Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Location, Location, Location
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Location, Location, Location

BigglesBiggles Member
edited January 2012 in General

I've been looking to pickup another VPS. This time I wanted to get one in the USA. I was browsing some offers and saw one I liked that was available in either Chicago, Dallas, Los Angeles or Seattle. I don't know what datacentres these are in, but I do have test IPs of 174.34.175.98, 64.120.76.186, 174.34.141.42 and 174.34.145.178 respectively.

Any way to try and grade these?

I checked pings and I found Chicago to fastest at around 123 ms and Seattle the worst at around 180 ms, but I'm across the pond, so it's pretty subjective.

Which would you pick?

Comments

• If your in Europe and looking for a US VPS, then anywhere on the East Coast is generally best.

People watch Location,Location,Location?

• I don't know what you're going to use your VPS for but if chicago's latency is the lowest I would take that one.

• It looks like these are all Ubiquity IPs? Here's some info about their Chicago dc, which looks great: https://www.ubiquityservers.com/chicago-data-center

• @Biggles said: I've been looking to pickup another VPS. This time I wanted to get one in the USA.

Holy crap, I never expected to see Biggles posting here. You were my childhood hero. I particularly loved your WWI escapades.

Do you want this US VPS to provide good connectivity back to England, or do you want it to be well-connected throughout the US? If back-to-England, then a US east coast location is advisable (Seattle is west coast).

• Tally Ho old boy!

I'm not really fussed on connection back to the UK, a few ms doesn't make much of a difference. Obviously it's a plus, but I'm just curious as what other pros and cons there could be for any different region.

• BenBen Member

Chicago is pretty good all around for connectivity. Los Angeles can be better for Asia-pacific traffic. Dallas is pretty good too.

I'd say you'd be fine with any of those 3 cities. I'd stay clear of Seattle.