sysprep to get the OS the way you like it. Sysprep takes the most time because you have to test and build a template each time

edited March 2017

I've never had to use sysprep. As I recall, once I got the virtio drivers load on the windows side I just created a template. I do remember being able to boot windows initially without virtio. Not being able to boot is the only reason I can think of for having to use sysprep. Maybe it depends on what you are doing.

Maybe to do with licensing?

• I have no clue what creating or how the templates work but installing and running it is fine as long as you have the VirtIO drivers put in a folder in the ISO, slipstreamed, etc.

Thanked by 1definitelyliam
    edited March 2017

@ethancedrik said:
    I have no clue what creating or how the templates work but installing and running it is fine as long as you have the VirtIO drivers put in a folder in the ISO, slipstreamed, etc.

Normally everything is done with templates. At least for what I do. Installing each customer from ISO is crazy unless you have no choice. It takes one or two mouse clicks and seconds to install from template. With windows you have to deal with license keys so not sure about that part. In the past you could regedit in the license key.

For creating the template I boot/install from ISO using KVM ide driver, then install the virtio drivers

Assuming all your nodes are the same hardware. Windows 10 and 2016 dont like HW changes when making a new VM from a windows template

• jmginerjmginer Member, Patron Provider
    edited May 2017

@ContraWeb said:

1 - 2 - 2

Trying to install win10, but locked on this screen:

Any idea?

• saibalsaibal Member

It might be installing updates.

• @jmginer said:

@ContraWeb said:

1 - 2 - 2

Any idea?

My host had to enable cpu passtrough for it to install. Windows 10, or windows server 2016 is very strict on cpu restriction, and what features it needs to have.

• @oplink said:
    Assuming all your nodes are the same hardware. Windows 10 and 2016 dont like HW changes when making a new VM from a windows template

It does, you have to sysprep it with generalize option.

@dragonballz2k said:

@jmginer said:

@ContraWeb said:

1 - 2 - 2

Any idea?

My host had to enable cpu passtrough for it to install. Windows 10, or windows server 2016 is very strict on cpu restriction, and what features it needs to have.

There is absolutely no need for passthrought, they will be able to use your whole cpu.

Are you sure the ISO is good? also try 1:1:1 but it should boot out of the box

• racksxracksx Member

In order to make that work with solusvm it requires passthrought cpu else will not work believe me I tried a lot.

• dragonballz2kdragonballz2k Member
    edited May 2017

@racksx said:
    In order to make that work with solusvm it requires passthrought cpu else will not work believe me I tried a lot.

this bug report does help explain why it isn't booting https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1346153

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited May 2017

@jmginer said:

@ContraWeb said:

1 - 2 - 2

Any idea?

Why win10 :(

Downgraded all my PCs to Win8, since Cortana and f*cking Windows Defender (who keeps thinking .ovpn = virus...) don't exist/haven't been upgraded wrecked yet.

edited May 2017

Is the KVM set to IDE or VirtIO? Having it set to VirtIO without VirtIO drivers loaded in WinBloz will cause that freeze.

Did you try start in safe mode? It will probably still freeze but at least it will give you more info as to what step it's freezing on.