Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

Oob
New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

Oob

What is a basic device that I can use to setup a private / oob. Would I need a vpn/router or would a basic 3850 Cisco switch work? This is for idrac/ilo purposes.

I don't buy or sell any products on LET so don't ask me because the answer is NO.

Comments

  • WilliamWilliam Member, Provider

    a separated uplink, in our case DSL.

  • @William said:
    a separated uplink, in our case DSL.

    So in other words another provider let's say aside from level3 and NTT someone not on the actual bandwidth? In my case level3 and NTT are my providers so I'd need to basically get another correct?

    I don't buy or sell any products on LET so don't ask me because the answer is NO.

  • If this is for iDrac, are you sure you need a an independent uplink for it? If Level3/NTT fail you, is there going to be anything you can do to rememdy the situation via iDrac?

    Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • @kcaj said:
    If this is for iDrac, are you sure you need a an independent uplink for it? If Level3/NTT fail you, is there going to be anything you can do to rememdy the situation via IDrac?

    Its for more than idrac private vlan in general creating a private oob network the question is how.

    I don't buy or sell any products on LET so don't ask me because the answer is NO.

  • WilliamWilliam Member, Provider

    KeKe said: So in other words another provider let's say aside from level3 and NTT someone not on the actual bandwidth? In my case level3 and NTT are my providers so I'd need to basically get another correct?

    Yes, this would be "full" OOB also working in case of DDoS, what you want depends on need and what you can get on DC. Dedicated/Separated port to eg. NTT with some IPs might be sufficient for you.

    Fiber/Ethernet cross connects are the norm so a small port with a /28 or so might be easiest. ADSL is rare, some US DCs have cable and some DCs have 3G/4G coverage (but most do not allow usage, check terms).

    Thanked by 1ScammerProut
  • So I run a lot of colos (100 Cabinets) these days with a lot of equipment. I usually have 2-4 Carriers (Tier1 or Tier2) that I build a BGP mix with. And for OOB I generally negotiate into the contract to get a 1-10Mbit link on the DCs bw. In most cases they agree, except Equinix. They charge you $200-400 just for a 10Mbit link...

    Thanked by 1ScammerProut
  • @Amfy said:
    So I run a lot of colos (100 Cabinets) these days with a lot of equipment. I usually have 2-4 Carriers (Tier1 or Tier2) that I build a BGP mix with. And for OOB I generally negotiate into the contract to get a 1-10Mbit link on the DCs bw. In most cases they agree, except Equinix. They charge you $200-400 just for a 10Mbit link...

    Sounds like what I'll be doing just getting DC bw.

    I don't buy or sell any products on LET so don't ask me because the answer is NO.

  • KeKe said: Sounds like what I'll be doing just getting DC bw.

    At some point it's also more likely that the DC fails on power than YOUR and THEIR bw goes down at the same time.

    Yes, you can get some ADSL or 3G backup, but at least in my scenarios it was easier and more reliable to rely on the DCs bw.

    Thanked by 1ScammerProut
Sign In or Register to comment.