Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best non-Ramnode provider for mission-critical stuff?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best non-Ramnode provider for mission-critical stuff?

I'm a huge fan of Ramnode and host all of my mission-critical stuff with them. Absolutely no complaints, and while they're getting expensive compared to similar offerings, I feel as though the quality is there.

However, I want to setup a DNS failover in the case that my Ramnode server becomes unavailable, and therefore would prefer to go with a different provider in a different datacenter.

I haven't really kept up with providers lately so what would you guys recommend?

Comments

• Using DNS Failover (like I also do) it's not so important how good your second host is. This is just backup if your main server(s) fail for some time.

So more important, what specs do you need, where do you want it located, and do you have a price range?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

BuyVM, Digital Ocean, Linode, Vultr...

I do mission critical on DO/Linode/Vultr. Ramnode/BuyVM is more dev/play/personal for me.

Thanked by 2Francisco Mathias
  • Second DO/Vultr. Easy way to spin up servers in whatever location you need.

• doughmanesdoughmanes Member
    edited February 2017

I have a cPanel DNS Only cluster (LA/DAL/WDC) through HostUS's 768mb offers. I'm coming up on the yearly renewal and I'm going to happily renew.

Thanked by 1AlexanderM
  • Azure, AWS, Digital Ocean.

• @raindog308 said:
    I do mission critical on DO/Linode/Vultr. Ramnode/BuyVM is more dev/play/personal for me.

I'm not really sure DO/Linode/Vultr is necessarily any better for mission critical stuff.

Indeed BuyVM is sort of a DDoS magnet but Linode has been hit hard as well. The latter is a much much bigger provider with a more professional "About Us" page but that doesn't get your server back online any quicker.

• Some of the kewl kidz around here have moved from AWS to Rackspace.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

What location are you looking for ?

• digital ocean & vultr would be my picks

• BuyVM. Amazing pricing and great support. Can't recommend @francisco enough

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@jiggawattz said:

@raindog308 said:

I'm not really sure DO/Linode/Vultr is necessarily any better for mission critical stuff.

Indeed BuyVM is sort of a DDoS magnet but Linode has been hit hard as well. The latter is a much much bigger provider with a more professional "About Us" page but that doesn't get your server back online any quicker.

What's the issue you have with Don Dias?

Francisco

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

@Francisco Where's the nude pic? :D :D

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Radi said:
    @Francisco Where's the nude pic? :D :D

Wasn't that nude :P I'll put it on a Konami later on, got too many other things going on.

Francisco

• FredQcFredQc Member
    edited February 2017

Radi said: Where's the nude pic? :D :D

http://i.franned.it/

• sinsin Member
    edited February 2017

Leaseweb's VPSes are reliable and cheap