Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How has the market changed for low end providers?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How has the market changed for low end providers?

XeiXei Member
edited February 2017 in General

I don't check in too often but how has the landscape changed for low end providers? With Vultr, DO, Scaleway, Leaseweb, Amazon, Linode etc offering cheap VPS's on robust networks and hardware what's the impact been on LET providers?

Edit: I should add the only low end provider I have left is RamNode. I have plenty with the aforementioned and have had superior experiences overall. There was a time I was heavily involved on LET and supporting many of the providers but that time passed once larger providers were able to offer low end pricing.

Comments

• With LEB providers, you're treated generally much better sometimes with better response time than just being another number with a larger provider.

Thanked by 2PioHost ucxo
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Xei said: how has the landscape changed for low end providers? With Vultr, DO, Scaleway, Leaseweb, Amazon, Linode etc offering cheap VPS's on robust networks and hardware what's the impact been on LET providers?

Last month we didn't grow year on year, took the decision to retire quite a few products and 2 locations which never been great, but it has nothing to do with those companies, we just had too many products and too different servers, some are coming to EOL.
    On the other hand, this will allow us more space to grow the other, main products, because the problem here is that we do not wish to grow too large and only keep current personnel, at least for a while. Small is beautiful, no matter what others say :P

• Xei said: With Vultr, DO, Scaleway, Leaseweb, Amazon, Linode etc offering cheap VPS's on robust networks and hardware what's the impact been on LET providers?

As a LEB user, Scaleway is the only one of those that I find significant, because of the hourly compute power it makes available, though on slow cores. OVH is the main big provider with directly competitive monthly VPS.

The big EU dedi hosts are ahead of the LEB dedi hosts though. It's hard to match their scale economies for massive amounts of hardware. For VPS at small scale, I prefer the personal approach of LEB hosts.