Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Scaleway Workload Intensive Cloud Servers - 6 and 8 Core
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

New Scaleway Workload Intensive Cloud Servers - 6 and 8 Core

Scaleway added even more cloud servers to their range but I have a feeling they haven't thought about their bare metal as their 6 core model seems worse then the similarily price c2750 bare metal.

https://blog.online.net/2017/02/23/workload-intensive-cloud-servers-new-variants/

Thanked by 1datanoise

Comments

• They just trying to innovate something for pump money from unsuspected folks

Thanked by 1johnnymatt
  • @jenkki said:
    They just trying to innovate something for pump money from unsuspected folks

Sort of but the 16gb baremetal is a more obvious culprit of that by only other 50gb instead of 100/150

• Those are 6 xeon cores, not 8 atom cores. Should be faster.

• Disks are Network Block Device?

• vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

@zilch said:
    Disks are Network Block Device?

Yes, same as the other scaleway instances, no raid.

• vfuse said: no raid.

That's not good. But it's great that they now allow smaller instances, performance is quite good for the buck. It can be a great temporary solution (as there is no contract / no minimum period).

• datanoise said: That's not good.

+1, Completely kills the idea.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Who needs raid when you can duplicate everything on more than one server cheap :)

• zilchzilch Member
    edited February 2017

Someone said: Lets complain because there is no raid.

Tried to launch kvm virt machine at 17.99€/m and 23.99€/m bare metal. Expected excellent performance but it was unusable, I think because nbd. So seems Workload Intensive doesn't change situation for such task.

• tested the higher end ones. not too impresive really for the cost http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/8249800

• I tested the 60gb one a couple weeks ago. There's another thread about it on LET somewhere. It's a Xeon D-1531 processor (6 cores 12 threads) and it seemed to me that I got the whole cpu performance (no noisy neighbor). That put it about equal to the i7-3770 and E3-1230v3 that I use more steadily. That's around 2.5x the Avoton (Atom) C2750 (or was it 2758) that the regular x86 stuff runs on.

Conclusion was that it's nice if you need a lot of ram for a short time, but not that cost effective if it's cpu you after. My guess was that the 120gb model has the same cpu as the 60gb, but I didn't confirm this.

• Hope they will support PP payment method soon :)