Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheapest operational RDP as Workspace
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cheapest operational RDP as Workspace

Hello,
I am looking to centralize all my work on a cheap (Linux) RDP vps as I have too many devices that I use and while file syncing is no problem thanks to Google Drive it is always a hassle as the internet browsers bookmarks, the desktop and some other things are always different. Thus I am looking for a cheap solution to this :P If you have other ideas let me know too!

Currently looking at time4vps cheapest plan with CentOS RDP at ~1,24€ month

Comments

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

RDP is usually latency-sensitive since it's interactive...are you looking in Eastern Europe?

• @raindog308 said:
    RDP is usually latency-sensitive since it's interactive...are you looking in Eastern Europe?

As close to Germany as possible :)
    VNC is also fine I guess^^

• @raindog308 said:

Quite out-of-topic but what is the best alternate for RDP for pings > 200ms?

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@Sady said:

@raindog308 said:

Quite out-of-topic but what is the best alternate for RDP for pings > 200ms?

rdp

Thanked by 3yomero Clouvider marrco
  • doughmanesdoughmanes Member
    edited February 2017

2GB RAM works great for me as a RDP.

IceWM, chromium and xrdp is what I setup on Debian.

• hawchawc Moderator, LIR

RDP works very well over high latencies ive found. 160ms to Psychz LA still feels like its RDP to something in OVH Gravelines.

• Although I generally use VNC for remote desktop, Spice is a lot more responsive and less glitchy when you have the bandwdith for it.

• I also use VNC rn :) I will most likely go with Aruba 1€/mo Ubuntu Virtual Desktop :P

• arubacloud has Ubuntu desktop and vnc everything is ready you only need to pay 1euro and the vnc is done

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited February 2017

For me the solution was to just connect to my server at home. That's where I run my desktop apps and work there from all other devices via VNC (either from LAN, or remotely over VPN). Locally those only run a browser for YouTube playback, since you don't want to be watching video over VNC.

As for in general, I wonder how can you trust a VPS (not to mention the cheapest one) with all your browser saved logins and passwords. Even on a dedi that's rather concerning, as host can reboot it into rescue mode and access/copy the disk. On a VPS they can do that even without you knowing.

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

I RDP into a machine in France from NZ 260ms ping. make sure to forward the UDP ports!

Thanked by 1simonindia
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited February 2017

rm_ said: For me the solution was to just connect to my server at home.

This!

I used RDP to a VM on a server I coloed in Voxility, still, that seemed too dangerous, so, i rather keep it at home. RDP works over 3g pretty well if you are operating with text and pretty static images, but if you start to do something more intensive, a lot of tearing appears no matter the other end. I also need something with 4 GB+ as my browsers eat some 1.7-2 GB each pretty often.
    My home connection with Tor capped at 100 Mbps:

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

@Maounique said:

rm_ said: For me the solution was to just connect to my server at home.

This!

I used RDP to a VM on a server I coloed in Voxility, still, that seemed too dangerous, so, i rather keep it at home. RDP works over 3g pretty well if you are operating with text and pretty static images, but if you start to do something more intensive, a lot of tearing appears no matter the other end. I also need something with 4 GB+ as my browsers eat some 1.7-2 GB each pretty often.
    My home connection with Tor capped at 100 Mbps:

I need to move house, just so I can post pics of me having 1000/500 to akl

• @rm_ said:
    For me the solution was to just connect to my server at home. That's where I run my desktop apps and work there from all other devices via VNC (either from LAN, or remotely over VPN). Locally those only run a browser for YouTube playback, since you don't want to be watching video over VNC.

As for in general, I wonder how can you trust a VPS (not to mention the cheapest one) with all your browser saved logins and passwords. Even on a dedi that's rather concerning, as host can reboot it into rescue mode and access/copy the disk. On a VPS they can do that even without you knowing.

I was not planning for anything crucial to be used there ;) Just some links/tables/forums etc. but yeah you are right. Maybe I will usr a homeserver^°