Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH VPS IPIP6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH VPS IPIP6

ArgosaxArgosax Member

Hello,

can somebody confirm that IP tunnels with IPv4 inner and IPv6 outer encapsulation (ipip6) are possible on OVH VPS SSD?

Thanks

Comments

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited March 2017

Should be possible. Why do you think they won't be? These are KVM VPS you can install your own kernel and use any tunnel modules you want.

One thing to keep in mind though, if the DDOS protection kicks in for your IP, it most likely will drop anything it considers "weird", including uncommon tunneling like this. For instance it did drop all SIT tunnel traffic for tunnelbroker.net IPv6 tunnels for me (which I was using back when the VPS SSD did not have IPv6).

• Yes, mostly I am afraid that the DDoS protection might not like the suspicious looking traffic. I want to tunnel to a Kimsufi dedicated server in the same data center (GRA), however the VPS will be most likely in another subnet, I do not know if the DDoS protection applies in this case.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited March 2017

What's the actual task that you have, why tunnel (especially if not for encryption)?

Perhaps you want to purchase multiple IPv4 and then forward them over IPv6 to the Kimsufi. In which case you can just keep your IPv6 address away from the public, therefore hoping it won't ever get DDOSed -- and if it won't, then DDOS protection will never activate on IPv6, and so your tunnel will not get impacted.

Also yes, it is quite likely that OVH-to-OVH traffic doesn't get rerouted to DDOS filters ever -- in which case this over-filtering won't be a problem in your case.

• @rm_ said:
    What's the actual task that you have, why tunnel (especially if not for encryption)?

Perhaps you want to purchase multiple IPv4 and then forward them over IPv6 to the Kimsufi.

Exactly, I want to setup a little Kimsufi virtualization rig, utilizing the VPS for routing some IPv4 to it. Thanks for your comments, I will try this now.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

Doubt it, if anything add your IPs to each of the network firewalls if possible.