Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need VPS who won't demand CC photo
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need VPS who won't demand CC photo

ObamaObama Member
edited May 2013 in General

Ok, I'm NOT comfortable sharing front and back photos of my credit card with anyone, no matter how credible/big/established the business is. I can't imagine how such an absurdity is legally allowed in the first place, that companies can ask for sensitive information to be handed over to them in a preservable form - This is worrisome because the combination of CC Card Number, Name, Expiry and the Code allows one to make purchases.

My question is, what is the guarantee that someone in the middle will not misuse this retained information? Maybe one of the folks at Docusign, or anyone in the chain involved in verification?

That aside, are there any VPS-es who will not demand a retainable (photographic) proof of the credit card? I'm ok with all sorts of verification, but not one that retains my private information (cc code, for example) and puts me at severe risk?

Looking for 2GB/OpenVZ-SolusVM/1TB/2Core-or-4Core/40GB-space/100Mbit. No Credit Card photo demands, please!

Comments

• RobertClarkeRobertClarke Member, Host Rep

I can do the VPS, can you do Paypal as a payment method?

• ihatetonyyihatetonyy Member
    edited May 2013

I can't say I've ever been asked for CC photos .. have you tried the usual suspects (ChicagoVPS, etc.) for a 2GB VPS?

Also.. make sure they don't demand a copy of your birth certificate. </politics>

• PatrickPatrick Member

We can do this:
    http://iniz.com/specials/

Paying by PayPal requires no validation, if paying by direct CC then ID may be required only if basic checks fail.

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited May 2013

You must be raising a lot of red flags if VPS providers ask you to scan your CC. I've never been asked to scan my CC and send it to any provider.

• rds100rds100 Member

Damn, how do i edit a comment?

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

Just check our LEB offer. I can offer the following:
    2GB RAM
    512MB vSwap
    60GB Disk Space
    800GB Bandwidth
    1 IPv4 Address
    100Mbit connection
    OpenVZ/SolusVM
    $7/Month:
    $48/Year:
    http://www.lowendbox.com/blog/liquidhost-20yr-256mb-kvm-in-dallas-48yr-2gb-openvz-in-seattle-la/

As long as you pass the fraud check of Maxmind, you can proceed with paying with PayPal or CC (through PayPal's interface).

2co is disabled as payment option at the moment

• ObamaObama Member
    edited May 2013

To the ones making assumptions, ZERO FLAGS here, okay? Please, do not make assumptions out of paranoia or maxminded-ness. I have never had such issues until one recent provider who put me through a lot of hassle for nothing.

@RobertClarke - Thanks for the offer, please do put the quote in a comment. And yes, I can pay via Paypal. Also, please do note I am shamelessly broke till the 30th, and on 30th, my sorry-broke-ass will be replenished by my employer, since it's payday. What better way to celebrate than get a 2GB box going. Oh Tun/Tap supported?

@ihatetonyy: I was asked for Photos via DocuSign - wondering if I should hire a lawyer and sue, but like I said, I'm broke till the 30th.

• PatrickPatrick Member

@rds100 said:

Hover over your post and look on the top right for a little cog wheel

• rds100rds100 Member

@Obama so just skip this provider and move along :) Most providers would do MaxMind verification, but scanned CC copy seems out of the ordinary.

• sleddogsleddog Member

@rds100 said:
    Obama so just skip this provider and move along :) Most providers would do MaxMind verification, but scanned CC copy seems out of the ordinary.

Exactly. I've bought tons of VPSs and have never been asked for a scanned CC. If I was, I'd politely refuse and move on.

• He must mean Dedicated.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited May 2013

@rds100 said:

Put mouse cursor to the top right corner of your post.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited June 2013

@RobertClarke said:
    - 2GB Dedicated RAM
    - 2GB Swap RAM
    - 4TB Bandwidth on 1Gbps
    - 2 IPv4
    - 16 IPv6
    - OpenVZ
    - Dallas
    - 4 E3 CPU cores (shared)
    - 30GB RAID 10 SSD Disk
    - No credit card photo demands :)

$20 with promo code 1THNBG8W4I

https://[removed]

Should I "Flag" your message as an advertising offer which is against LEB rules ($7 limit), or you just briefly forgot that this is not WHT, or something? (And the VPS itself is not even anything of the ordinary, there are more attractive offers for $7.)

• BlueVM could do this, except we use HyperVM for our OpenVZ Control panel. We take PayPal as a payment method.

• earlearl Member

I had this with providerservice, and stylexnetworks they wanted me to send them a government issued ID, all for a $1 VPS.. I said no thanks!

Even with OVH all I had to do was send a picture ID that I had from college and the envelope of a bill with the corresponding address that I signed up with..

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

I have sent you a pm

• @rds100 said:
    Obama so just skip this provider and move along :) Most providers would do MaxMind verification, but scanned CC copy seems out of the ordinary.

Anyone who has the CC number and the cvs number at the back can use the credit card on-line, especially if you have to enter your name and billing address.

• @Obama said:
    To the ones making assumptions, ZERO FLAGS here, okay? Please, do not make assumptions out of paranoia or maxminded-ness. I have never had such issues until one recent provider who put me through a lot of hassle for nothing.

If you want to talk, my phone number is in the signature. You sound like you need somebody to talk to.

• Never asked for any scans :p, accepts Paypal and Payza so far.

• awsonawson Member

None of the hosts I've been with have asked me for credit card pics. I suppose they'll only do that if you're doing dodgy stuff.

The only companies that have asked me for this are PayPal and GoDaddy.

• Buy bitcoins locally using localbitcoins.com . Buy a VPS from hostigation.

• One host said I need verified Paypal which I had, but I wondered what they had to do with the verified bit, as with some, you can just checkout without having a paypal account (ie just do a straight purchase)

• FRCoreyFRCorey Member

Like Verified paypal means anything, you can buy dozens of paypal accounts with funds that have been hacked off the internet.

Anywho you can use your card with us. Were running a half off promo 50OFF

• GallaeahoGallaeaho Member
    edited May 2013

Asking for scanned credit cards is certainly not out of the ordinary. Since all you need under normal circumstances to perform an online transaction is the credit card number, expiration date and CVC2/CSC code, the host is simply verifying that you physically hold the card that you're going to use.

You are not obligated as the cardholder in question to provide a front & back scanned copy of your credit card. That being said, the host is not obligated to provide you any service, either.

• JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited May 2013

@Obama I highly suggest You to try http://ipxcore.com, i've been using their services for a while and i can honestly say they are affordable, stable and powerful, always with infrastructure integrity in mind. There are various payment methods to choose, so You won't have any problems regarding that matter also. Check the website or contact @Damain for more info.

• Hmmm.... I have never done an online business with any one that ask's for credit card scans and official govt. documents scans. No matter what the privacy policy says, that's a huge personal information I am leaking in the internet!

• SkylarMSkylarM Member

We don't ask for scans of your CC. We just require complete access and control of your bank account, credit card, and for you to leave us a free room in your house for the occasional personal visit (including dinner!) ;)

Kidding of course. CC scans is a weird request, not sure I'd do that. ID I can understand to an extent.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited May 2013

@NodeDeals said:
    Hmmm.... I have never done an online business with any one that ask's for credit card scans and official govt. documents scans. No matter what the privacy policy says, that's a huge personal information I am leaking in the internet!

Same here, I could fake some, no problem, but it is not worth the trouble.

Besides, the provider will only have the last 4 digits from the cc processor, therefore I can make up something that passes the cc number validator+has those last 4 digits and produce a picture with it.
    Doesnt even have to be from the same company, i.e. could do some Mastercard with a VISA, just change the first numbers.
    As I said, though, it is not worth the trouble, but everything can be forged, therefore, a criminal will have no problem with this, if they really want it, only regular customers will be annoyed enough to look somewhere else.
    From what I know, most banks forbid this kind of sharing your card, if you lose it, they ask you to immediately declare it as stolen to be replaced.

• @SkylarM said:
    Kidding of course. CC scans is a weird request, not sure I'd do that. ID I can understand to an extent.

Some have to do it for compliance with credit card processors if a dispute was ever brought up

• azzavpsazzavps Member

sounds odd, i think most of the providers here can do paypal without the need for anything like that.