Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ramnode Atlanta power issue
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Ramnode Atlanta power issue

It looks like today there was a power outage at their Atlanta location. My VPS got rebooted and according to http://status.ramnode.com/ various Atlanta servers got affected.

Is there going to be a credit compensation for this outage?

Comments

• Have you tried emailing sales to ask?

Thanked by 1gestiondbi
  • I know I'm certainly going to ask for credit on my $0.04/day VPS.

/s

Also, what @doughmanes said.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • Lol.... Someone give the man 4 cents.....

Thanked by 2doughmanes imok
  • jiggawattjiggawatt Member
    edited February 2017

How many millions of Zimbabwe dollars did you lose

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited February 2017

According to a thread on WHT, it was only 9 minutes of downtime and was due to CyberWurx losing power. (If I remember correctly they use CW)

Thanked by 2doughmanes WSS
  • NodePingNodePing Member
    edited February 2017

Power's back up and servers are online but ipv6 routing is still down. Going on almost an hour now.

I only mention it because it's very unlike RamNode to have such issues.

• @gapper said:

Check your contract for your SLA terms, but you'll probably find more compensation in the cushions of your couch.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • gisadikgisadik Banned, Member

@Microlinux said:

@gapper said:

Check your contract for your SLA terms, but you'll probably find more compensation in the cushions of your couch.

People wanting compensation on $4 VPS don't own couches.

• Some people are just ...

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited February 2017

@MikeA said:
    According to a thread on WHT, it was only 9 minutes of downtime and was due to CyberWurx losing power. (If I remember correctly they use CW)

It took considerably longer for certain nodes. Apparently the power outage wrecked some of the hardware.

(To be clear, not blaming RamNode for this. Sounds like a case of "shit happens".)

Thanked by 2MikeA Maounique
  • joepie91 said: It took considerably longer for certain nodes. Apparently the power outage wrecked some of the hardware.

Ouch that is never good :(

• joepie91 said: Apparently the power outage wrecked some of the hardware.

Yikes. I didn't even notice the outage til seeing this thread and logging into my VPS's. I have them in multiple Ramnode sites so can deal with this, but I wonder if so-called HA VPS (like OVH's) put their machines on separate power circuits.

edited February 2017

willie said: I have them in multiple Ramnode sites so can deal with this, but I wonder if so-called HA VPS (like OVH's) put their machines on separate power circuits.

I'm not sure what RamNode's setup is like, but from what I understand, backup power failed after some on-site maintenance took out the main feed. Not sure if it's just generators or whether there's an actual redundant feed.

Of course, don't take any of this for truth. I'm just relaying bits of info according to my interpretations :) I suspect they'll send out an RFO anyway.

• gisadikgisadik Banned, Member

Most of their pictures on twitter show single PSUs on their servers, and no visible ats in racks;

and single PDUs in the rack, so I doubt there is a 2N power setup. There is no mention of 2N power on their site for all I can see, so nobody should assume there is 2N power configured (diverse UPS, PDUS, Generators). Probably just single UPS backed VPS.

@gisadik said:
    Most of their pictures on twitter show single PSUs on their servers, and no visible ats in racks;

and single PDUs in the rack, so I doubt there is a 2N power setup. There is no mention of 2N power on their site for all I can see, so nobody should assume there is 2N power configured (diverse UPS, PDUS, Generators). Probably just single UPS backed VPS.

That's a picture of their NL location, though.

• doughmanesdoughmanes Member
    edited February 2017

Shit happens in Atlanta sometimes. Last major outage I can think of was some years ago during the "major blizzard of ___" and when some backup generators got fired up, some squirrels made a home in there causing some more problems.

• @doughmanes said:
    Shit happens in Atlanta sometimes. Last major outage I can think of was some years ago during the "major blizzard of ___" and when some backup generators got fired up, some squirrels made a home in there causing some more problems.

That seems odd, since everyone should check their backup hardware weekly (monthly is too long). My guess is they didn't have enough gas left since sales left the cap off and used it as aromatherapy in their cubefarm.

Thanked by 2Clouvider Maounique
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

doughmanes said: "major blizzard of ___"

Uncle told me a story from the nineties when he was hosting in NY area and there was some flood, so the guy managing the servers talked to him while paddling on the dinghy boat...
    Things changed a lot since, still shit will always happen for a reason or another.

Thanked by 1notFrecyboy
  • We have equipment in CyberWurx too in Atlanta and it seemed to effect the whole DC. But was only brief.

• WSS said:

That seems odd, since everyone should check their backup hardware weekly (monthly is too long).

Not so sure: http://hardware.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=2546384&cid=38183158