Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPN for Android TV Box
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPN for Android TV Box

I'm planning to buy an Android TV box for my old TV. What VPN software should I install to a VPS to have easier setup? I have seen some tutorials but seems the integration is from VPN service providers. I just wish to use a VPS to have something cheaper.

Comments

• cfgguycfgguy Member, Host Rep

I m using shadowsocks . Openvpn is also good.
    Do install teamviewer support app so that you can control your android box from either your laptop or smartphone.

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • For what it's worth, most Android TV set-top boxes are awful. Make sure you do research on them. If it's still on ICS, don't bite!

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @WSS said:
    For what it's worth, most Android TV set-top boxes are awful. Make sure you do research on them. If it's still on ICS, don't bite!

I am looking at the one from Xiaomi. Seems a reputable company and still cheap

• @cfgguy said:
    I m using shadowsocks . Openvpn is also good.
    Do install teamviewer support app so that you can control your android box from either your laptop or smartphone.

integration is simple right?

• @jcaleb said:

@WSS said:
    For what it's worth, most Android TV set-top boxes are awful. Make sure you do research on them. If it's still on ICS, don't bite!

That doesn't look bad. Most of the units I've found are basically stock tablet designs with half the RAM. Of course, NAND isn't really designed for streaming, and neither is the quad core 6502A processor they seem to run on..

• cfgguycfgguy Member, Host Rep

jcaleb said: integration is simple right?

Yes, its very easy! There is one more app called cheapcast its not there in google app store . Install it and it runs behind as service and your android box will run as chromecast receiver. Good stuff.

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • That doesn't look bad. Most of the units I've found are basically stock tablet designs with half the RAM. Of course, NAND isn't really designed for streaming, and neither is the quad core 6502A processor they seem to run on..

My use case is not very demanding. I just need to play some educational videos from flash drive or youtube for my 2yo son. And maybe watch some Hulu too.

• @jcaleb said:

That doesn't look bad. Most of the units I've found are basically stock tablet designs with half the RAM. Of course, NAND isn't really designed for streaming, and neither is the quad core 6502A processor they seem to run on..

My use case is not very demanding. I just need to play some educational videos from flash drive or youtube for my 2yo son. And maybe watch some Hulu too.

As long as they're MPEG encoded, you should be fine. If you've got some OGG/h90210 in a WMV container, you might not have much fun. Either way, this one looks like it has decent hardware. Good luck!

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • nfnnfn Veteran

A simple solution would be PIVPN with OpenVPN for Android.

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • buy nowtvbox it's cheaper :)

• I have the Xiaomi Mibox 3, got it for $70 at Walmart. Decent box, I use it for Netflix/Hulu/Kodi/Plex. I'm happy with it.
    Why do you need a VPN for this? There isn't really room to store torrents (only 8 GB flash memory on the unit), so if you download onto another pc you can use Kodi/Plex to stream your content, no VPN needed.

Thanked by 2jcaleb Dwayne
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited February 2017

@jcaleb said:

@WSS said:

Do this. I bought the Mi Box. Zero regrets. I have unusually high standards for a device of that type too. They almost all piss me off.

Thanked by 2jcaleb netomx
  • Many of my Plex users have been using "M9C Pro" boxes. They report good success and no issues.

@Damian said:
    Many of my Plex users have been using "M9C Pro" boxes. They report good success and no issues.

Looks similar to the ABOX that I ordered on Amazon. Regretted it horribly. Specs read decent but it was so horribly slow it was like using an old iPhone 4 connected to my TV :(

May not be the same though.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

jcaleb said: most Android TV set-top boxes are awful

Not true, as some of them are very good specs, of course if you are looking for $7 box, you are just wasting your money. To get decent android TV box, minimum specs need to be at least quad core, 2 GB of RAM (more is better), 8/16GB of internal memory and the rest should be as standard phone, example: wifi, bluetooth and etc.
    I personally do use for games the android TV box and it's awesome, as it has the following specs: octa-core processor, 4GB of RAM and 16GB of internal memory

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • Instead of tv box, I would suggest to search for a satellite set top box (there are cheap clones of Dreambox or Openbox) loaded with Enigma2. It combines the benefits of a satellite and dvb-t receiver with a linux OS and with full capabilities of a home media center, browser, plugins and controlled not only by remote directly to the television but also remotely via gui/cli from your computer.

Thanked by 1jar
  • I went on stacksocial and took out a lifetime sub to purevpn a couple of years ago. Very happy with it.

• I just bought the best option for kodi and Exodus all rolled in one. I bought 2 tiny T95Z PLUS with 2 gigs ram and quad core cpu. 4.0 bluetooth, 4k, android 6.0, wifi and bla bla bla more.

I just hooked it up for one of my tiny brained sisters and it's beyond awesome. To finish off the awesomeness I got her a 2.4 ghz mini backlit keyboard. Matter of fact, I got 3 of those backlit mini keyboards. 1 for myself.

This combination worked flawlessly out of the box.

As for that vpn option, plenty of room to install on this device since it comes with a micro sd port and 2 usb and internal memory.

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • When it comes to android boxes I went through too many before I was happy, I have this one, https://www.amazon.co.uk/X96-Android-Marshmallow-Smart-S905X/dp/B01JH7DXL4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1488313974&sr=8-2&keywords=x96+android+tv+box

runs great.

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • Me again, if you want to install an android app for vpn just go to the play store and see what they have. A free one is openvpn connect for android.

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • Ah come on fella. Ya I know, I should shut up but you need to know this. If you get any device for Kodi you must not get a 4.4.2 android loaded device cause you may not be able to update to 5.1 which is what Kodi 17 needs to install on. You can do an update if you root and do all that other bs to make it work, but come one, just get marshmellow 6.0 and be the latest android user on the forum.

Ya know, if you have 4.4.2 and your licking your lips on getting that Kodi 17 on that device, it's not happenin. You will go to play store for Kodi and find your device is not supported and then you will panic and start wasting hours on the internet going crazy cause you just got a have that Kodi 17.

Than you go ahhhh at last, I found a download for Kodi 17 and here it comes. You got it on your 4.4.2 device and your clapping your hands and laughing like a mad man till you install the package.

Oh the horror as the file install package pops a dialogue box package can't be parsed. Don't bother wasting time looking for the answer cause the answer is you got android 4.4.2 and MUST have 5.1 or higher.

The moral of this tale is simply this, DON'T WASTE TIME AND MONEY ON ANYTHING LESS THAN 5.1 OR BETTER YET, 6.0. Alright, I'll stop infuriating your brains and go away now.

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • jcalebjcaleb Member
    edited March 2017

jarland said: Do this. I bought the Mi Box. Zero regrets. I have unusually high standards for a device of that type too. They almost all piss me off.

Thank you. Kodi runs ok right no problems?

thagoat said: Why do you need a VPN for this? There isn't really room to store torrents (only 8 GB flash memory on the unit), so if you download onto another pc you can use Kodi/Plex to stream your content, no VPN needed.

I am actually newbie with technology, I mean I am very late tinkering with gadget technology. I just though watching streaming needs US ip address

jvnadr said: Instead of tv box, I would suggest to search for a satellite set top box (there are cheap clones of Dreambox or Openbox) loaded with Enigma2. It combines the benefits of a satellite and dvb-t receiver with a linux OS and with full capabilities of a home media center, browser, plugins and controlled not only by remote directly to the television but also remotely via gui/cli from your computer.

It's hard to find these things in my country. Also I'm on a limited budget. Most of these stuff you enjoy in the US becomes 30-50% more expensive here.

leona said: Ah come on fella. Ya I know, I should shut up but you need to know this. If you get any device for Kodi you must not get a 4.4.2 android loaded device cause you may not be able to update to 5.1 which is what Kodi 17 needs to install on. You can do an update if you root and do all that other bs to make it work, but come one, just get marshmellow 6.0 and be the latest android user on the forum.

very good advices, thank you so much, appreciate it

• saf31saf31 Member
    edited March 2017

offtopic: running remixos in one of my 10 years old spare core2duo machine and so far it looks amazing. http://www.jide.com/remixos. Previously I used to run http://www.android-x86.org/ . If you have a spare laptop you can give them a try.

Thanked by 1jcaleb

jcaleb said: Thank you. Kodi runs ok right no problems?

I don't use it but I imagine it would, considering how well everything else runs. I use emby.

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • jcaleb said: Thank you. Kodi runs ok right no problems?

Seconding the vote of confidence on the Mi Box. Running the SPMC Kodi fork fine with no issues, though I'm just using it with media from a NAS, not any of the popular plugins.

Because it's an "official" Android TV box, it also works out of the box as a Chromecast receiver.

That said, I'm not sure if all of the Mi Boxes are that way, or just the one they released for the American market -- since there were multiple Mi Boxes outside of the US.

Thanked by 1jcaleb

ihatetonyy said: it also works out of the box as a Chromecast receiver

Oh yeah, I love this as well. Actually works like a legit Chromecast, not like a shitty workaround trying to function as one and failing from half of my devices like every homemade setup I've tried.

Thanked by 2jcaleb netomx
  • jcaleb said: It's hard to find these things in my country. Also I'm on a limited budget. Most of these stuff you enjoy in the US becomes 30-50% more expensive here.

Hehe, I am not living in the US, the opposite! I live in Greece (where salaries are by far lower than the US or major EU countries). Most of dreambox clones have prices similar to a good a android box (70-100$) and, at least for us, there are no shipping and handling costs.
    While the cpu and memory are weaker, the OS of those boxes (debian clone) is designed especially for this kind of hardware and the assistance of onboard hardware video and audio decoders is giving the box incredible speed for the job.
    Of course, simple browsing is slower than the one from the android box, but using kodi, iptv, playing streams or videos from HDD or usb stick is superior.

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • Thank you so much guys for all the inputs