Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rant: Rude / Poor Customer Service
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Rant: Rude / Poor Customer Service

randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

Apparently, if you tell a customer that what they are asking is not part of the service, that makes you rude, or have 'poor customer support'.

So if you sell hosting, and the customer expect you to also build a website for them, and you say 'sorry, we only sell hosting', that apparently means you have poor support!

If someone buys a domain from ANOTHER provider, and needs assistance, and you politely say "please contact your registrar for support", again.. POOR SUPPORT!

If someone buys an umanaged server, and then asks to install/configure/fix some software on it, and then you say "I'm sorry, we don't do that", or "Certainly, that will cost $50/hr", guess what? I think you know.

And finally, if you come on LET to rant about the every day struggles of dealing with this BS.. you get...

Comments

• time4vpstime4vps Member, Host Rep

That's how they roll, they have one speed, one gear - "POOR SUPPORT".

• Scam!

Thanked by 1JackH
  • You do know they are your customers, and as customers are always right, the least you can do is do extra work for them for free... /s

• The struggles of being a hosting provider

Thanked by 1jh
  • randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

@Pandy said:
    You do know they are your customers, and as customers are always right, the least you can do is do extra work for them for free... /s

The customer is ALWAYS right? Oh man.. think of all the free things I'm entitled to. I'm a customer too! Oh yes baby!

Thanked by 1doghouch
  • The people are very vindictive when you tell them to do something not because they want to. It is best not to pay attention

• YuraYura Member
    edited February 2017

There is a thing called FAQ. You can collect all those frequently asked questions (as you did in OP but not in a asshat rant way) and gently explain them to your customers before they become one. No one would read it? Well, you do have ToS and AUP, nothing prevents provider to show a screen of actually readable and easy to understand information (beside all the legal covering-our-asses ToS, AUP pages) and you will save yourself from lots of troubles. Can you make it a part of your pre-sale process or all you care about is how fast they are going to checkout?

If nothing works and you come to conclusion that dealing with all these stupid dumbshit morons providers sometimes call "clients" then it is a good time to realize that dealing with customers is not your forte and apply for a different position.

• Yura said: There is a thing called FAQ

Personally never read FAQ :)

• @jenkki said:

Yura said: There is a thing called FAQ

Personally never read FAQ :)

You must be a very smart person then.

Thanked by 1switsys
  • I don't miss the "well its legal in my country" and "I will post on all the forums!!!" type comments from customers working for hosting providers. Luckily my local services have high enough margins (aka profit) where I don't get these types of customers.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I think you need to stop listening to the loud minority :)

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • Instead of saying 'Sorry we only sell hosting why not ring off some alternative companies or suggest some you've used before. You'll not only make them happy, they'll stay longer because you've done the right thing..

But whatever keep fucking complaining like a baby.

ATHK said: But whatever keep fucking complaining like a baby.

Classic LET. I was expecting that to be the first comment actually.

And no they would not be happy since they expected it free with their hosting. I shortened it for the purpose of this thread. In reality I did offer some suggestions where to get design work done (including templates they could pick up for a few 10 bucks).

But hey, you can complain like a baby all you like. Seems we have both exercised that right. Should we form a cry baby club? You can be co-founder!

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • @randvegeta said:

And no they would not be happy since they expected it free with their hosting. I shortened it for the purpose of this thread. In reality I did offer some suggestions where to get design work done (including templates they could pick up for a few 10 bucks).

But hey, you can complain like a baby all you like. Seems we have both exercised that right. Should we form a cry baby club? You can be co-founder!

You're pretty pathetic..

• OMFG SCAM I PUT PAYPAL DISPUTE YOU FART MOTHER

• ljsealsljseals Member
    edited February 2017

May be if you made tutorials on your website site it would both increase the traffic from Google..(SEO) and show people how they accomplish certain tasks. May take some time but you could possibly outsource it. God bless you.
    fiverr.com
    elance.com

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I don't think these are unreasonable requests, actually. There are providers who provide all of those services: web site design, handling domains, etc. A fair number of people think you buy your .com from the design firm that built your web site and maintains it.

What's unreasonable is (a) the customer not understanding what he bought, and (b) making threats.

ATHK said: Instead of saying 'Sorry we only sell hosting why not ring off some alternative companies or suggest some you've used before. You'll not only make them happy, they'll stay longer because you've done the right thing..

Not sure about the "right thing" but it's good business...get a referral fee. But I could see it also becoming a hassle unless you know the company you're referring to very well.

randvegeta said: But hey, you can complain like a baby all you like.

ATHK said: You're pretty pathetic..

Thanked by 1ehab
  • oneilonlineoneilonline Member, Host Rep

Are they a valid customer? Sometimes when they are using a stolen CC, they try to find reason for a chargeback, that way they get the money = stealing money from the CC.

OK...there is a lady doing the "I'm watching you!" the ENTIRE time I type this....SO distracting! LOL

• I know I'm sometimes that terror customer, because I have very special specific needs.

I am starting to lose patience with DatabaseByDesign, though. They're charging me $24/yr for a second IP (retroactive to my service starting in December), which still hasn't been provisioned since I requested it on the 9th. They don't seem to read or care about their ticket system, and their only non-ticket contact is "Emergency", which I am not currently having.

Just give me my goddamn IP.

• Classical case of professional illness. What I mean: For you as a pro things are clear; a domain is a domain, hosting is exactly that, hosting, managed is managed, etc.

For many people out there, probably the vast majority, however, that whole internet thing is a weird, complex conglomerate, a strange mix.

For them you are "their internet pro" and they will run with anything related to their internet presence to you.

Rather than seeming to brush them off unfriendly (creating the situation for them complaining) you might want to use the same pretext as them and even earn on it, i.e. "Unfortunately we don't have the people and expertise on board as we are very specialized in bare hosting only. But when we ourselves need web design, we turn to company xyz (where you get a commission); maybe they could solve your problem, too"

Thanked by 3jar MikeA imok

@ATHK said:

@randvegeta said:

You're pretty pathetic..

Oh my feelings are hurt! I take it back. Youre not a cry baby... You MAKE people cry! Shame!

• @randvegeta said:

@ATHK said:

@randvegeta said:

You're pretty pathetic..

Oh my feelings are hurt! I take it back. Youre not a cry baby... You MAKE people cry! Shame!

You're just proving my point even more.. Welcome to my blacklist.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Levity didn't work, so let's try this...

This discussion has been closed.