Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vultr - Launch Firewall feature
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Vultr - Launch Firewall feature

Just noticed this announcement on Vultr.

We've listened to the needs of our customers and designed a robust firewall that is versatile, secure, and easy to use. Vultr Firewall Service is a free add-on security solution that can be deployed worldwide using the customer portal and our API.

Running a secure cloud environment is vitally important in today’s world. Vultr Firewall Service adds flexibility and simplifies firewall management across all of your instances by allowing you to manage multiple groups and multiple rulesets from one location. Using our API or the customer portal, you can control traffic for common IP protocols such as TCP, UDP, ICMP, and GRE. Rulesets created in Vultr Firewall Service can be applied to any number of your Vultr instances, allowing for fine-grained control over your resources. As you've come to expect we've also future-proofed this new feature with native IPv6 support from the get-go!

Ready to boost your application security in just seconds? Read more about Vultr Firewall on the Docs portal.

Comments

• It's not that great when you're trying to follow on OVH's coattails.. I keed, I keed.

• adxnadxn Member, Host Rep
    Thanked by 2deadbeef yomero
  • Aside from potential ease of use, are there any advantages to using this over iptables?

• @AdamM said:
    Aside from potential ease of use, are there any advantages to using this over iptables?

I assume that it's still going to use YOUR resources, so I can't think of anything specific- I was wondering the same thing.

• @adxn said:
    Haltdos

What is their pricing?

• AdamMAdamM Member
    edited February 2017

@deadbeef, I get the impression that their firewall service is no extra charge to the cost of the VPS.

WSS said: I assume that it's still going to use YOUR resources, so I can't think of anything specific- I was wondering the same thing.

Vultr has this to say on their site : 'Packet filtering takes place at a higher level on the network, reducing resource usage of your server.' So it looks like the resource usage is not on your resource but on theirs... interesting.

Thanked by 2deadbeef sin
  • Well, if it's free- then by all means use it. #NotMyProcessor

Thanked by 1Hybrid
  • adxnadxn Member, Host Rep

@deadbeef said:

@adxn said:
    Haltdos

What is their pricing?

Free till beta ends and I am not sure about their after beta pricing but I am testing them since last few weeks and it works pretty well.

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • AdamM said: Vultr has this to say on their site : 'Packet filtering takes place at a higher level on the network, reducing resource usage of your server.' So it looks like the resource usage is not on your resource but on theirs... interesting.

Yeah that's how it works at other providers that have their own firewall...it's just like a little extra protection on top of your OS firewall.

• I mean, I'm sold ... based on the idea that I can have multiple configurations and apply to a range of new VPS on deployment. Thats pretty sick!. No more IPTABLES bullshit.