Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

When to choose copper / fiber
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

When to choose copper / fiber

ScammerProutScammerProut Member
edited February 2017 in Help

Both support 1g and 10g uplinks when do you choose fiber over copper besides length that is.

Comments

• Copper for saucepans, fiber for pants.

Thanked by 1scttmthsn
  • Copper for police, fiber for hiding from police.

Thanked by 1dedicados
  • @KeKe said:
    Both support 1g and 10g uplinks when do you choose fiber over copper besides length that is.

I think this question may lack some vital context.

• @GZS said:

@KeKe said:

No, it's perfect as it is. We need some LowEndHousekeeping talk, damn it!

• AshleyUkAshleyUk Member
    edited February 2017

Fibre : No crosstalk, lower latency when running @ 10Gb, thinner physical size than bulky CAT7 cable, lower power requirements

Copper : CAT7 may be cheaper than fibre, can easily be shortened / re-terminated

Thanked by 1ScammerProut
  • @Yura said:

@GZS said:

@KeKe said:

If you leave milk out too long, it turns into yogurt. If you leave that out too long, it turns to cheese. If you leave that out too long, it'll help cure that rash on your peespots. If you leave it out longer than that, it becomes sentient and will destroy the planet.

Thanked by 1Yura
  • Personally, I went with Stainless steel because it looks so much better than the brushed nickel.

Thanked by 1datanoise
  • @WSS said:
    Personally, I went with Stainless steel because it looks so much better than the brushed nickel.

We need more nickel stuff in our lifes.

• @WSS said:

@Yura said:

@GZS said:

@KeKe said:

If you leave milk out too long, it turns into yogurt. If you leave that out too long, it turns to cheese. If you leave that out too long, it'll help cure that rash on your peespots. If you leave it out longer than that, it becomes sentient and will destroy the planet.

Thanks, patootie. Here are some of mine for stains:

• To get bloodstains out of a fur coat, use cornmead and brush the coat the wrong way.
    • For bloodstains on a piano, polish the keys with talcum powder or powdered milk.
    • Blood on the wallpaper is removed easiest by using cornstarch and cold water. This will also help to get blood out of a mattress or davenport.
    • Always keep a red cloth handy to wipe up blood.
    • To get tearstains out of pillow, dissolve five aspirin in water and dab the pillow till they stains are gone. This will even help if you havemascara stains.

XO

Thanked by 1WSS
  • It's mostly an environmental and distance choice, from a technical perspective.

• @Microlinux said:
    It's mostly an environmental and distance choice, from a technical perspective.

500 ft? Fiber or copper? 3x10Gb uplinks

• @serverian said:

@WSS said:
    Personally, I went with Stainless steel because it looks so much better than the brushed nickel.

We need more nickel stuff in our lifes.

The only problem with Nickel is that only LET providers will ever see one, because everyone else is too busy pinching pennies.

• @WSS said:

Don't chase after looks, SS heats up fast but doesn't have high thermal capacity. Ever noticed that food gets burned on the underside but not well cooked otherwise? That is often the case with SS. Nothing bests copper for pans but it's rather expensive nowadays. Cast iron is second best but heavy as fuck and needs regular maintainance. It's easy, though, just wash it after usage, rub in mineral oil and heat up for 5-10 mins. It will be serve you for many years and much better than SS.

• @Yura said:

@WSS said:

Don't chase after looks, SS heats up fast but doesn't have high thermal capacity. Ever noticed that food gets burned on the underside but not well cooked otherwise? That is often the case with SS. Nothing bests copper for pans but it's rather expensive nowadays. Cast iron is second best but heavy as fuck and needs regular maintainance. It's easy, though, just wash it after usage, rub in mineral oil and heat up for 5-10 mins. It will be serve you for many years and much better than SS.

Copper needs a ton of maintenance, too.

• @serverian said:

@Yura said:

@WSS said:

Copper needs a ton of maintenance, too.

Fair point. When you have a classy lady you don't pinch pennies. Maybe a penis but not pennies.

• I don't use copper POTS anymore- hell, I don't even have a land line.

• @KeKe said:
    500 ft? Fiber or copper? 3x10Gb uplinks

Fiber, copper wouldn't work at that distance.

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • @WSS said:
    I don't use copper POTS anymore- hell, I don't even have a land line.

Oh, you uppity BRI people!

Thanked by 1WSS
  • @Microlinux said:

@WSS said:

Oh, you uppity BRI people!

One might say I've Ascended.

Thanked by 1Microlinux
  • WSS said: Ascended

I still have nightmares about the CLI on that gear . . .

• @Microlinux said:

WSS said: Ascended

The vt100 "GUI" wasn't a hell of a lot better.

Goddamn- we're old.

• @WSS said:

@Microlinux said:

WSS said: Ascended

The vt100 "GUI" wasn't a hell of a lot better.

Goddamn- we're old.

The worst part is we've still got one in production, thank the gods I haven't had to really touch it, save for swapping cards, for the better part of decade!

• @Microlinux said:
    The worst part is we've still got one in production, thank the gods I haven't had to really touch it, save for swapping cards, for the better part of decade!

Holy SHIT. That sucker's a warrior. I'd ask how you get parts, but Portmasters.com still exists, so..

• WSS said: Holy SHIT. That sucker's a warrior. I'd ask how you get parts, but Portmasters.com still exists, so..

Things been running since probably 2000 . . . we still have a pretty large stock of parts left over from the "glory days".

• Something tells me that it knows we have spoken of it, and you're going to go red tomorrow.

• Copper for more than 1G is practically non existent in the D/carrier market - the range is limited, too limited for medium-large DCs.

Gbit depends - to your rack from ISP likely copper by ease of connection and ending up on a L2 device/trunk, from a carrier/meet-me likely fiber as you end up on a L3 device/router and it offers the 10G upgrade path easier.

• @AshleyUk said:
    Fibre : No crosstalk, lower latency when running @ 10Gb, thinner physical size than bulky CAT7 cable, lower power requirements

Copper : CAT7 may be cheaper than fibre, can easily be shortened / re-terminated

not "may be cheaper," it IS cheaper than fibre :P

• @WSS said:

Copper is poisonous just so you know, should not get in contact with food or water. :D

For the OP, go with fiber, may be initially little bit more expensive but it's a investment in the future.

• @Vita said:

@WSS said:

Copper is poisonous just so you know, should not get in contact with food or water. :D

For the OP, go with fiber, may be initially little bit more expensive but it's a investment in the future.

Copper poisoning is NOT nice

Thanked by 1doghouch
  • @Vita said:

@WSS said:

FAKE NEWS!

Copper is perfectly suited for cookware due to unparalleled heat distribution and highest thermal conductivity in non-noble metals. That's why best air coolers are made from copper. Copper can be toxic when in contact with acidic foods only. For such cases lining copper with tin, SS, nickel or silver is strictly necessary. Kickass stuff.

I'm sick and tired of all these fakenews networks like CNN, MSNBC and FOX spreading copperphobic propaganda for their own aluminum (sic!) agenda. I have shocking news for victims of their evil programming: unlined copper can be completely safe and even preferable for cooking meringue, jellies and jams! Sweet delicious fruit sugar providers a nice buffer for fruit acids and nothing bad will happen to you.

Eat, Chew, Love <3

Thanked by 3klikli WSS doghouch