Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for Hawaii VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for Hawaii VPS

Hi!

I'm looking for a VPS that is located in Hawaii and has direct routing to Australia. I've already found out about https://cloudsigma.com who are as far as I know located at DRFortress's data center. However it seems that traffic from Australia to DRFortress is first hauled to mainland US and then to Hawaii which results in additional latency.

The reason I'd like to have a VPS in Hawaii is to provide somewhat equal latency for players in AU and US communities of an old FPS game. Other islands like Tonga, American Samoa and Fiji in the middle of the pacific ocean would probably work as well but I doubt that there are any data centers located there.

Regards,
mli

Comments

• Not going to have much options I think www.datacentermap.com/usa/hawaii/

Thanked by 1mli
  • oneilonlineoneilonline Member, Host Rep

I thought all traffic is routed to California from Hawaii before going elsewhere?

I know Guam is peered to Hong Kong and California only.

"Other islands like Tonga, American Samoa and Fiji in the middle of the pacific ocean"
    For those locations also check New Zealand.

Thanked by 1mli
  • WilliamWilliam Member
    edited February 2017

oneilonline said: I thought all traffic is routed to California from Hawaii before going elsewhere?

Bingo.

There are some Asia bound routes but like 98% patch through to mainland and do not end in HI. The left 2% capacity is local internet, some DCs and the gov.

oneilonline said: Other islands like Tonga, American Samoa and Fiji in the middle of the pacific ocean

Some countries there still only have sat....

OP seems to think that latency works only by distance, but cables and especially peering/transit are also geographic, money and politically motivated.

The traffic going from/to Asia from HI (as in end-users) is likely extremely small to US mainland bound and with traffic being cheaper via CA (and backhaul also, plus easier dealing by US soil and so on) it makes no sense to maintain a leg to JP outside of backup and selling longhaul transport.

Thanked by 1mli
  • Thanks for the replies guys. I was able to find some IP addresses belonging to data centers @doughmanes pointed out. Traceroutes from Australian looking glasses to those addresses go first to mainland US and the to Hawaii resulting in 180-240ms latency. So I'm probably looking for something that does not exists :(

@oneilonline New Zealand is more equal but still not good since it's about away 40ms from AU and 130ms from California. There are couple of servers there already.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • GamerTech24GamerTech24 Member
    edited February 2017

I tried searching for this too, a server in hawaii that traffic could go Australia --> Hawaii and New Zealand --> Hawaii and United States --> Hawaii but as mentioned earlier they all seem to go Australia --> United States --> Hawaii, which adds additional latency but I guess there isn't really much else you can do or find sadly enough.

If something does come around like this it would offer an awesome in the middle solution so players from the US and countries like AU or NZ get around the same latency without suffering from a server being either in AU or US which would result in one connection going farther than the other. I'm surprised with all the locations companies like Equinix, etc have that they don't have a DC in Hawaii.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited February 2017

ethancedrik said: I'm surprised with all the locations companies like Equinix, etc have that they don't have a DC in Hawaii.

Very simple actually:

• Power costs much more than on mainland (even higher than Europe) and grid is SPOF
    • Space is expensive
    • Seismic active (entire region)
    • Emergency fuel supply only by ship
    • Complicated legal system (but not as bad as Louisiana)
    • Backhaul needed in each direction (= BW costs)

HI is used for disaster recovery with inside US requirements (else EU is cheaper) or because your company is based there, other makes not much sense.

As fun fact though, if we go by statistic it is unsafe as the only direct US soil (not Guam and Virgin islands which are special) that was attacked by an Asian power.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • I wonder if this will ever be possible, it probably would take a decent amount of effort to get full interconnectivity and IX between Asia and Oceania via transoceanic fiber optic cables and full routing set up and all that.

It probably was a lot easier to set up everything going into the US before anywhere else so it may stay that way for a very long time unless someone with a lot of money to invest in a different system comes along