Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Forward a port to an external ip
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Forward a port to an external ip

Hey guys

I have a VPS in hong kong with shitty peering to France where my backend server is based (read: 2000+ ms ping). I also have a digitalocean vps in germany with good peering (200ms).

I'd like to somehow use that as a proxy, preferably with as little as possible extra software running on the DO box.

So my question is: Is it possible to have iptables do this for me?

Basically I want my DO vps (ip 1.1.1.1) to proxy traffic from my HK vps (2.2.2.2) to my backend server (3.3.3.3) running mysql on a non-default port (port 1234).

I've tried a bunch of stuff, which I will not list here due to the possibility I tried it incorrectly.

Comments

• akbakb Member
    edited February 2017

Have you tried something like:

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
    iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -s 2.2.2.2 -d 1.1.1.1 -i eth0 -p tcp --dport 4321 -j DNAT --to-destination 3.3.3.3:1234
    iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -j SNAT --to-source 1.1.1.1

Will forward TCP data coming from 2.2.2.2 on port 4321 of your DO VPS (1.1.1.1) to port 1234 of your backend (3.3.3.3).

Thanked by 1teamacc
  • akbakb Member
    edited February 2017

Even this should work as droplets are KVM:

iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -s 2.2.2.2 -d 1.1.1.1 -p tcp --dport 4321 -j DNAT --to-destination 3.3.3.3:1234
    iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -j MASQUERADE

Thanked by 1teamacc
  • @akb said:
    Even this should work as droplets are KVM:

iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -s 2.2.2.2 -d 1.1.1.1 -p tcp --dport 4321 -j DNAT --to-destination 3.3.3.3:1234
    iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -j MASQUERADE

This works indeed. I think I forgot to disable the firewall of the DO server earlier.

Any idea how to make ufw play nicely alongside this?