Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How often googlebot visits your website
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How often googlebot visits your website

zilchzilch Member
edited March 2017 in General

Do anyone monitor nginx(or *) logs for googlebot activity. How much traffic its produced, visits? Any charts? Mention your website age and total pages number.

Comments

• Looking through logs, dawgy.pw has been crawled 23 times since Feb 1

• sinsin Member

A lot, especially after a new update.

• It's different for everyone. Generally Google loves finding new content. You'll be assigned a crawl budget based on how important they think your site is and how often your pages change.

• Google Chrome is a google bot

• JasperNLJasperNL Member
    edited March 2017

Almost every day. The time varies though. I'm running an unimportant forum with about 10 replies a day and something like three new topics a week. When i google its name using the Tor browser it ends up at page 3 or 4.

Website is there since 2010, and used to be lots more active in the beginning.

• @zilch said:
    Do anyone monitor nginx(or *) logs for googlebot activity. How much traffic its produced, visits? Any charts?

My sites exist to serve content, generally ad-free, so I don't really care about tracking any "metrics". That said, it's a pretty easy search to do:

Aaaaaaand Cloudflare has decided you don't get to see my zgrep handiwork. LET really ought to shut that off. Summary is ~350 hits on an average day.

Mention your website age and total pages numebr.

I can't be bothered to look any of that up. It's combined logging for a handful of domains that I've had for over a decade with content that changes infrequently.

• @Jorbox said:
    Google Chrome is a google bot

I think that some times

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • On a popular site here at Mexico, googlebot went crazy for weeks, having like... 5000 hits per minute or so from google addresses ¬_¬

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@yomero said:
    On a popular site here at Mexico, googlebot went crazy for weeks, having like... 5000 hits per minute or so from google addresses ¬_¬

You sure it was Google addresses and not Google user agent? We've seen a botnet attacking port 80 from numerous IPs, not belonging to Google, but what was distinctive, all requests tried to mimic Google bot user agent.

• @Clouvider said:

@yomero said:
    On a popular site here at Mexico, googlebot went crazy for weeks, having like... 5000 hits per minute or so from google addresses ¬_¬

You sure it was Google addresses and not Google user agent? We've seen a botnet attacking port 80 from numerous IPs, not belonging to Google, but what was distinctive, all requests tried to mimic Google bot user agent.

Two things

My mistake, was every ten minutes. Still too high.

And yes, verified with rdns and whois (most 66.x or 68.x something like that).

And magically got fixed. The client didn't wanted to modify the configs at the webmaster tools panel because they were afraid of losing positioning.

• sinsin Member

impossiblystupid said: Aaaaaaand Cloudflare has decided you don't get to see my zgrep handiwork. LET really ought to shut that off.

Yeah that Cloudflare stuff is super annoying...there's been a lot of times where I have typed up some long post and tried to include commands to help someone out only to have Cloudflare kick me at the last second and then I don't even feel like bothering with the post anymore.

• Massive. Multiple times a day.

• DylanDylan Member

impossiblystupid said: LET really ought to shut that off.

The CloudFlare WAF is completely customizable and they could fix it by checking the firewall event log, identifying the rule that's being triggered, and modifying or disabling it. I'm not sure why they haven't done that here.

• Well on my site every week and it checks every url which I mentioned in sitemap.xml. There is frequency and I had it weekly.

Thank You!

• I know u.u

But as I said, the clients didn't wanted to touch that

• NdhaNdha Member

@vishalpatelz said:
    Well on my site every week and it checks every url which I mentioned in sitemap.xml. There is frequency and I had it weekly.

Thank You!

this..same with me..you can set it up with sitemap.xml
    for me everytime there is new post/update only..